Post pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights

Please post some pictures of your truck with auxiliary lights installed.

Thanks ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...HTJunkie, is that an ORR member???

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have these lights?

They are cool fyi..

Dont mind at all, Im an employee of the United States Department of Justice

05-19-08_2226.jpg

Just 2 extra lights on the bumper. Helps a lot, though.

...Maniak, I am curious what size belt you ran with that smaller pulley...I have a 160 amp I just got with the smaller pulley and I was told i needed about 2 sizes down in belt..:scratch:

...And just some info, the higher amp alt's need the smaller pulley so when you are at idle, it will keep up your charging...The bad is as you stated, they wear quicker...I found a place that will completely rebuild the 160 amps for $120...Considering a 95 amp voltage regulator is $60 bucks by itself, I am going to do this a couple times, just as long as I can afford it...:dunno:

I used the standard belt size... but the tensioner barely kept it tight..

When I rebuilt the motor I had the choice of two different size belts for a '91.. one was definatly shorter.

I was thinking about what year I had the smaller pulley and I had the 32" tires at the time and was cruising at 2700 rpms for about 1 hour every day for work.. I think having the rebuild alternator and smaller pully on just the alternator is what did it in (rebuilt was problably the primary reason).. Also, They were lasting about 40k miles (one year) which I guess would be a few years for most people...

~Mark

...Thanks for the info, I'll look into it...:thumbsup:

first had driving lights which were ridiculously bright for constant use..
IMG_1604.jpg

then i decided to install hid fog lights (cause i'm still not done with my hid headlight retro and i wanted to see at night now!) that has no glare and wouldn't blind any oncoming traffic or the car in front of me.. i didnt want to just stick it in there and be done with it so i made a cover..

imo its a clean and decent look plus it doesnt stick out looking like an add on item plus it kinda matches the mesh i have behind my grill.. unfortunately i didnt have the right amount of time since the apartment management wouldnt let me work on my car anymore so this is what i came up with..

no lights yet from yesterday (lights go in the holes) but i'll repost installed and lighted pics as soon as i get them properly aligned..
IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

some for actual use...

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have these lights?

They are cool fyi..

They just look good, even when they are off... :D:thumbsup:

IMG_5622.jpg

Since I guide many hunters throughout the Fall and Spring. My auxiliary lights are used more then not. I depend on all the extra lighting I can get when driving these logging and fire trails during pre dawn and late evening rides. Here are my 1000 Hellas mounted on my roof cage.

IMG_5631.jpg

But the ones I depend on the most are the Hella work lights. Again mounted on the roof cage. So nice when getting all your gear ready. Or field dressing a buck during the late hours. Check out how they really light up the ground. They are wired independently of the back-lights. But I do use them for that same purpose in the field.

Well, here they are for now. I'm going to be installing blue LEDs in the footwells soon and I'll likely install a couple rack lights when I do the first step of my radio project and I only want to drop the headliner once.

Driving lights w/ 100W bulbs. Here's some more details on the install... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125829
Aux Lights 004.jpg

Auxiliary Back-up lights -- I love these things. I was backing up in the turn lane because I wasn't able to make the turn and some idiot kept driving up on me when I was trying to back up. I flipped on these babies and her front bumper almost hit the ground she stopped so hard.
Aux Lights 001.jpg

My bike rack lights. My bikes are my babies and I'm paranoid about them. The last thing I want is some tailgater to run into me and destroy a few grand in bikes. I built it out of PVC and used LED trailer lights.
Aux Lights 005.jpg

Attachments

• Aux Lights 003.jpg
    Aux Lights 003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4,979

Hey GatorJeff i like your backup lights :thumbsup:, i want to steal the idea, how did you do it? Are they on a switch? How did you run the hot from the battery back the the lights?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the 06's, but in my Gen 2, I accessed the rear wiring harness through the jack compartment.

I tapped into the wire powering my stock back-up lights and ran that all the way to the front dash where I have a switch installed. I used that wire to power the switch which I have on my dash.

From the switch, I ran the power wire back to a relay (pin 85).

From the battery, I ran a hot wire back to the relay as well (pin 30).

I put those three wires into a long length of split loom that I ran all the way from the back of my tail lamp housing, under the trim work, under my door sill, and up into my dash to protect the wires.

From the relay, I ran two hot wires from one connector that I had attached to the 87 pin. I then used more split loom to run the wires down to each of the aux back up lights.

I ran the ground wires back up the split loom into my jack compartment. I drilled a small hole into a part of the body behind the trim and used a sheet metal screw to attach those ground wires and the ground from the relay's 86 pin directly to the body. I sanded away the paint for a good connection, but touched up everything after I had the grounds attached.

The ground for the switch was run back under the hood where I have my other ground wires installed.

I of course installed an in-line fuse between the hot wire and the relay.

As for the lights themselves, on the gen 2 steel bumpers, there are nice holes that I bolted the lights into and they've held snuggly for almost a year now.

Here are a couple before and after pics to show the difference in light given off.

BU3.JPG

BU4.JPG

Thanks!
I put those three wires into a long length of split loom that I ran all the way from the back of my tail lamp housing, under the trim work, under my door sill, and up into my dash to protect the wires.

Hey familiar or not with my 06 you have answered my question. I wanted to know if you ran the wires down the frame or in the trim. I am going to run the hot inside the trim past the B pillar and under the dash through the firewall and to the battery.

I haven't decided weather or not to use a manual switch or run a relay off the stock backup circuit, that will happen later.
THANK YOU:D:thumbsup:

Hey familiar or not with my 06 you have answered my question. I wanted to know if you ran the wires down the frame or in the trim. I am going to run the hot inside the trim past the B pillar and under the dash through the firewall and to the battery.

I haven't decided weather or not to use a manual switch or run a relay off the stock backup circuit, that will happen later.
THANK YOU:D:thumbsup:

I'm glad that helped. Hopefully, you'll have as easy a time with your 06 as I did with mine.

I decided on the switch because sometimes (well lit areas and daylight, of course) you don't need the extra light and whenever you shift between drive and park, you blink your back-up lights. That's a lot of unnecessary abuse to your bulbs. If you don't get a kit with a switch already, they're less than $10 and a set of replacement bulbs will likely run you $15 or so.

Definitely get the split loom though. My favorite electronics shop sells it for about $0.30/ft and I think I used about 20 ft. The spot under the door jamb was especially tight and it definitely helps keep your wires from getting scraped or pinched.

Definitely get the split loom though. My favorite electronics shop sells it for about $0.30/ft and I think I used about 20 ft. The spot under the door jamb was especially tight and it definitely helps keep your wires from getting scraped or pinched.
Um, how did you get the split loom in there? I pulled my trim apart today to check out how to run the wires and it is so tight i had trouble running a fish tape through let alone a 1/4 inch split loom for a couple wires?

Um, how did you get the split loom in there? I pulled my trim apart today to check out how to run the wires and it is so tight i had trouble running a fish tape through let alone a 1/4 inch split loom for a couple wires?

There's pretty much nothing but air between the trim and the body on a Gen 2 Sport from the door back. It took a little work to get loom under the door-sills, but I managed. This is fortunate for me, because soon I'll be bringing down 3 antenna cables and power for rack mounted Aux lights down from the roof.

It looks like you'll have to consult a Gen 4 expert for that one. Wish I could help more.

Back