Automatic FWD knocks and thumps ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic FWD knocks and thumps ???

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, VIC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' eXplorer XLT
G'day,
I can't seem to find any threads on the Automatic FWD ???
Mine is a 98 XLT 4.0 SOHV with sensortrak AFWD.
When driving in any condition, h'way or gravel road if I switch to FWD High it will murmor and hum on a good day, or starts lurching and thumping till I freak out and switch it off... It takes a while to get the courage to try again and see what noises it makes next time...
If anyone has any ideas or can point me towards a technical thread with some info I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks and gratefully in your debt... what a fantastic forum !!!
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might want to checkout your front drive shaft.

Might want to checkout your front drive shaft.

Thanks, I had considered that but I'm not sleeping with any mechanics LOL (just don't trust them with my baby) they charge like a wounded bull with these cars over here !!!

I really wouldn't know where to start my self so I'm hoping there might be someone in the forum that has tackled this kind of problem themselves and share some advice ???

As I couldn't find a thread relating to this topic, perhaps this could be the one ???
:confused:

4x4 High and Low shouldn't be used on dry, hard surfaces such as tarmac. You're doing damage to the transfercase by using it on the highway.

4x4 High and Low shouldn't be used on dry, hard surfaces such as tarmac. You're doing damage to the transfercase by using it on the highway.

Cheers, I am aware of that.
The only time I've done it was when I first test drove it and a couple of times since to show people how it works. The only time I have used is any time I'm on a rutty dirt road or up the beach.

Since first feeling the problem I have tried it out on different surfaces to see if it makes different sounds and different temps ??? Most often it hums along on the h'way, occassionly thumps, but under pressure up a hill on a dirt road it really freaks me out so I haven't touched it now for about 6 months...
;)

I've run across the front drive shaft issue, how good are you at identifying parts? Check the cv joint in the front drive shaft.. Also, check for any play at the transfer case.

I've run across the front drive shaft issue, how good are you at identifying parts? Check the cv joint in the front drive shaft.. Also, check for any play at the transfer case.

Cheers, the cv joints are also on the to do list, they creak when I just ride gutters...

I'm now finding a bit of info on transfer cases ???
I've been searching for AFWD threads...
We'll come with something soon.

Tomorrow I'll jack her up and start checking afew things out...
:thumbsup:

It sounds like the front driveshaft as stated before. The front driveshaft just went out on mine (1997 5.0L AWD) and i'm still working on getting a new one. It started out as just a couple thumps under pressure and it got worse pretty fast. In a matter of a week it got so bad that i would hardly accelerate and it would clunk horribly until i let off the gas.

Cheers, the cv joints are also on the to do list, they creak when I just ride gutters...

I believe you mean the CV halfshafts. They will not creak. Its likely BJ's if you're getting a creaking. Storlied was talking about the CV joint in the front driveshaft. Its at the transfer case. Apparently its a common problem.

I'm now finding a bit of info on transfer cases ???I've been searching for AFWD threads...
We'll come with something soon.

FWD is front wheel drive. You have 4WD. You have a Borg Warner (BW) 4405 transfer case. That may help you in searches.

Honestly, I think it's either that cv joint in the front ds, or the bearings are going out in the front output of the tc.

If it's not that... then maybe we could get a few more details about the feel and sound of this problem? But I'd check into those two things first.

I'm still not quite clear on what it's doing or when it's doing it... Can you please describe the problem in a little more detail? The more details you can give about exactly when/how/what it's doing, the less guessing we need to do to help out.

Thanks!

-Joe

Back