Right headlight! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Right headlight!

edbean

Reaction score
Hi,

Im very sorry if this is a repeat post (i know how annoying those can be) but I couldnt find the answer anywhere using the search.

I have a 1995 explorer eddie bauer edition and am having some trouble fixing the right head light and the fog lights.

I checked every fuse in both the engine compartment and inside to the left of the dashboard, all are ok. Both lights work when the highs are on, but the low and the fogs dont work.

I heard of several people having this same problem due to a "headlight switch" or sensor behind the dash or sterio. Could anyone please give me a picture of what im looking for or tell me how the heck to fix this lol.

Thanks so much!!!
-Ed-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the multifunction switch is the actual turn signal stalk
I have $5 days thats your problem

The multifuncition switch houses the relays for your headlights....cool eh?
Thanks ford!

Some people who are sick of buying new ones are rebuilding them..... I havent yet, I just keep using junk yard switches... next time I will take one apart and clean/rebuild it
Careful! lots of small parts in there

Nowt sure what they cost new?

Your problem sounds 100% like a bad multifunction switch

Its unlikely to be a MFS switch problem since one of the two low lights is working. Your most likely problem is your LOM.... search and yea shall find.

Well i heard it was a switch in the dash like 410 said, and based off the fact that the right and left headlights are on different systems (typical ford lol) im thinking that might be it.

Whats a LOM?

Where exactly is the malfunction switch. Am i just replacing that or a piece inside it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do you now or ever had anything spliced into the headlight circuit? (aftermarket DRL module, etc...?) There's two different wires and often those kind of accessory things are spliced into one of the headlight wires, which is connected to the other one. If there's a break, it'll cause something like this.

The LOM is the Lamp Out Module, and often causes problems like this. I don't have one in mine, but they always seem to be a hot issue on the forums, and they can usually be repaired if you're OK with a soldering iron.

I'm with Budwich on this one. If all is stock, then I'm betting it's the LOM. Several others have had the exact problem that was the LOM

Now watch it be the multifunction switch. But I can't see that possibility.

Have you checked the bulbs?

Ok...I dug out my 95 wiring diagram. It is indeed possible the multifunction switch could cause just one side to go out like this. However, this switch is BEFORE the interior fuse panel. Therefore, if you have power on fuses 33, 4, and 8, your multifunction switch is good and you can move on. (4 and 8 are internally tied in this particular circuit...so if you have it on one, you should have it on the other) The two wires out of the switch in question are GY/O and R/BK. Pins 3 and 5 in connector C210.

YEP....that's the reason that it is NOT the MFS.

Dang LOM modules, those were only in the limiteds werent they?

good info in this thread, let us know what you find out!

check fuses, check power at fuses to completely rule out the MFS or a wiring issue behind the dash, check wiring behind headlights, and then check the LOM's

I have seen the limiteds with themessage center have LOM codes displayed all the time, does my 96 even have LOM's?
Is the LOM's only purpose in life for the message center?

I believe they were only on the eddie bauer limiteds, Im pulling the lom and will update when im done.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

thanks Ford! the LOM should outlast the damn lamp = brilliant!

where is this thing!!! I got the screen off and i cant find the LOM, is it right below the screen to the right? It looks like its the LOM but then again so does everything else in this stupid console

thanks

Ok, I found it finally. Ill be checking with a multimeter.

Thanks for the help its much appreciated.

There is a thread running around here that shows how to bypass the LOM. It may be in the modified forum. There are other threads that tell you how to fix the LOM. It's usually a solder connection.

well... I got the LOM out and it was a bit crispy lol I had a guy at work solder everything up, headlights work good as new.

What would I do without you guys.

Thanks a TON for the help.

good to know! thanks for sharing, so glad its fixed!
For two years I would be driving my BII at night and all of a sudden NO LIGHTS!
I replaced everything! It ended up being a touchy touchy switch...thats was scary!

then I got a 96 Sploder, the headlights would stay on all the time when I parked in the garage, I figured it was FUBAR! thanks to the guys on this forum they pointed out to me I have a auto lamp switch on my rear view mirror, sure enough it was set to on :)
Explorer expert or not we all can use help from this board!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good to know! thanks for sharing, so glad its fixed!

Explorer expert or not we all can use help from this board!

Thanks for the help!

and your telling me :lol: this forum for sure saved me tons of time and money. :roll: (whys the red one upside down! :( )

Back