Inspection - "recommended" services | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inspection - "recommended" services

JimM_PA

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 4x4
I just had my 2001 Explorer Sport inspected. The vehicle passed inspection, but I was given a list of recommended services, including replacement of lower front left balljoints, left inner tie rod ends, and both front bearing & seals. I was considering a set of shocks before the inspection.

If I tackle one issue at a time over the next few months, what sequence of repairs would be most cost effective? Ball joints before front wheel hubs or vice versa? Replace shocks and tie rods? Replace both right and left lower balljoints while the vehicle is in the shop?

I will get some estimates for the work before doing anything. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it passed inspection, you don't need to do those things they "recommended". A PA safety inspection tests all those components, and the vehicle won't pass unless they are good. They're just trying to get more money out of you. Don't fall for it.

If it passed inspection, you don't need to do those things they "recommended". A PA safety inspection tests all those components, and the vehicle won't pass unless they are good. They're just trying to get more money out of you. Don't fall for it.

Yup!

I didn't, and it's why I posted the question here. Given the threads on this forum describing issues with ball joints in particular, I wasn't surprised by the recommendation. This wasn't the first mechanic who told me to keep an eye on them.

do the ball joints and the tie-rod ends at the same time or you'll have to pay for two alignments

find a good shop to do the work... I do alot of my own work on my trucks and after doing my first set of balljoints I said never agian... I have a good shop with good labor rates and a great front end alignment just got both side done one upper balljoint(moog) a 2 new rotors new caliper and front end algment cost was under 600 but was cheeper cuase it was warrenty work.... one side note get MOOG parts this truck has ate 3 sets of autozone lifetime warrnety parts...

Back