Help FROADER pick new tires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help FROADER pick new tires

36" - 38" on a 15" wheel. I'm not getting new wheels.

Which ones and why? And no Procomps! Take into account the type of wheeling I do.

List:

1. TSL SXs
  2. MT/Rs
  3. IROK (eh)
  4. BFG KM not KM2
  5. ?
  6. ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. TSL SXs

I ran those with some tread grooving to add more flex. Still didn't flex that great, but they did flat spot every night causing a badump, badump, badump, ride until they heated up and smoothed out.

2. MT/Rs
    Ran those for the shortest time of all... Didn't perform "great" in any conditions.

3. IROK (eh)

My favorite. I'm on my second set. I believe it's the best bang for the buck. Bias plies don't flat spot like the TSL SX. They also have a much softer compound which works great in the rocks, but wears quicker on the road.

4. BFG KM not KM2

No personal experience.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have heard many a good thing on Iroks from this site and other people who have used them and plan on getting them as my next tire. They come in many various sizes and are available in up to 39" on a 15" rimhttp://www.intercotire.com/site25.php. Another thing, when i was doing research on the right tire/size and price, i used lots off offroad magazines(peterson's 4 wheel and offroad and other smaller ones) and went through all the tire ads and could find up to a 15 dollar difference from ad to ad. It was like they might have the irok for 15 less but have ssr's for 15 more than the previous ad. Then you take that number and im sure there is some local shop that has a lowest price guarantee(Allsouth Autosports where BMXking works has this) and you can get the tire at the same price with convenience and maybe they even beat the price. Just some thoughts.

So far I love my new Trxus MT tires.. and they do make them in 37x12.50r15.

I've only been to TH and my little test track near the house with the Trxus (and DD duty too).. And they grip so much better than my BFG ATs ever did. I'd say they are gripping better than the Geolander MTs I ran a years ago (which I did run at TH once).

~Mark

x2 I like mine as well. Not much testing of them on rock... but they are great for everything I've used them on.
579.jpg

Colin, I heard a 4wp add on the radio this morning for the x-mas season, and they said if you mentioned the add you would get 20% off :thumbsup:

38 inch mickey thompson mtz's are 370 apiece!

for a pair, 20% off is like a 140 dollar discount?

Colin, I heard a 4wp add on the radio this morning for the x-mas season, and they said if you mentioned the add you would get 20% off :thumbsup:

Was this just for tires or anything in the store?

I belive anything, I need to stop by there tomorrow and pick up some deflators, so I'll find out;)

I had no idea 4WP price matches! That's great news.

[*]IROK (eh)

My favorite. I'm on my second set. I believe it's the best bang for the buck. Bias plies don't flat spot like the TSL SX. They also have a much softer compound which works great in the rocks, but wears quicker on the road.

Softer compound compared to the SX?

...i've got 2 big o bigfoots you can borrow just to get her rolling till you get some new tires...they are still legal tread...;)

Definitely.

Wow, i've beed looking at the SX and Irok, may end up with the SX now since i DD my spooled junk. I heard they wear quick but man that kinda puts it into perspective.....

And we don't have rocks here on the right coast

Picked up my deflators, and it's on any one item, I believe. So Colin need 3 more people to go buy his tires:D

another vote for the Iroks as long as you dont do tons of highway, however "Dave" from out there drove his to Moab and back last year, I love mine in rocks, dirt, mud, snow, pavement manners aren't bad just wear faster, or look at the radials they come in a 37 for us anti-dubs.

So I'm getting these from Dannyboy, which are 37x12.5x15 SSRs. He's giving me a smoking deal for the wheels and tires.

Not my first choice obviously, but will be great for the price and the amount that I use this thing.

Thanks Dan!

Attachments

• flexed rear (Medium).jpg
    flexed rear (Medium).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 237

Back