Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pic Request- Your Explorer Towing

Ill start the show with my pic-

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

trucks_013_Medium_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've posted this pic a few times now, but I still really like it :)

(Maybe its b/c its an Explorer based vehicle towing a U-Haul, or maybe its just the Welcome to Colorado sign ;))

Attachments

• Resize of P7300008.JPG
    Resize of P7300008.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 15,209

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

OK here are two of my tow setups, one is a 18ft utility trailer but it is at my BIL's house right now. Oh and there is a scrappy 4x8 utility that I use for garbage to the local landfill.

The heaviest I towed with this vehicle is the popup it's GVW is 5100 but it weighs about 4900 with a full load of family crap! it is by far the biggest popup I've ever seen, and I don't see too many of them around, but it is has been a great camper.

The trailer is a 5x10 utility that I use to pickup lumber and concrete for my home projects as well as many of my fishing/kayaking/float trips. It is my swiss army trailer. The heaviest load on it was 1 ton of Portland cement, It was a very short tow 4 miles to home so all is good.

Attachments

• IMGP0122web.jpg
    IMGP0122web.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 5,464
  • IMGP0125web.jpg
    IMGP0125web.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 5,364

That is a beautiful barn/stable. Is it yours?

No, it's not our stable. It belongs to a horse trainer in the Oslo (Norway) area http://www.stall-hammersborg.com/. Our stable is smaller but will soon be as nice as his, we are renovating it this summer/fall and it's getting better and better... :)

2 pics of mine. 5X8 trailer...

Kinda dark but this is the heaviest thing I've towed. 87 Grand Wagoneer. Trailer and all is probably around 5500# so somewhere between a 10k and 11k GCW :eek:

Other then taking off from a dead stop (3.73s, a stick and 35s) it pulled great. I easily maintained 70 on the highway and had no handling issues at all. Stopping wasn't a problem (trailer brakes). I wouldn't pull it around town much unless I had lower gears (4.56s coming soon) but other then that it pulled a lot better then I expected.

Attachments

• Tow (Medium).jpg
    Tow (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 5,317

Also pull the boat in the background regularly with the Sport Trac. 20' runabout, Approx. 4000# trailer and all. Also pulls great. Even stops fine with no trailer brakes (trailer has surge brakes but they don't work).

Attachments

• IMG_0282 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0282 (Medium).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 5,410

CougarX, I like your truck, very sexy, very clean lines. Best looking sport trac I've seen!!

Starcraft RT 10

you should put some shackles on that thing to lift it even with your truck :D

Very nice truck BTW...

I did an SOA on my small trailer and have since installed 30" tires.

lifted-trailer.jpg

Its now the same height as the explorer.. just makes for interesting towing when someone borrows the trailer.

~Mark

you should put some shackles on that thing to lift it even with your truck
naw it`s perfectly level with our f-150 now, I just need a different drop hitch, There`s only a couple places I take it with the Ex that are close to home anyway.

Stuff like that may have something to do with it :D

But, that's what its for and as long as I don't break stuff, its all OK with me.

well I do the same stuff, It's just that I cheat and use air shocks to pump up an save the leafs. I would guess that trailer unloaded would go close to 5000 with 600 or more on the tounge requiring load leveling bars.

so that begs the questions was it loaded or unloaded. :D

Back