• Register Today It's free!

Blocked Cat temp fix

artgod33

Reaction score
City, State
Patriot Nation
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
I have a blocked cat and no money for a few weeks (gotta love when things break this time of year)

If I drill a few holes in the pipe just before the blocked Cat will that help the backpressure enough to buy me a few weeks before I can get my exhaust fixded correctly?

I would like to not have to remove the front cats completely so when i take it to the exhaust shop they know how the set up is supposed to be set up so they can customize/update it accordingly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what makes you think your cat conveter is blocked?
on a 5.0L there are 4 total cat converters

drilling holes is not going to help with anything, it would just make things worse, leaks in the system upstream of the 02 sensors = problems

if you know for sure your cats are bad, take them off, beat out the inside material with a rod or pipe then put them back on. then unscrew the o2 sensors behind the cats and put some spark plug foulers in ther place and then screw the 02 sensors into the spark plug foulers.

what makes you think your cat conveter is blocked?
on a 5.0L there are 4 total cat converters

drilling holes is not going to help with anything, it would just make things worse, leaks in the system upstream of the 02 sensors = problems

Got a code for a blocked cat. The truck has 145k on it and the entire exhaust is rusted out from dropping a boat in the drink for 5 years.

I think you should do it the right way and buy my cats!:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230216

I got a quote from a great indy shop around here (Lou's Custom) for $500 for an entire exhaust with aftermarket cats.

I know the Magna's are much nicer but my wallet is hurting!

I am just tryign to find a temporary fix until I can get the $500 up

I got my exhaust done at the Plymouth Lou's. They do a great job but my catback was $450 for dual in-out Flowmaster with stainless tips.

Dont bother with chrome tips they will rot out way too quickly.

if you know for sure your cats are bad, take them off, beat out the inside material with a rod or pipe then put them back on. then unscrew the o2 sensors behind the cats and put some spark plug foulers in ther place and then screw the 02 sensors into the spark plug foulers.

Oh I like this... http://www.k-series.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8833

Do you know what size non-foulers would I need?

I got my exhaust done at the Plymouth Lou's. They do a great job but my catback was $450 for dual in-out Flowmaster with stainless tips.

Dont bother with chrome tips they will rot out way too quickly.

I just caleld the Peabody store and got a qwuote over hte phone they never looked at it and gave me a rough estimate.

I also just assumed at that price that I was getting generic parts.

they did the exhaust on my old CJ7 $350 from the headers back. Outstanding work. i Hind sight on that tuck I wish I opted for a louder/ tougher sounding muffler though. But thats my fault not theirs!

Did you ask for dual exhaust or single?

So I went to Lou's for an esitmate last night.

Both front cat's are gone the bank 2 cat was the one pulling the code but the bank1 cat was actualyl split and leaking.

Bank 1 replacement will be @ $180
Bank 2 he even said is jammed up there and a pain in the but so that will be @ $280
And the muffler has holes in it too so that wll be @ 180 for the muffler and pipes

The rear cats are fine so there's that in my favor.

Not too bad though... right around what I was hoping about $600 for essentially a whole new exhaust .

Just sucks that I wont have the money till next weekend. I just want this done and running well again!

if you want to make a few bucks back on that install, ask him for the old cats back when he takes them off. Old clogged cats get good money on ebay. They recycle them for precious metals. Go to ebay and punch in scrap catalytic converter and you will see what i mean......good luck

Back