Dave is losing coolant!

Bowling Buck

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
2000 Explorer XLT V-6 4.0 liter

Excessive antifreeze consumption the past few weeks. I have changed the thermostat, looked for any leaks, nothing. Sometimes you can smell antifreeze from under the hood, and exhaust. No leaking outside the vehicle or inside.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the exhaust looking when it comes out of the pipe during the first minute or so? Is it a little white-ish than normal?

Could be that ur burning coolant -- which is bad
-or-
Coolant is just leaking in some external nook and evaporating -- which isnt too bad.

Its hard to say , because the mornings are still quite cool here in Connecticut. I guess a little whitish than normal. What are your thoughts

It's hard to say if the exhaust is whitter than normal because the mornings are still cool here in Connecticut. It may be. What may it be ??? If its very white at the beginning??

My thoughts are:

Could be that ur burning coolant -- which is bad
-or-
Coolant is just leaking in some external nook and evaporating -- which isnt too bad.[/QUOTE]

look for radiator edge o ring leaks during first 5 mins (as water warms up).

Ever have a rough start? Maybe after it's sat for awhile?

-Drew

Pull your spark plugs and inspect them. If they have a yellowish/greenish sulfur look too them...you are probably losing coolant past the intake gasket into the combustion chambers.

Response

Thanks for all your educated responses. Within a few days I'm having the coolant system checked for leaks or pressure tested. I'll inform as to the outcome. Also thanks for the info on the spark plugs. Will take everyones input and work on this issue.

Dave

I did look at the radiator cap...O ring was kinda worn and a few splits. I'll replace that also. Thanks for info.

David

Same problem

Yep,

I live in SoCal. I have the same problem right now on a 96 Explorer 4.0 V6 "X" version engine with 119,000 miles. I checked the radiator overflow tank and it is empty and I check the radiator next (WHEN IT IS STONE COLD) and the coolant is low.

I am starting to see a slight leak of only drops of coolant overnight, at the engine mounts on both sides when I crawled under the truck yesterday. I am concerned that I have a leak internally at the intake manifold gasket and I will be checking the spark plugs 1st as recommended here.

I just installed a new rebuilt radiator, new water pump, new radiator cap, new thermostat 2-3 weeks ago. No leaks from the new water pump, thermostat or radiator or from any of the radiator/waterpump hoses or anywhere else on the cooling system. So it has to be either the freeze plugs or an internal leak at the intake manifold gasket.

I will let u guys know. Thanks.

:usa:

My service technician believes it may be a cracked head leaking into the 6th chamber. The coolant is leaking there when idol, and getting burned off when the engine runs, They will also check in intake manifold and she if it may be leaking there, which is a less costly of a job then changing the heads.

I'll keep you posted and again thanks for the input on this matter.

Found out it was coolant leaking into Chamber #4, head gasket or possible cracked block.

O well either way its going to case at least a grand.

Again thanks for all your help in this matter.

Ended up being 2 cracked heads.

wow 2 cracked heads...

I'm afraid of finding out why my coolant is being sipped slowly...i have no leaks, visually at least.

You guys have me nervous now. I've gone through a gallon of coolant since Christmas... I smell it everynow and again when I get out of the car after driving. I'm going to try and do some diagnosis this weekend. Can you guys give me some pointers as to where to start looking? All I'm gonna do is park it in the garage for a day or so, see if there is any dripping. The weird part is... I changed my oil a week ago, and noticed that a hose was leaking what I thought to be coolant. It was yellowish green and smelled like antifreeze. Accept it came from a line to the transcooler. This makes absolutely no sense to me - that couldnt be possible could it?

Oh BTW. I am hearing some chatter coming from the engine. Sounds like a bearing is shot somewhere. My best guess is alternator. But could it be water pump, and if it is, could that be a factor in my coolant loss?

Oh BTW. I am hearing some chatter coming from the engine. Sounds like a bearing is shot somewhere. My best guess is alternator. But could it be water pump, and if it is, could that be a factor in my coolant loss?

Yea, the water pump could be it. Check your oil, though, if there is water in it, that bearing noise may also be crank bearings - which is bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161590&highlight=chirp+squeak

You guys have me nervous now. I've gone through a gallon of coolant since Christmas... I smell it everynow and again when I get out of the car after driving. I'm going to try and do some diagnosis this weekend. Can you guys give me some pointers as to where to start looking? All I'm gonna do is park it in the garage for a day or so, see if there is any dripping. The weird part is... I changed my oil a week ago, and noticed that a hose was leaking what I thought to be coolant. It was yellowish green and smelled like antifreeze. Accept it came from a line to the transcooler. This makes absolutely no sense to me - that couldnt be possible could it?

Check the transmission fluid level-
the trans fluid circulates through the radiator. There could be an internal leak.

Back