LOUD clunk from transmission at high speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LOUD clunk from transmission at high speed

Reaction score
City, State
Aston, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Well, I was coming home from school and I was pulling my 4.0 SOHC explorer and when I got to about 108mph, I heard/felt a loud clunk from the transmission area. I dont know if thats where it was coming from but the truck jolted real quick when it made it. Also I was going down hill with o/d off on a flat road with no potholes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you notice any gear change at all when it happened?

Were you in 2wd or what?

Keep in mind, your parts weren't designed for this kind of speed without modification.

Check your drive shafts, check for any play at all at the tc.

Also, give the transmission mount a look.....

i just checked everything and it looks fine. it stayed in the same gear but i did feel alot of shacking when i got up to that speed and then when the shaking was semi-extreme i let off. yes i am stupid. lol but in a non laughing matter, do you think I broke anything or damaged anything? and i was in the usual 4wd auto and there is no way to change that unless i did the bw mod?

Uh oh, isn't there like a speed limit for 4wd (4x4 tc's) ?? Like 70-80mph??

Does it drive fine in normal driving situations after this? 60+ mph? Any vibrations?

It MIGHT have been your speed limiter.. (fuel cutoff) ? I don't know when they revised that system, but on early models.. it would give a nice Jolt when it would cut the fuel, and then give it back at a slower speed.

i think it may have been the speed limiter because it did bring the speed down and thats when i let off. it almost felt like a hard bog like when you suck at gettting into first gear of a manual transmission aka me. lol :confused the more i think about it i think it was the fuel cut because thats the first time i had the ex going that fast. thank you for your replys on this.

Sound like the speed limiter to me. I know these trucks are supposed to top out right around 110 and you said it did it at 108 right?

by the way...Not a good idea to go that fast in these trucks... let alone any car on public roads.

110mph was my stock limiter, but I didn't have the jolt problem.. it would just seem like that was just the max.. and even with my limiter removed, I can hit 120+ (no more than 130 I'm guessing..) and it'll feel the same, but that's just probably the limits of my current setup.

it was somewhere around 108-110. to tell you the truth i was so pumped up goin that fast passin everyone in the left lane i really cant tell you the exact speed!!!:p:

I agree, it's not a good idea. But lets be honest here, we've all done it one time or another.

Well, I was coming home from school and I was pulling my 4.0 SOHC explorer and when I got to about 108mph, I heard/felt a loud clunk from the transmission area. I dont know if thats where it was coming from but the truck jolted real quick when it made it. Also I was going down hill with o/d off on a flat road with no potholes.

uhm actually i think the exact fuel cut for that year was either 108 or 110 so most likely it was that
be safe- it was on a closed road from school i assume ;) :rolleyes:

yeaaaa.....closed road.......anyway you never heard anyone say "pull" as in "full throttle acceleration" before?

yeaaaa.....closed road.......anyway you never heard anyone say "pull" as in "full throttle acceleration" before?

Oh I know, it was a joke... sorta... I mean.... some people... I wouldnt be surprised...

lol. anyway. my truck is 4x4 auto. i really hate it cuz i cant spin the tires or do stupid stuff. and i researched the bw mod and they said its bad for the tcase. thanks again to everyone that helped me out on this one. and i think they put fuel cuts in cars to scare people like me into thinking i broke something because of the extreme jolt the truck gives ya. haha

The limiter is for your safety and the safety of others.

But yeah.. I guess the problem was your tcase not liking the speed....

Keep monitoring everything to make sure it's in good working order.

thanks everyone for your imput!!! im probably going to pay my 20 bucks now and become a whatever its called on here. lol just because ive had nothing but positive stuff coming from it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, become an EliteExplorer!!

This site will serve you very well.

Back