Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv

Yeah I know.... wtf!
But I'm doing it. I have lots of fabricating to do, since I can't find anything to just bolt on, because let's face it. That would be way to easy wouldn't it?
I have both turbos, two FMH blow-offs, and all the pipe I need. I have the plans pretty much drawn out.
I'm about to go fire up the torch now and get started, wish me luck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My favorite remote turbo setup is on an infiniti q45.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

because it's the easiest and most sufficient way of obtaining true horsepower without having to build and overhaul a entire engine with a bunch of parts that will equal out to well over twice the cost of a homegrown turbo set up...

BTW Audi S4 00-02 my dream european car has a twin turbo v6 with 250hp stock...and can be modified to 500+ hp with a chip, race gas, and a upgraded turbo system...so in other words turbo is the way to go...

I disagree man theres alot of easier ways to make power such as a remote supercharger (no exhaust work being the big factor). That and a overhaul does not cost twice as much as a turbo setup i can get a .30 kit for under $300 a cam for $110 and machine work for about $300 (heads, block, and intake). It looks like you're living a turbo fairytale here.
That and you make it sound like a overhaul is hard and throwing in a turbo take a couple hours. Most turbo setups are custom work, overhualing an engine is a set process that takes a day max with knowledgeable and capable people.

twin turbo 4.6 mustangs put out 800+ horsepower to the wheel try and get that with just a supercharger and a little port work not going to happen...unless you spray it too...

i'm sorry i just love that super sexy bov swoosh sound ...:)

twin turbo 4.6 mustangs put out 800+ horsepower to the wheel try and get that with just a supercharger and a little port work not going to happen...unless you spray it too...

I don't think they make 800+ hp with out alot of other work done to them. Besides that i don't think the engines internals, trans, or axels could handle it for very long. Seriously you should stop just throwing out numbers like that. Alot of things you're saying just arent true, and you're probaily confusing people.

That and there are superchargers that can push the same psi as turbos they just sap power from it running on the belt system. But its really not all that much. Turbos have more problems with heat and such, just something to think about.

Do You understand
1 thats a cobra, not a mustang... Cobras came with alot of extra goodies over a mustang such as a stock 4.6L DOHC Supercharged engine, upgraded trans, diffy, and 39lb injectors......
2. That was not just a stock engine with twin turbos they noted headers a custom intake, fuel rails and bigger injectors, twin blade throttlebody, also come on 110 octane gas i bet you run that every day at $6.62 a gallon

As for the second link, they are quoting power from the flywheel not from the rear wheels. I'm looking at a dyno sheet of a stock mustang GT makeing 223 HP 257 ft-lbs at the wheels on the mustangs forum. so 300 hp stock is kinda a little off

duh i have a ford ...i know the difference

BTW it's Ford Mustang Cobra just for future reference so technically it is a mustang

Do You understand
1 thats a cobra, not a mustang... Cobras came with alot of extra goodies over a mustang such as a stock 4.6L DOHC Supercharged engine, upgraded trans, diffy, and 39lb injectors......
2. That was not just a stock engine with twin turbos they noted headers a custom intake, fuel rails and bigger injectors, twin blade throttlebody, also come on 110 octane gas i bet you run that every day at $6.62 a gallon

As for the second link, they are quoting power from the flywheel not from the rear wheels. I'm looking at a dyno sheet of a stock mustang GT makeing 223 HP 257 ft-lbs at the wheels on the mustangs forum. so 300 hp stock is kinda a little off
X2. Plus Teksid blocks holds a lot more power than a stock 2V or N/A 4V block will hold. Forged internals, etc., add to the Terminator's potential from the factory.

The boost output of a S/C is limited to the revolutions of the pulley in relation to the motor. You can do a pulley swap to increase boost, but you are still limited the same way.

The newer technology in the centrifugal S/C's puts them w/ in reach of what a turbo can do, but any S/C is still causing some degree of parasitic loss.

The boost from a turbo can be changed w/o necessarily having to change any physical components. Going w/ twins instead of a single turbo will usually increase the lifespan of the turbos as they are sharing the work.

That being said, I think turbo is the cooler way to go and has more potential once you've done the install, but that's just my $.02.

Superchargers, turbo's..they all have there place.

I've been sold on a turbo a long time ago. I did a lot of research and know the pluses and minuses of both set-ups. A turbo is the way to go if you ask me. Yes, a supercharger can produce a lot of power, but I’ve seen A BUNCH of people running centrificals switching to a turbo, and there is a reason for this..

But, to each their own.

BTW it's Ford Mustang Cobra just for future reference so technically it is a mustang

Actualy
A Mustang is a V6 car that all the rental car places have
A Mustang GT is the V8 car
A Mustang Cobra is the V8 supercharged car (this is a SVT car)
Excuse me for leaving out the LX, the Shellby seris and the roush

So when someone is talking about a mustang i think about v6 car when someone mustang gt i think of the V8 car and when somone says mustang cobra i think of the supercharged V8 car. So when somone says
"twin turbo 4.6 mustangs put out 800+ horsepower to the wheel try and get that with just a supercharger and a little port work not going to happen...unless you spray it too..."
I'm probaily gonna assume you're talking about the GT not the 4.6 supercharged DOHC motor because it was rare as hell cause mustang cobras were like $40k new
Obviously SVT cars have alot more upgrades than just some bolt ons, they are completely built for speed in just about all aspects.
Its like saying oh that F-150 out there can run 11s and not saying it was a ford lightning. Or hell i could say i'll race you in my VW golf and bring a Golf GTI W12 (thats right a golf with a twin turbo w12 0-60 in 3.5 sec.). How bout you be more desriptive when posting and that would help save people from confusion. thats what i'm trying to get at. i've said it like 5 times now.

X2. Plus Teksid blocks holds a lot more power than a stock 2V or N/A 4V block will hold. Forged internals, etc., add to the Terminator's potential from the factory.

The boost output of a S/C is limited to the revolutions of the pulley in relation to the motor. You can do a pulley swap to increase boost, but you are still limited the same way.

The newer technology in the centrifugal S/C's puts them w/ in reach of what a turbo can do, but any S/C is still causing some degree of parasitic loss.

The boost from a turbo can be changed w/o necessarily having to change any physical components. Going w/ twins instead of a single turbo will usually increase the lifespan of the turbos as they are sharing the work.

That being said, I think turbo is the cooler way to go and has more potential once you've done the install, but that's just my $.02.

I'm not trying to bring down turbos in any way, infact i love tubros. All i'm saying is superchargers make big power too :D.

I'm not trying to bring down turbos in any way, infact i love tubros. All i'm saying is superchargers make big power too :D.
I didn't take it at that, just giving my input;)

Something I left out: You can also change boost on a Centrifugal S/C by changing out the impeller. Just thought I'd CMA (cover my a$$).

yes superchargers are easier to install and adjust boost, thats all I meant!!! Making a custom exhaust pipe is expensive which rums me away from the install. Best of all if you need to rebuild your supercharger just take the belt off, remove the few bolt that hold the charger in place reinstall the stock belt and there you have NO down time when the charger is getting rebuilt! With a turbo you kinda screwed. Atleast thats how it is for my Paxton unit (no oil lines and such)

I don't think they make 800+ hp with out alot of other work done to them. Besides that i don't think the engines internals, trans, or axels could handle it for very long. Seriously you should stop just throwing out numbers like that. Alot of things you're saying just arent true, and you're probaily confusing people.

Actually a properly built turbo 4.6 Mustang (even with 2V heads) will put down 750-800+rwhp. Heck, a 4.6 with 4v heads will put down 900+ no problem with some cars topping the 1000+ mark. Though they aren't numerous they are out there. Regardless this other guy was referring to the power adder's ability to produce power, not whether the vehicle it happens to be on needs to be built.

That and there are superchargers that can push the same psi as turbos they just sap power from it running on the belt system. But its really not all that much. Turbos have more problems with heat and such, just something to think about.

Actually there is quite a big difference when looking at horsepower per pound of boost made from a supercharger and a turbo. I sure as heck would not label the difference as "not all that much".

Xan I am not exactly agreeing with what this other guy said as I honestly did not read all of his posts. The few posts that I did read I observed you make mention of him needing to get his facts straight. It seems that you need to take a dose of your own medicine here too.

Actualy
A Mustang is a V6 car that all the rental car places have
A Mustang GT is the V8 car
A Mustang Cobra is the V8 supercharged car (this is a SVT car)

There were actually 5 other model years of the 4.6 DOHC Mustang Cobra that were not supercharged. The Terminators were not the only 4v 4.6 V8 Cobra's ever produced though they have been the most popular.

Obviously SVT cars have alot more upgrades than just some bolt ons, they are completely built for speed in just about all aspects.
Its like saying oh that F-150 out there can run 11s and not saying it was a ford lightning. Or hell i could say i'll race you in my VW golf and bring a Golf GTI W12 (thats right a golf with a twin turbo w12 0-60 in 3.5 sec.). How bout you be more desriptive when posting and that would help save people from confusion. thats what i'm trying to get at. i've said it like 5 times now.

Actually when speaking from a "built for speed in just about all aspects" there is not a huge difference between the NA Cobra's and the GT's. Different engine block is slightly lighter, 4V heads were nice, crappy transmission that breaks while even running a minute amount of boost, and of course IRS vs solid rear which is a debate all in itself. The Lightnings are even closer to the regular F-150's then what the 96-01 Cobra's are to the GT's. The Lightnings have the same heads and same bottom end as the regular F-150's do with just a roots supercharger slapped on top. Though there were obvious improvements between the GT's and the NA Cobra's and the F-150's and the L's it still is nowhere near as night and day as you make it seem. It is not like one version came with a fully forged engine backed by a powerglide while running a big return fuel system with 83 lb injectors and a built 9" 4 linked rear and the other came with nothing.

I am just curious but is it this guy's fault that you choose to only pay attention to 2 of the total 7 model years of 4.6 Cobra's produced? Why should he have to mention exactly what trim of car when giving a comparison statement between the merits of a supercharger and the merits of a turbocharged vehicle.

The Teksid's are stronger than the WAP casting aluminum blocks but they are not quite as strong as the cast iron blocks. The Terminators have the cast iron block not the Teksid aluminum block.

Ummm all NA 4v Cobra engines had the Teksid cast block. From 1996-2001. Now there was a 4V 4.6 that did come with the WAP aluminum cast block and those were the 03-04 Mach 1's.

Just a few items you might want to know.

boost pressure isnt produced by how many turbos you have 2 turbos making 3 psi each to equally 6 psi dosent work. The twins will be easiest Ying the outlets from the compressor housings into the manifold. You will need to have a vaccum line from the cold side to the wastegate(s) whatever the springs equipt will be the deterimining factor. Such as if the springs are setup at 6psi once the cold side(pressurize part of the intake) sees 6psi the line to the wastegates will see 6psi to allow the wastegates to start bleeding off the excess exhaust pressure. Considering the room in an xplorer compartment id go single but twins is do-able.

And the teskid 281ci block is just as strong as the iron block they can handle more than 1000hp from factory its the pistons and rods that cant take the abuse from factory(well the boosted 03-04 cobras are setup with strong internals)

And the teskid 281ci block is just as strong as the iron block they can handle more than 1000hp from factory its the pistons and rods that cant take the abuse from factory(well the boosted 03-04 cobras are setup with strong internals)

The Teksid's are very strong but they are not quite as strong as the iron blocks. That is probably why the Terminators came with cast iron blocks rather than the Teksid alum blocks. Extra durability.

the earlier teskid block 93-98 is said to be stronger than the latter 99+ alminum block. John M owner of accufab has pushed a factory teskid block to more than 1700+ hp with his TT cougar bodied car

Back