Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, I didn't finish the mower.
I took these in yesterday. Full gloss chrome hybrid

Still have the fan to do-it is painted with some hell that my blaster will not cut off:mad: .

Attachments

• chrome 001.jpg
    chrome 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,031
  • chrome 002.jpg
    chrome 002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,026

Nice work... :thumbsup:

As for your air compressor setup do you run an air dryer now? Whenever I sandblast my water separator starts misting up and collecting water which eventually reaches the gun. :banghead: meaning its time to take a break and let the tank cool down so the water will separate out..

Nice work... :thumbsup:

As for your air compressor setup do you run an air dryer now? Whenever I sandblast my water separator starts misting up and collecting water which eventually reaches the gun. :banghead: meaning its time to take a break and let the tank cool down so the water will separate out..
Yup--exactly-

I get about 15 minutes out of it--then it starts misting past the seperator

Yup--exactly-

I get about 15 minutes out of it--then it starts misting past the seperator

You can always do the poor man's air dryer setup... basically I coil up 50' of air hose and put it in an old ice cooler. I then place several blocks of ice in the cooler along with enough water so the air hose is completely submerged. The result is the dew point is lowered causing the water vapor to mist up/turn to a liquid and get trapped by the down stream water separator.

For ice I just fill several 2 liter soda bottles 80% full of water and freeze for a day.

I saw that done in a bodyshop in 1999 by a painter friend.

Nice new toy Jon, great results. We have a couple of businesses here now, and it's in high demand, small scale, but good. I'm going to get my trailer hitch redone after I deburr it and strengthen it some. Regards,

So what I really need to do is build some sort of radiator-in line, with a fan cooling it.

An intercooler-so to speak--

Gosh--intercooled compressors are $$$$$$$

Actually that is a fairly good idea, it's a whole lot cheaper than buying a compressor size 2-3 times bigger than needed. More tank volume helps, but do you have room for a 150 gallon tank? I don't.

How close is your house AC unit? What are the chances that you could reroute your AC lines to a cooling box nearby/next to etc, and simply run the air hose first to the cooling box, and then to your separator, than to the tools. You would need to remake two AC lines to lead the coolant outside to the cooling box, and back.

I thought of that because that's what I'm going to do for a cooled driver's seat. I'm going to have two new AC lines made, to lead to and cool down a box full of water. You can buy an evaporator/condensor and mount inside of the box. Just a thought, my project will cost about $250-300 I think, including a $150 cooling seat cover.

Why not just an old fridge with a freezer- drill two holes and run a big coil of copper or tubing in a big as possible tub of water, soon to be ice? You could keep beer in the bottom :thumbsup:

Man I like your thinking--

an interbeercooler!

Actually, a good idea--

Maybe a series or array of cheapo driers to let you run longer??

The interbeerator-

It serves two purposes, you could still keep your liquor in the door!

Copper would work best, but man that stuff is high anymore

I have often thought about that- a keg in the bottom, run it through an ice cold coil, then out the tap- ummm umm.

Woops, sorry I didn't mean to hijack, we have a beer thread here

Powdercoating must go on!

Good brainstorming, solve problems and keep hydrated at the same time. Night,

Well, ideally I need about 11-15 cfm @ 75psi constant.
This little compressor I have is rated 6cfm @90--
I am going for a 5-7hp 2 stage 80 gallon unit. I should be able to blast anything I can fit into my cabinet without having to wait---

Attachments

• skatblast 770.jpg
    skatblast 770.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,834

Let me know if you can't find a compressor down there, I could pick one up for you here in topeka, then bring it down with me, so you don't have to pay shipping.

I love you guys!!

Thanks Eric--mind keeping an eye out on sales? I'll get a sunday paper--

Harbor Freight, and Sears have powder coat systems. How much was your system? Could one of these make shiny chrome parts? They sell shiny chrome, and gold alternators. I've always wondered how they did this. How long do you have to bake the parts in the oven? Could a heat lamp like the type they have in auto body shops work for big parts? Could you repaint your vehicle this way?

Back