The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!!

Exploderpilot

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Nuevo, CA (where?)
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Titan SE
I'm sorry folks, but i have a horrible feeling about his new "taurus X"
I think ford is going to cave in and start selling tall station wagons with hybrid power trains.....mark my word.....the end is near. treasure your ex......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets just hope your wrong!! lol
would really hate to see such a great truck be replace by a horrible wagon

I know. i thought about it right after my last post in the photo thread.

when you told me about it..i goggled it and was like..WHAT is that thing..wow
z-1.jpg

**shakes head in disbelief**

it's the ford cr-v.
the ford answer to sagging explorer sales, and a sad day in ford history.....

I doubt that the Explorer is on its way out, all Ford has to do is offer a hybrid model, and a more fuel efficient engine to rejuvenate the SUV. I think that the Explorer will be around when hydrogen starts to fuel vehicles.

I seriously pray that you are right. It still annoys me to no end that ford would build that thing though. It's hideous.....

Yeah, i guess i'd have to agree with you to a point. My stock 93 went places i had no business taking it(in 2wd i might add), and i just don't see a 3rd gen being able to do it. But they still have style, and they are still readily distinguishable as trucks, or at least cousin to the truck. they have big front fenders, and an imposing presence, even when set up as street rods....

Have no fear, the Taurus X is nothing more than the Ford Freestyle without the CVT tranny. It's a crossover, I'm sure it wont replace the X.

The explorer died in 2001 as far as I'm concerned, the 3rd gens are ok, but not really being able to lift it takes away it's real suv status as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. A true SUV is a truck in my opinion. And if a truck doesn't have at least a solid rear axle it's not a truck as far as I'm concerned.

I just saw one at my local mall here in So Cal and it was all black.. It looked like a hearse!!!!! Darn ugly!!!!!
Keep the Exp going!!!! Luv my '96!!!!

I gotta invent an engine. something that will bring back the freedom to drive whatever you want.....

i want to keep my 96' till the end of time....where is ford going....

Ford should really re-release the good ol' explorers!
Besides, with the way all of the off road vehicles are going, such as jeep, hummer, and ford, if they had a re release of those, they would be some of the only off-road capable vehicles being produced!
Maybe they could do a re-release with solid axles all around, lower stock gears, 33" stock tires..
Sorry, I'm just dreaming now:D

The explorer died in 2001 as far as I'm concerned, the 3rd gens are ok, but not really being able to lift it takes away it's real suv status as far as I'm concerned.
I think the main reason they did such a drastic change was due to the roll-over issues. I know personally when that started to hit the news..i was like, i will never buy a explorer..look at me now, i own 2:confused:
I actually bought a 3rd gen b/c IMO looks better than the 2nd gen..not sayin the 2nd gen is ugly or anything like that..but the way it looks is more appealing to me...just my personal opinion
Have no fear, the Taurus X is nothing more than the Ford Freestyle without the CVT tranny. It's a crossover, I'm sure it wont replace the X.

Well i hope your right bro. I use to own a Chevy Trailblazer and those trucks are incredible..i never had problems with it that wasn't caused by me (lol) and it going to be replaced w/ the horrible GMC Acadia, chevy is in the making of a chevy version but on the same platform..if you can can it a paltform:rolleyes:

Well, I hate to say it. But I think the title of the thread is correct. Consider:

1. The Explorer is made by the same company that tried to kill the Mustang. Repeatedly. Heck, Ford saw no value in the brand built by "Taurus" and only brought the name back after "500" tanked badly. Is this a company that could see what we see in these vehicles?

2. Ford desperately needs to dramatically improve their sales to stay alive and people just aren't interested in rollover-prone, gas-guzzling, rough-riding trucks. 30 mpg mini-Utes and crossover wagons designed with pregnant women in mind are the vehicles in demand by the masses.

3. Ford cut back production at its Louisville Assembly Plant, where it makes the Explorer and Explorer Sport Trac, last November because demand for the Explorer had decreased over the previous three years, and the vehicle's sales rate fell "well below the plant's capacity." as the AP reported.

4. Techieman33 has already pointed out that current Explorers are as different from 1st and 2nd gen Explorers as Ford could make them without going the expense of ditching the platform. But even with these changes, the formerly best-selling Explorer hasn't been making anybody's top-10 list of SUVs lately. I think with the Escape, Freestyle, and now Taurus X, you can be sure Ford's actively seeking a replacement.

Is the Taurus X the death nail for the Explorer? Who knows? But I do think time is running out for the Explorer. I just hope if Ford does kill it, they really kill it. I, for one, don't ever want to see the name "Explorer" on something that looks like a Rav4.

I believe the reason they brought back the Taurus is because they weren't selling those awful Freestyles and Five-Hundreds and familiarity (the name) sells. Many people like the same things, even if it's in a horrendous looking form. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks kinda like Ford's bid to Subaru's market line of larger wagons.. like the Forrester.

forrester.jpg

Back