RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Evan,
I am doing this mod Friday evening and will take lots of pics. I will take some pics of the brackets tomorrow. Also when you weighed your mounty did you subract the weight of the tires? You have at least 100# per wheel.. I think I read somewhere that the ST weighs about 4300.

I'd say if you are willing to pay, they'd be willing to weigh. :p: I think its about $6 ??

I was thinking the truck stop idea as well. I am thinking you just put one of the front wheels on the scale to get your sprung weight + unsprung weight. Then later subtract a 100-150lbs for brakes, tires/wheels, and half the weight of control arms etc. (unsprung weight).

What do you guys think? Accurate enough???

CMAX

Definitely need lots of pics you guys.

The conversion is now COMPLETE!!!!!!!! Pics were taken...... Now I am finishing the 3" body lift and then off to get my new 35's...

Also there is over 100lbs of torsion bar crap that is now sitting in a pile in my garage

Chad

If you live in the midwest, you can find a grain elevator, and they would do it for free as well. Some of them the scale is faceing the outside window, so you can weight things when it's closed as well.

Shock option

Well fellas,

As I had mentioned before, I was looking for a quality and dependable shock to do the coilover conversion and I think I found it. QA1 shocks are the answer for a stylish red chrome full threaded body and the coilover kit will cost me about $175 bucks... thats for the non-adjustable type. the Adjustable type is more mula and about $350 . Yet, this interested me more cause of one the different color but yet lets think about it. As far as application. Stock and Dirt track racing cars tend to really put some miles and hard use to their shocks yet they hold up cause of the quality. Therefore thats my motives to get the QA1 shocks. The wholesaler who I ordered mine from does Stock and Dirt Track racing cars but as a personal side venture and he actually has done the same thing to his trucks with incredible success. If you have any questions, the first link will be the PDF file catalog of QA1 products. The second will be the vendor I'm going through. Keep in mind that I live in North Georgia and my vendor is in TN. However, if you care to, you can call the customer support at QA1 and they will give you a list of local dealers. That being said the third link will be QA1's own website. I hope this helps.

QA1 Catalog

PPM Racing Products

QA1

Here are some pics..I have more pics of the brackets as well.

Chad
finished_1.jpg

cutting%20bump%20stop.jpg

cutting%20bump%20stop_2.jpg

lower%20shock%20mount_3.jpg

upper%20shock%20mount.jpg

shock%20tower%20gusset_2.jpg

shock%20tower%20gusset_1.jpg

finished_2.jpg

Very nice!

Are you satisfied with the 12" springs? Would 14" be better?

I believe I can make most of those brackets myself, short of the upper mount bracket.

How does it ride and handle?

Pictures of the BL and 35's?

And, what length are your limit straps?

MAN that looks close to the CV. Can I get a pic from the top?

I am trying to ditch my bilstiens for something else, just doesn't look like much clearance on the CV.

Evan,
The limit straps are not on there, I had them mounted to the shock tower where the gussets are, so I need to get shorter straps, mount to the frame. Ride is great, and handling is alot better. And the 12" shocks are the way to go, if I had 14" springs the collars would hit the upper balljoint at full extension.

Boomin,
The pics are at bad angles, there is plenty of room between the axle and the spring. I think you are probably seeing the blue paint on the axle and the scratched spring, that happened during installation before I had the upper balljoint re-connected to the spindle. But I take another pic.

Chad

Oh I forgot....

One of the nice aspects of the QA1 shocks is that they can be mounted upside down... this is nice because the coilsprings would interfere at all with the CV's.... just FYI

If you want I can draw up the mounts in CAD and export to any type of CAD File if not PDF. I will also make a thread for the install when the time comes. Lots of pictures. Just let me know, my brackets should be here later this week.
CMAX

cmax: Are you still going to draw these up in CAD? I am going to do the coil swap but I can't really justify spending $200 for brackets when I could make them with $10 of steel. :rolleyes: This way we don't have to worry about RCD not playing nice down the road too :p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back