Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going twin turbo. 4.0 ohv

Yeah I know.... wtf!
But I'm doing it. I have lots of fabricating to do, since I can't find anything to just bolt on, because let's face it. That would be way to easy wouldn't it?
I have both turbos, two FMH blow-offs, and all the pipe I need. I have the plans pretty much drawn out.
I'm about to go fire up the torch now and get started, wish me luck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Note:
03-04 Cobras have forged bottom ends from the factory. So do the Shelby's. Unortunately a stock Mustang GT bottom end may make 800 to the wheels (stock) but only once for about 4 seconds then it will grenade. Gotta love hyper-u-cracktic pistons and powdered rods in the stock 4.6L bottom ends. BTW-Superchargers can make huge power but turbos will make huger power. LOL.!!!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mach 1 internal are not forged and still fall into the standard 4.6L issue. Interestingly they have strong blocks and incredible heads. If you forge the bottom end the sky is the limit.-j

the earlier teskid block 93-98 is said to be stronger than the latter 99+ alminum block. John M owner of accufab has pushed a factory teskid block to more than 1700+ hp with his TT cougar bodied car

You are correct in saying that the Teksid aluminum blocks are stronger than the newer WAP aluminum blocks. The Teksids came in allot of 99 Cobra's and even some 01's too, though not a common item on the 01's.

How does the 03-04 mach1 engine rate in here?

The weak link with the Mach's are the pistons and connecting rods. The Mach's that were auto's had a non-forged crank whereas the Mach's that came with the manual transmission have a forged steel crank. Consider the Mach 1 stock bottom end about as strong as the 01 Cobra bottom end.

BTW just for clarification there seems to be two conversations going on as once here. One talking about just the engine blocks themselves and now one talking about the stock shortblocks. What i was referring to before when talking to turbo cat was just the block construction itself.

so whatever happened to the guy who started this? I see a lot of talk/argue about everyhing else but a twin turbo explorer...

For 6psi i'd think a single turbo would be a better setup. half the exhaust leaks and other problem areas. for engine managment there has been a lot of talk on other forums about Megasquirt, its a DIY ecm but you need to know how to solder to put it together. supposed to be real easy to tune.

Have a look at the old turbotechnics conversions..... They are 2.9 12v cologne based, but they could be a good information source, they perform very well. They got an impressive torque curve....

And there is also ONE 2.9 24v version, 530bhp@ 1 bar.....

//Tobbe

my single kit is already underway for my 91. Im keeping the cost very low this week ill be going out to the yards to find a cheap turbo hopefully a 60 trim T3 or a holset. I have tons of pipes of sizes and lenghts and bends, oil hoses for the feed and return, fittings, thick blanks to cut a flange out of and so on. i already have the whole setup mapped out in my head and this is not the first turbo kit ive built. For the sport im going a cheap route.

Flipped driver side manifold, the p side maniolf will stay in the oem position routing a pipe under the trans bell housing back up to Y with the outlet of the driver side outlet where the flange will be located.
FORD40.jpg

Then temporarily i built a downpipe to still cruise around in the truck until i get into it ( i dont like having unworkable just veichles sitting around)

Ford402.jpg

ford403.jpg

In all the plan is a low no more than 5 psi with a small exhaust housing for a fast response draw thru setup with a recurculating bypass and a quiet exhaust as quiet as i can get it.

see if you can find a 87 300zx or luck out and find a turbo tbird lol. both have 60 trim compresors. the 300zx has the .63a/r exhaust housing tho. also the 300zx will allow you a 3 inch downpipe straight from the turbo with nothing more then a new flange

twin turbo 4.0

Hey guys decided to join to get some ideas and possibly give some.
I'm Posting this message to clarify some ideas for twin vs single turbo on a 4.0 or aqny other engine. The 4.0 im working on now is soon going to be twin turbo but here are some ideas to help if you choose this path. the best way to twin a ranger, explorer, mazda.. is remote installation due to under hood clearance im currently building a single turbo kit for wifes explorer, and it seems to be going well. here is a list of things i added to build hp and tq.
4.6 injectors
4.6 tb with spacer
2 new heads ported lightly and polished
cold air intake
on my setup the mass air system at first didnt really change (idle, accel) but driving it aprox 59 miles changed parameters cause it will fly now the ecm i drove to a guy i know who tuned the ecm to new parts and took 110 cap off away and enhanced air/fuel ratio and tuned the ignition with my new MSD ignition that made the system work better and it runs much better. the explorer on dyno b4 mods 219hp 239tq after est on flywheel 269hp and 277ft lbs with awd it is est cause i dont have anyway of testing 4wd dyno so had to remove front driveshaft i layed out 218hp and 231ft lbs after mods i expecting single turbo added with 7lbs of boost with a good tune should put it 270ish on hp and over 300ft lbs adding an intercooler and new fuel pump should make my explorer run extremely differant. i have a video camera waiting on del of a new charger and i will post on youtube my mods and turbo installation..

Back