• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel

JPistheman

Reaction score
City, State
snohomish, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
wondering how complex it is to install a after market steering wheel on my 91 xlt?

is there any guides out there?

thanks,,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive done this on a civic before but not a explorer but Shoudnt be too hard since theres no airbag. Horn button most likely unscrews and there a probably a nut under that that holds the steering wheel on and once you get that off you may need a puller to remove the steering wheel. Ive done this on a civic but not a explorer.

bout how long did it take ya?

yea this should be real easy as long as the steering wheel is the correct part. youd unscrew the "cap" the rubber thing that sais ford i believe the screws are on the back of the wheel. and from ther youd either use a puller or a redneck puller (long prybar across back of wheel, pull hard towards you get someone else to hit the center bolt hard with a tap and hammer) should pop right off. tuen install new wheel. it shouldn take more then 30min taken ur time

oh wow. figured it would be way more involved. thanks for the help.

I've been wondering about this, I love those classic looking wooden ones, but what have those of you with aftermarket steering wheels done with the cruise control buttons?

yeah man, i dig those old school wooden ones. and a 30min install is way worth it. and you can get some pretty nice deals on craigslist. i just hate the old of the stock ones.

well mounty.. thats just it. you sacrifice those luxuries for the look. however its entriely possible to hookup those controls to an auxilary unit of some kind. some switches mounted elsewher that would control those stock options.

well mounty.. thats just it. you sacrifice those luxuries for the look. however its entriely possible to hookup those controls to an auxilary unit of some kind. some switches mounted elsewher that would control those stock options.

That's what i was thinking about. Just would like to see what others have done with theirs so i know what my options are when the time comes.

Does anyone have any pics of an aftermarket wheel in their X?

I've never seen an aftermarket wheel installed in the 1st Gen.

Ryan

I didn't have cruise control, so I didn't have to move any wires or switches.
2285397_134_full.jpg

how do u like the mod lil x? why did you do this? for the look or comfort orrr? kuz i am content with my steering wheelin my first gen but its by now means lucurious or aestetically pleasing. cept'n the mossy oak cover lol

That steering wheel looks great little x. When i get one i want the same wheel, but with the wood instead of rubber. If you're interested Dora, the reasons i am interested in this is because i just love the vintage look of these wheels, and the smaller wheel diameter. Also, the stock wheel on the ex i am planning to buy is warped and twisted somehow, so why not upgrade at this point? And grant says that they offer optional buttons for cruise control too.

sounds great i would def do that then if i were y ou.. pics wen your done?

Thanks guys,

I've always loved the look of that particular wheel. I wanted to put it on my 1st car sooo bad, but it had an air bag. Finally, 7 or 8 years later, I had a vehicle w/out air bags. I think the stock wheel is straight up ugly. And really like how the wheel sets my explorer apart.

One thing about it: the wheel having a smaller radius means that you have to use a little more muscle to turn the wheel. Not a lot, you get used to it real fast.

Hmm, never thought about that. That's a really good point to consider.

You can move your cruise control buttons anywhere you want, if you decide to keep them. If you don't want to keep the CC, just cut and tape the wires. My friend put them on his A pillar when he got an aftermarket steering wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a 'side' shot.....I wanna see how the adapter looks, compared to the column.

Thanks in advance...

Ryan

Back