Cheap/free mods for offroading? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Klutch

Reaction score
City, State
Shohola Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Im just wondering if there are any cheap or free mods that I can do to my X so that its better when offroading. Im just bored and have nothing to do. Thanks for your suggestions:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect your sway bars when offroading for more wheel travel. That one helps a lot...

...Air down your tires to about 15#'s for offroading only...Fill them back up as you leave the trails..;)

Weld up the the front and/or rear spider gears, the single best performing off-road mod.

Weld up the the front and/or rear spider gears, the single best performing off-road mod.

Well im still going to use this as a daily driver for now so would that affect anything on the highway or anything?

Welding the front wouldn't affect anything with the hubs unlocked. That reminds me, even though they aren't free, a good set of manual hubs are much stronger and more reliable than the autos, assuming your rig has auto hubs.

Hmm,
Free (or close to it)
remove rear sway bar (you don't need it on the road
make quick disconnect pins for front swaybar

pretty cheap (craigslist or junkyard)
31x10.50 tires
manual hubs if you can find them at a junkyard
towpoints
CB
coil spacer for front
shackle for rear
sawzall fenders (then look for 32" tires instead of 31s)

require some fab and knowledge-
weld front diff (I suggest not doing this)

cheap mods that will save you a ton of money in the future-
remote transmission cooler
transmission temp gauge

I would really like to have a stock 91-94 to essentially "start over" and do some minor offroading/ tough truck type stuff with. I've earned a lot of respect for our stock trucks over the years.

where can I get a remote transmission cooler and a temp gauge

any auto parts place, or order online. Just be sure to get a stacked plate style cooler. The temp gauge comes from any parts place. I used a standard mechanical water temp gauge which was cheap ( less than $30). Autozone sells everything, but I think I ordered mine online when I ordered the transgo shift kit. Summit Racing is a great supplier for that stuff online..

ok thanks

google trans cooler and trans temp gage
I like B&M oil coolers and autometer gages myself.

free cheap mods:
get tow points front and rear
get recovery gear
get recovery tools
get maps
get vehicle prepared with spare part/ fluids/food/blanket/water/fire/light/communications, emergency items

go with a group and learn the ropes (no matter how good you get there is always stuff to learn......lots and lots) best way to learn is wheel time

everything else about 4x4ing is expensive :) LOL

Back