Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
How long should the average u-joint last? I have a clunk in my drivetrain, and It really feels like a u-joint, but I know they have less then 10k on them. They were new when I had a new rear driveshaft made after the SAS. Not sure what else it could be...replased so much, that I'm not sure where to start. The only thing that has a lot of ware, would be the t-case.

:confused: Any ideas anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one knows?:confused:

I've seen u-joints last 150K plus....but I've seen some destroy in couple thousand miles. It is all depending on how much angle and torture they go through. 10K is def young. Are you greasing the joints up after you install them? they come pre-lubed, but def not enough! Spicers are great to use.

-Drew

I'm pretty sure they are Spicers. They were already installed on the driveshaft when I bought the shaft.

I guess I could remove the rear shaft and try driving in 4wd, with only the front axle working. That would tell me a little more, if it's in front or behind the t-case:rolleyes:

So now I am wondering if it is the U-joint. It acually feel like the pinion is rocking up and down. When ever I apply torque. On the way to work I go up and over a hill in traffic, and every time I stop you can feel it reset it self.:mad:

check the pinion bearing/yoke on your 8.8
When they go they GO so it may feel loose just by getting under there and grabbing it

When they go they GO so it may feel loose just by getting under there and grabbing it

I hope that's not what it is..It only has about 10k on it..:( and It's going to be a real pita to tare the whole axle apart this time:mad:

the pinion seal and bearing can be replaced without taking the 8.8 apart I BELIEVE

could it be your slip yoke?

the pinion seal and bearing can be replaced without taking the 8.8 apart I BELIEVE

could it be your slip yoke?

You sure about that? I know the crush sleve can be replased with out removining the pinion, but I don't think the seal can, but I could be wrong:rolleyes:

slip yoke on the driveshaft it self? :scratch: Hmmm I know it has a zerk fitting for greeasing, but again, only 10k on it.

get under the truck and do a shake down test thats the best place to start

Well I tried shaking the driveshft before, and that sucker didn't even budge. I was also thinking of getting Stic-cam down there to investigate.:D

hell yeah thats a great idea

Actually, it just popped in my head what it could be. (insert smilely with lightbulb here)

I replased the Trans mount not to long ago, and I wonder if it's not tight all the way. That would for sure do this! :eek:

Sorry just saw your thread... I would look into lubricating the drive shaft slip joint...

Also check the nut on the transfercase flange. I've seen that come loose before.

I have had issues with the Ford trans mounts before, I LOVE a steel bolt into threaded aluminum = SUCKS

Plus the nice sandwhich with the exhaust hanger is always good

Dont get me started on the glue a piece of rubber to a piece of metal = sturdy mount idea either....

Yeah I took the hanger out. It didn't fit with the last trans mount I bought for some reason:confused: I think I'm on my 3rd trans mount.

as for the motor mounts...nope still have not replased them, I've had them for about 2 years though.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I took the hanger out. It didn't fit with the last trans mount I bought for some reason:confused: I think I'm on my 3rd trans mount.

as for the motor mounts...nope still have not replased them, I've had them for about 2 years though.:D

Ok could the bad motor mount have broken the Trans mount, form the excess movement?

Back