• Register Today It's free!

No Power to Power Windows

Rkownurko

Reaction score
City, State
North Wales, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 97 Eddie Bauer
I have a 2001 ford Explorer and all the power windows will not work. I have checked all fuses and relays. I will give a brief summary of what I have done todate.

I have checked the delay relay under the dash and if I am in the correct location, this is good. "This is the panel under the dash on the drivers side near the center console, it has a black cover that you need take off to access the relays" There are five common relays and then the delay relay. I have ohmed out all the relays and they all appear good. I even jumbered from 87terminal to 30 terminal on the delay relay plug to assure that I had power. I checked for power at terminal 87 and I had power and then I added the jumper and I had power on both terminals.

I have used an volt/ohm meter to check for power at the door. I don't have power at the door control Blue/Black wire. With the jumber in and the relay in. The Ground is good at the door control panel. I also checked the Blue/black at the connector to the door and I also don't have power.

If I am in the correct relay panel then I have some kind of a break from the relay panel to the plug going to the door. I also looke at the wiring under the dash and followed the wires and don't see any apparent breaks.

Does anyone have an Idea what I am missing or give recomendation of where to look for the wiring problem.

Newbee to ford explorers.

Thanks RFK

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well you have done an "admirable job" checking things so far..... and you are almost there. The good thing that you did was "jumper" the 87 to the 30.... great. Did you get power at your window / door. Nope? Then don't go much further that trace the LB/BK that is the carrier of your power. Make sure it has power out from the relay module... should since you are jumpering there but check to make sure (ie. front might not connect to the back)... you can check if power gets to the "one touch" relay which is also in the relay module. The trace the power to a splice that basically delivers the power "everywhere" from there. The splice is close to the relay module... again trace the LB/BK wire. I am thinking that the splice is bad.

There is a large bundle of wires that enters the drivers door from the frame of the car. Check inside of this bundle to see if the blue/black wire is broken. If it is broken, none of the windows will work. Mine broke from "wire fatigue". A wire that is bent back and forth hundreds of times when you open the door can break over time. Also had this happen to me on an old Fiat, broken wire entering door.

Yes, When I had the jumper in I did check for power at the door and I had nothing.

Also does anyone know of a diagram of the relay box under the console that shows what each relay is for? One of my problems is lack of information on what relay is for what! Ford in their great wisdom decide not to label the relays in the vehicle and no where I look can I find this information.

It looks like more time one my back squeezed into the area under the dash with my faithful ohm meter.

Exactly where did you check for "power at the door"?

I checked for power at the door with a ground to the battery and then on the underside of the window controller at the blue/black wire. When I apply power to this terminal direct from the battery the windows work. This was one of my first checks. I also checked for power when I installed the jumber.

Thanks RFK

Ditto, trace the main blue/black wire back from the door jamb connector. If it isn't right at the door jamb connector, hope that it is at the relay module in the dash. None of the rest of that BL/BK wire is reachable. Good luck,

If my print reading skills are up to snuff..this is how it works. Understand though, I am reading the prints for a 98. Are they the same?
Power for the windows is supplied by the "power distribution box" which would be under the hood. Not under the dash. The power travels on a Red/Light blue wire to the Accy Delay Relay. In order for power to pass through this relay, the Battery saver relay must be pulled in.
Once power leaves the Accy Delay Relay, the wire is Light blue/Black. This wire goes to a major splice(S259-6 wires). This splice is located somewhere near the relay module(sorry...that's the description the prints give) From experience it should be located within a foot or two at best of the module.
From that splice the same color wire goes through a connector(C212). This connector is located at the lower left corner of the Instrument panel(near cowel panel grommet)
From here it goes to splice point S260(4 wires)-near parking brake switch.
from here it goes to left front power switch.
Hope this helps.

Well, I finally got the time to finish the job!

First I would like to thank everyone for their time and insite.

The problem was in the wire bundle in the door connector. I had to splice the wire and that fixed the problem.

Below is information that I have learned from this experience and I would like to give back to this forum that has helped me get to the fix.

For future reference of other people with the same or similar problem and some of the information if figured out with a volt/ohm meter. All the following information is for a 2001 Ford Explorer information may vary for your model year.

1. The main power source for the power windows comes from a 30 amp maxi fuse #4 in the battery fuse box under the hood on the driver side by the fire wall.

2. The power that switches the accessory delay relay is supplied from a 10 amp fuse in the central junction box on the driver side door this power goes to the battery saver relay that controls the inside lights, this same circuit supplies the power to the coil of the accessory delay relay. The accessory delay relay allows power to remain on after the car is shut down so the windows can be closed or opened for a few minutes.

3. The accessory delay relay is located under the dash on the driver side near the center console. "Lay on your back and put your head next to the gas petal and look up there is a rectangular black box with a cover on it. Pull this cover off and it will have up-to 7 relays. {My explorer had 5}, 6 of them the same size and rectangular and one more square is the accessory delay relay" This is also the first relay you can touch. If you want to check to see if the accessory delay relay is bad just create a jumper with spaded connections on both ends and jumper from terminals 87 to 30. You need to read this information from the back of the relay and transpose it to the terminals.

4. The one touch down relay is the relay that is first relay above the accessory delay relay on the left hand side. "if you are facing the panel right-side up." The importance of this relay is that you can check to bake sure the main junction point S259 is good at terminals 5 or 2, For me I used
terminal 5 and stuck a spaded connector in and used the volt meter to check for voltage.

5. Then you can go to the door and check for power at the connector. disconnect the main connector and pull down the rubber cover find the Blue/Black 12 gauge wire and check for voltage at the connector. If you don't have voltage trace the wire back from both end's this is were I found the wire completely broken.

Thanks again and I hope this information helps some one in the future.

RFK

My God. Well done! I think this should be cleaned up and stickied as a good diagnostic thread for windows.

I have a 2001 ford Explorer and all the power windows will not work. I have checked all fuses and relays. I will give a brief summary of what I have done todate.

I have checked the delay relay under the dash and if I am in the correct location, this is good. "This is the panel under the dash on the drivers side near the center console, it has a black cover that you need take off to access the relays" There are five common relays and then the delay relay. I have ohmed out all the relays and they all appear good. I even jumbered from 87terminal to 30 terminal on the delay relay plug to assure that I had power. I checked for power at terminal 87 and I had power and then I added the jumper and I had power on both terminals.

I have used an volt/ohm meter to check for power at the door. I don't have power at the door control Blue/Black wire. With the jumber in and the relay in. The Ground is good at the door control panel. I also checked the Blue/black at the connector to the door and I also don't have power.

If I am in the correct relay panel then I have some kind of a break from the relay panel to the plug going to the door. I also looke at the wiring under the dash and followed the wires and don't see any apparent breaks.

Does anyone have an Idea what I am missing or give recomendation of where to look for the wiring problem.

Thanks RFK
1995 ranger fuse box drivers side fuse #12 10amp ... Turn key on , one hand push/pull on fuse still in place ,other hand hold power window button down/up ! My fuse was good But the contacts ends of fuse to wires of fuse box were not clean nor good tight fit!! Randallalt@aol.com

almost always right there at the door somehow someone catches it with boot or slamming doors, something stupid always puts a break in the line between body and door like you said.

power windows NO power

Newbee to ford explorers. FORD turn key to run position, push/pull on proper fuse, U may hear clicking noise in dash as mine does !! @ same time push power window button(s) , if does allow window(s) to work , Remove fuse, bend metal tips of fuse slightly ,1 up 1 down, away from each other, push fuse firmly back in fuse box.. this is ALL that was wrong with our vehicle dealer wanted $$$$$ to look @.. randallalt@aol.com

Thanks RFK

hmmm i have a similar problem in that my power windows, radio, moon roof controls all quit when i removed a mechanically failed drivers side lighted
sun- visor. I probably shorted out the wiring to the lighted mirror, as i demo'd the sun-visor.....so i assume there is are fuses and/or relays that operate these things..... i read about the fusees from the owners manual, but so far no joy....

additionally someone told me there is a connector inside the headliner for the lighted mirror? if so where ?? thanks in advance folks....

Jim

Thanks RFK
Hey all.
In my troubleshooting, I was able to locate the relay location in my 02 EB. On the top side of the fuse panel above the parking brake, you will find a relay block. This relay is located in this block. The easiest way to find it is: Key off, emergency flashers on, listen and feel for the clicking sound coming from the relay. The Delay relay is located there as well.

Happy motoring!

Back