ReDLiNeZL's S.A.S. 96 Ranger 4 Banger Mud Bog Truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ReDLiNeZL's S.A.S. 96 Ranger 4 Banger Mud Bog Truck

*** STARTED OFF BONE STOCK 1996 Ranger, 2.3L 4 Banger with 5spd for $600 with clean title...
The plans were to build a cheap mud bog truck to compete in 4 and 6 cylinder classes.

0818071436.jpg

*** So we added a 3" body lift and 4" Superlift Kit, no cats, 40 series flowmaster, air intake and 33x10.50x15 Boggers on 15x8 steels

CIMG0187.jpg

CIMG0182.jpg

CIMG0190.jpg

*** So we ran last 2 mud bogs of season and at last one I destroyed both front axles in the dana 28, and we relized for the next season we needed a dana 35, gears and bigger tires and for some reason a roll cage.

101_3702.jpg

101_3703.jpg

101_3704.jpg

CIMG0236.jpg

rollcageinstall001.jpg

rollcageinstall006.jpg

rollcageinstall007.jpg

rollcageinstall010.jpg

rollcageinstall005.jpg

rollcageinstall011.jpg

rollcageinstall019.jpg

rollcageinstall020.jpg

*** Then for this season we added the Dana 35 with locker in front and 513's and a 8.8 welded rear with 513's on 36" tsls

P9200010.jpg

P9200011.jpg

P9200012.jpg

*** Now currently we added a dana 44 from an early dronco, converted to disc brakes, installed spool and 513 gears. used stock coil buckets, 5.5" early bronco lift coils, 79 bronco radius arms brackets using stock radius arms, and jerry rigged the steering for now. waiting to do it out of dom tubing and heim joints.

DSCF1124.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

DSCF1129.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1133.jpg

DSCF1134.jpg

DSCF1137.jpg

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1155.jpg

DSCF1156.jpg

DSCF1157.jpg

DSCF1158.jpg

DSCF1161.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

** Just needs to get a 4.0 v6 put in it this winter, steering built, and we'll be ready for 09 season of mud bogging

10 point cage
front- dana 44 from early bronco converted to disk brakes, spooled with 5.13's
rear- 8.8 welded with 5.13's
currently running 36x12.50x15 Super Swamper TSL's on 15x8 Steels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet truck, I dig the graphics. Share some action shots with us!!!

Did you run into any issues with the EB coils and stock shock location? I just set up a truck that we realize the stock buckets limit about 4" of uptravel so we put early bronco shock towers on it.

sweet truck, I dig the graphics. Share some action shots with us!!!

Did you run into any issues with the EB coils and stock shock location? I just set up a truck that we realize the stock buckets limit about 4" of uptravel so we put early bronco shock towers on it.

no, but havent flexxed it up at all to notice. but yes with stock shock location they are a little crooked, but for goin in a straight line mudbogging everything is fine for now.

**** here is a video of my mud bog 2 weeks ago.
1st gear, low range, taggin limiter
class A, 4 and 6cyl, 36" tires and bigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CCMk2imFJ0

Thats awesome man. I used to run the bog with my explorer. I have since turned to focus on the trails.

I noticed you ran 1st gear. Have you tried 2nd gear yet?

Im running 488 and the same 36 and use third reved out. However i do run the 6cyl

in that class ive ran 2nd and it bogs down and bogs out. 1st is the only thing in that class that works being its thick clay mud. but in the AA class mud is alot less and i run 2nd gear low

Ok well I am used to a deep mud and high water content so spinning is easier.

i plan to do a 4.0 swap, never did one and not sure where to start

If I had to swap from a 4 cyl to a 6 I'd rather move my suspension over to a different truck LOL. I'm sure it's not that bad though, you guys made this build look easy.

i agree, but the body is cherry, its set up, caged, lot of work in it.

I hear ya on that. Look into the SOHC instead of the OHV at that point then, and once you figure it out I can follow you. I know that's the V6 of choice for the McNeil racing trucks.

thats a cool ranger.. good work

I hear ya on that. Look into the SOHC instead of the OHV at that point then, and once you figure it out I can follow you. I know that's the V6 of choice for the McNeil racing trucks.

no idea where to even start on the swap, and how hard it is... do i use explorer and harness, or ranger... no idea

You can use a ranger or explorer harness. It shouldn't matter. Just match the years up.

If i was you i would looked for a ranger that has been flipped or totaled that there not going to salvage and buy it. I got a whole ranger which was salvageable and swapped the engine and 5speed into my explorer.

Looks good, but I'd take out the body lift now that you've done the SAS since it looks like you now have plenty enough lift for the 36's.

Looks good, but I'd take out the body lift now that you've done the SAS since it looks like you now have plenty enough lift for the 36's.

like i said, its "caged".... to the frame like it should be.
also this winter 38x12.50 boggers will be on order for next years mud bog

Back