Puddle lamps and interior lights staying on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lamps and interior lights staying on

kreimund

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 4 door
2002 Explorer - I have a problem with my puddle lamps and interior light staying on . My drivers side puddle lamp does not come on even though bulb is good, passenger puddle light comes
on. The only way to turn off inside lights and right puddle lamp is to use dimmer control to turn off interior lights. Now, if I pull puddle lamp relay in the rear relay box behind passenger side quarter trim panel, all puddle lamps go out and interior light work normally. They shut off in about 25 seconds. As soon as I plug relay back in lights will not go out. Power side view mirrors work OK with relay in or out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your door ajar light on when this happens?Alot of people here are having issues with the drivers door switch which shows door ajar,and it shows the same symptoms you describe.

Never get door ajar, I have checked all doors and rear hatch and window. All seem to work just fine.

Looks like a door ajar situation.
In my Ex 2002 XLT also happen that thing and the door ajar light does'nt come on until several minutes later, and only before that I turn off and on the ignition. Finally I find that the rear window gate was not properly closed. A little slam to it and every solved.
I hope that helps .

Thanks Andypinto, but I Never get door ajar when all doors are closed, I have checked all doors and rear hatch and window. All seem to work just fine.

My 02 XLS, same problem door ajar, interior light stays on and if you leave the radio on after turning on the ignition and open the door the radio won't turn off. I have not found the fix.

i have the same problem. I have replaced the gem module hoping that would fix it, but it didn't.

i have the same problem. I have replaced the gem module hoping that would fix it, but it didn't.

Well I was thinking GEM or Security Module for this one, but didn't want to say it and have someone replace one with no luck. What did you pay for the new GEM? Also, what is the build date for your Ex?

hook up a scanner and monitor the GEM module PIDs and you'll see whats going on. It might point you in a direction

-Drew

i got a new gem form ebay for 30 bucks. i was pulled from the same exact model as mine so there was no need the have it flashed

i got a new gem form ebay for 30 bucks. i was pulled from the same exact model as mine so there was no need the have it flashed

Maybe you could get the Security Module from the same place for about the same price. Still be cheaper than taking it to Ford for troubleshooting.

2002 Explorer - I have a problem with my puddle lamps and interior light staying on . My drivers side puddle lamp does not come on even though bulb is good, passenger puddle light comes
on. The only way to turn off inside lights and right puddle lamp is to use dimmer control to turn off interior lights. Now, if I pull puddle lamp relay in the rear relay box behind passenger side quarter trim panel, all puddle lamps go out and interior light work normally. They shut off in about 25 seconds. As soon as I plug relay back in lights will not go out. Power side view mirrors work OK with relay in or out.

Why doesn't the puddle light for the driver's door work? Did it lose power or ground? What about the relay, could it be bad? I had a similar problem with the door ajar light and it was the ground inside the driver's door, but I don't have puddle lamps. Do you have a wiring diagram? It would help to narrow it down.

Back