Bellflower, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport
IMAGE_080.jpg

IMAGE_081.jpg

IMAGE_082.jpg

IMAGE_083.jpg

It can be done!

Nevermind the bump-stop, thats just temporary till i can think of something better. Yes, i know the bottom bolts are way to long but they only had 4 inch bolts at the time. I'll change that later :)

P.S : sorry bout the crappy pic quality, its from my phone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks sweet:D:chug:

Rides VERY nice too

These are the pics of just after the test drive. I noticed the split bushing on the top mount and just changed it. The washer i used was too small and i tightened it to much causing the bushing to split under load, the other side was just fine. I changed the bushing and washers to larger ones and after a half hour test drive everything is great.

looks good so far

Nice- this is becoming a common thing, I hope to do it someday.

A few questions-

2wd I'm guessing?

Coilover specs/brand etc?

Coil rate?

Yes, 2wd with spindle lift. There seems to be enough room left for 4wd CV shafts (without the really long bolt in the way of course)

QA1 Ultra ride 5855 - 11 1/2-ish closed 17 open.

700 pound coils but I think they are too weak. I have them cranked almost all the way up and I still need a little more to return to my previous torsion bar height. What do you guys think? 750/800 pound springs? Its a stock front end (no winch,bumper) so I thought 700 would be enough.

WhiteLimited - I used the bottom mounts and gussets from the RCD kit . Welded them myself. Since the QA1 shocks have options for 1/2inch or 5/8 inch bolt I just drilled out the holes to 5/8 and got some grade 8 bolts. The bump stop did have to be trimmed ALOT and I welded some extra steel (Thick washer) to the top of the shock mount to help strengthen it since I was using the Stud mound instead. I only trimmed the bumpstop enough to clear the coil-over and I still need to somehow reinforce it.

looks nice man 700's are kinda soft but i have a 4wd with a winch on the front with the same spring rate and mine work fine the only thing that i see that diffrent which it might not matter with your brand coilover but i have fox and they said you have to run them shaft down if they are not remote resvoir but that might just be fox's deal i dunno and so that said if you flip yours around you'll have to hack out the rest of that bump stop.

looks nice man 700's are kinda soft but i have a 4wd with a winch on the front with the same spring rate and mine work fine the only thing that i see that diffrent which it might not matter with your brand coilover but i have fox and they said you have to run them shaft down if they are not remote resvoir but that might just be fox's deal i dunno and so that said if you flip yours around you'll have to hack out the rest of that bump stop.

The QA1's are supposed to be mounted shaft up, according to the instructions. Im going to look for some 750/800 pound springs soon, since these are gonna eventually sag once they get settled in.

Looks sweet:thumbsup:

Looks good. I'm also currently doing this on my Explorer but I used an 800 lb coil. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217561

I went ahead and installed my QA1 shock with the shaft down, but I don't think it matters with the QA1 which way it goes.... you've got me wondering now so I'll have to call them and make sure.

I haven't gotten it moving yet but should within another couple of weeks.

I really wonder if the half shafts will fit :scratch:

Excellent work

Here's a couple of pics to show the space available.

IMAGE_084.jpg

IMAGE_085.jpg

Keep in mind that this is a spindle lifted truck. Stock spindle results may differ.

Man I wish people still made kits like these. I’d gladly pay for them.

Pretty sure there is a Ranger dude on one of the forums still making the lower coilover to control arm bracket and the braces for the upper shock tower..

I will be making a "kit" pretty soon also, but with a few twists to this old design

Pretty sure there is a Ranger dude on one of the forums still making the lower coilover to control arm bracket and the braces for the upper shock tower..

I will be making a "kit" pretty soon also, but with a few twists to this old design
Cool. Will you be selling the kits? I assume it bolts to the lower arm and is welded to the shock tower?

The stock shock tower with gussets is not my favorite idea of a top coilover support....the entire stock shock tower is going away.
There are SEVERAL aftermarket coilover mounts that can be welded to the frame rail, ditch the stock shock tower, no need to use stud to bolt adapter at the top, just replace the whole stock "tower"

I will be making a nice connection to the lower control arm, I will have to fabricate that piece(s).

The stock shock tower with gussets is not my favorite idea of a top coilover support....the entire stock shock tower is going away.
There are SEVERAL aftermarket coilover mounts that can be welded to the frame rail, ditch the stock shock tower, no need to use stud to bolt adapter at the top, just replace the whole stock "tower"

I will be making a nice connection to the lower control arm, I will have to fabricate that piece(s).
Sounds good. I’m a fan of the stuff that bolts on first so you know it’s in the right spot before you weld it on. But with the right measurements either way should work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to do this for a better ride and to lose them bar things hanging down low.. good job!

I'm in for a set. I got to get a bunch of other stuff done first.

Back