How many fog/aux lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many fog/aux lights?

How many fog/aux lights can you run off the stock alternator without stressing it? I have four 55 watt fog lights running now and it seems fine. But i wonder if i can add 4 more on a roof rack light bar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

watts = volts * amps

So it depends on how many amps your alternator can support. But man why do you need that many? Isnt that illegal?

watts = volts * amps

So it depends on how many amps your alternator can support. But man why do you need that many? Isnt that illegal?

idk about MA but here in nebraska i know that you can have as many as you want...just as long as nothing but the stock headlights and stock fogs are turned on when the cop sees you

well i wont have them all on at the same time. the four on the roof would just be for bad weather, dark roads...etc. And I love lights. But I will look up the state laws for MA and see if they are illegal.

it's actually rather hard to just "look up" state laws...beleive me i've tried...i've found the simplest thing to do is to just find a state trooper and ask him....i happen to be close friends with a state patrolmen's son so it was simple for me

Legal..Schmegal...If you dont get caught doing something stupid with your lights no one is going to bother you. Of course if you are stopped and you are an a-hole the law will find lots of violations to hit you with.

Answer to your question : Do it & see if you have a problem. You probably wont as I guess you have the 130 Amp. alternator. But who knows???
Do you know what the Alt. output is?

No i don't know what the Alt. output is. And I don't think i will have a problem with the law.

The law isn't really a problem... bassically if the lights are only for OFFROAD use or ONROAD use only the box says no officer will see in general (there are ALWAYS exceptions) second even if they are only offroad lights gennerally only a prob if your flashing people on the street... especcially at night and they would mostlikely want to see if they have a switch connected to your hibeams so you can turn them off with your hi beams... I have 4 Hella Ralye 4000 on the front of my rig (ton's of light and adding more) hooked them up with some switches a master switch and also through my hi beam so I use them on the highway at night also never had a problem... even through the city I leave them covered up civilians have asked if that's illegal but I fallow the rules

Second Alternator.. stock is usually 98 Amps... my bulbs are 100W so devide by 12 (10 is easier and close enough making it 10Amps ) so I know all (4) of my lights draw alittle less than 10 Amps each =40Amps plus stock hi beams wich usually at most are 100 W's so that is 60Amps there fore 98 -60= 38Amps how much do you need to run your truck?? and sterio?? big speakers amp?? ect ect get my drift

For me... yes when I hit all my lights it takes a hit with the stock I'm putting in a 220Amp and second bat and my warn winch with everything will all work nicely... you don't need all this if you have a stocker with 4 55W lights you'll be good!

sorry I don't usually cover my lights in the city*

you can watch your alternator indicator in your cluster will tell you the instant load of your elec system like pwr windows when the motor is finnished you'll see it draws more current and the needle will flicker to the lower side... I only notice my truck tryed to stall once on the hiway at 120K's when I came back from a long trip from BC and my Hi beams (and all lights) were going on and off every few minutes thats hard on the system the on off on off cuz it drains down your bat and the Alt can keep up never mind catch up!

Thanks that helps alot. But what if I add 4 more 55 watt?

Thanks that helps alot. But what if I add 4 more 55 watt?
ok well right now your running at about 200Watts plus 4 lights is another 200 so about 440 Watts devide 10 is 44Amps stock 1st gen is 98Amp Alt so about 50A left to run your truck radio headlights horn ect.... meaning your alitle more than me should be ok but all at once your system will feel it and after a couple of years of hard abuse it will start braking down so keeo an Alt up grade in the back of your head in the future

Ok thanks, now that i no that im probably not going to put those lights on because my X just pasted 202,000 miles. So i dont no how the alt is going to hold up with all that work.

Back