• Register Today It's free!

Grille Guards on 06-08 X's?

djbriantwist

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited
Has anyone put a grille guard or push bar on a 4th Gen Xplorer? I can't find pictures anywhere and want to see one b4 I buy one. I am looking at both a Go Rhino pushbar without wraps and a Setina one w/o wraps.

It's mostly for looks but a little xtra protection couldn't hurt. Also does anyone know if this will prevent me from lifting it up 3" or so in the future?

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a GoRhino 3000 grille guard from Deals of Steel. Once I get it installed, I'll post some pics.

Thanks...Looking forward to the pix!

Has anyone put a grille guard or push bar on a 4th Gen Xplorer? I can't find pictures anywhere and want to see one b4 I buy one. I am looking at both a Go Rhino pushbar without wraps and a Setina one w/o wraps.

It's mostly for looks but a little xtra protection couldn't hurt. Also does anyone know if this will prevent me from lifting it up 3" or so in the future?

Thanks!!

Heres a 4th gen with a bull bar http://www.makotoautotrends.com/images/FD06EP-13860BBX.JPG

Maybe that's why noboby else really has these on their 4th gens..=)

Deals of Steel. The folks there are nice, but the entire order has been a huge fiasco. I ordered a set of Weathertech mats for the front, the 2nd row and the rear cargo area. I received the wrong rear cargo mat, I got two shipments of the second row mats and never received the fronts. I will not ever order from them again.

The grille guard is not their fault. I called GoRhino and they are the ones taking forever to get this shipped. If I could find another grille guard that looks as nice as this one, I would cancel my order and buy the other something else.

I hear ya...I really have had a lot of trouble finding pictures of the go rhino or setina push bars on any 4th gen x's. If i saw them, i really could figure out how they look exactly on our trucks. Until then i just keep photoshoppin away..

Looking forward to you getting yours so that we can see. btw, i ordered my weathertech xtreme duty liners from JC Whitney and they were shipped asap and I absolutely love them! Highly recommended!

Well I got tired of waiting for the gorhino grille guard and did some more searching for grille guards. I found a hidden websitefor a company named WAAG. I actually stumbled upon it by accident because they suck at getting anywhere in the top 100 of google for "2008 ford explorer grille guard". I am canceling my gorhino and ordering one of their center only guards. These are exactly what I've been looking for. These are one piece, welded construction, not the modular assembly like gorhino. I can't wait to get one of these on my X.

Check these out: Waag Grille Guards for the 06-08 Explorer

I really love the Frontrunner units and almost considered one of these, but I need the larger grille guard to use as a platform for mounting and displaying my led off road lights as well as my new Tomar RECT-13 led lights.

The link you provided to WAAG shows an 02-05 application, did you confirm they have 06+ applications as well? am I missing the information for 06+ on their site?

they do make nice products. I little different design than most, and appear to be well made. I've considered WAAG on past vehicles.

**EDIT** - i do see now they have 06-08 applications, too bad there is not a picture of the current one.

Yes, I have part number 12921 on order. It will be three to four weeks for delivery, but that's fine with me considering how nice these are.

Here is the application guide: Dead Link Removed

You'll find the 06-08 listed on the ninth row.

-Michael

bender said:
**EDIT** - i do see now they have 06-08 applications, too bad there is not a picture of the current one.
Well, as soon as I receive mine and get it installed, I'll put up some pix.

thankguys I havebeen looking for for one for my 08. I knew they made one to fit cause the cops have one.

Ok, I finally got the grille guard from WAAG. The weather was half way decent so I went out and took some photos yesterday. I really like the look of this unit and I'll let you form your own opinion. Installation was pretty simple, but I did have to grind and file open, the slots in the frame, where the mounting bolts were inserted. Other than that, everything else was pretty straight forward.

2008-Ford-Explorer-WAAG-Grille-Guard-Installed-01.jpg

2008-Ford-Explorer-WAAG-Grille-Guard-Installed-02.jpg

2008-Ford-Explorer-WAAG-Grille-Guard-Installed-03.jpg

2008-Ford-Explorer-WAAG-Grille-Guard-Installed-04.jpg

I'm very happy with the grille guard, especially since this is a fully welded product and not a bolt together like the one I was going to buy from GoRhino. I have never been a fan of bolt together grille guards.

-Michael

No offence Responder but I don't like that very much. Id prefer to have the 3 piece so I have some protection over my headlights. The one you have woulden't do much if you hit something. It looks more cosmetic than giving any real protection. Have you ever seen a chrome 3 piece? I like the black but would prefer a chrome one.

My Westin grill guard on my 3 gen is the size of a 3 piece that protects the headlights. But it does not bolt together but is all welded. Mine is one solid welded piece.

Country Bumpkin said:
No offence Responder but I don't like that very much. Id prefer to have the 3 piece so I have some protection over my headlights. The one you have woulden't do much if you hit something. It looks more cosmetic than giving any real protection. Have you ever seen a chrome 3 piece? I like the black but would prefer a chrome one.

None taken. I do not like the headlight wrap-arounds. I never have. WAAG offers a fully welded unit that has these, but I only wanted a grille guard. I don't intend to hit anything, and even if I did, the tubing sticking out that far would be useless. It will just push into the headlights and sheet metal. In fact, when I had the grille guard on my Jeep, I used the headlight hoops for a while, and they were ok, but when I had it stripped and powder coated, I left the hoops off and I was glad I did. I think the Jeep looked a lot better without them than it did with them.

I don't have this for "protection" anyway. I needed a well built and clean platform on which to install the applicable products I sell such as led off road lights and led warning lights.

I chose not to go with chrome because I will eventually have it stripped and powder coated to match the vehicle once I have all of the holes and mounting points in place. With all of the modifications I will make, chrome would be horrible to work with.

-Michael

AWESOME!!! I'm so happy finally someone on the internet got a front push bar with pictures. This has been sooo hard to find without the full headlight wraps. I would be very interested to find pictures of the gorhino one as well as the Setina brand. The waag is very nice but it has that bend as it goes up that opens out. (does that make sense?) It has a V shape instead of a U. I like it very much tho, great add!

If anyone has the other brands please post, i cannot find pictures anywhere and even contacted gorhinopd and also setina with no luck of pictures of the push bar only on a newer body explo.

Thanks much!

Also has anyone done the rear bumper guard? Does it interfere with the backup sensors?

djbriantwist said:
The waag is very nice but it has that bend as it goes up that opens out. (does that make sense?) It has a V shape instead of a U. I like it very much tho, great add!
The go-rhino does not have the same "V" shape but it's a bolt together unit with a flat pad on the lower cross-member for stepping on. I wasn't real thrilled with the design and when I found the WAAG unit, I snapped it up immediately!

go-rhino:
grille-brush-main_14.jpg

Honestly, I spent hours searching the web for grille guards and in my opinion, the WAAG is by far, the best product available, whether or not you want headlight hoops or not. They can be be purchased both ways.

-Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update on those who were waiting on parts shipment? I am so anxious to get the push bar but can't committ without seeing the various models. Since the manufacturers seem to have forgotten to add the 06 or new gen explorer installed pictures to their promos, this is my only shot.

Thanks all!! =)

Back