School Me on Clay Barring | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School Me on Clay Barring

So I've decieded to finally clay bar my ex. I've read online the basics on how to do it.

This is what I've got so far...

image.php

I'm going to clay bar the entire thing and then follow it up with this...

product_G12718.jpg

Do any of you detailing guru's have any tips?? Any dos and donts???

How much pressure do I need to use?? How often should I knead the clay??

Also, should I try to keep the clay bar away from the pinstripping?? Is the clay going to do anything to it???

Sorry for the long list of questions, but it's my first time doing some semi hardcore detailing. I've waxed the ex many times before, but never attempted the clay bar. I really need to protect my paint now, seeing how the stupid birds around here are using it for target practice :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks really, really really, good :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a feeling that you would pop in on this thread. So I felt inspired to do my own version of the famed MONMIX pic... :D

P9160051.jpg

The pic is a bit blurry bit it still shows how good it looks now. I am very impressed with the NXT 2.0 wax. Its a bit had to buff out but it shines like no other wax I've every used. I can't imagine what my paint would be like if I actually used rubbing compound and buffed the crap out of it.

Wow, VERY impressive. That picture on the last page is NUTS.

Would a clay bar treatment remove flecks of primer that were left on my Ex from the previous owner? It's not fine particles like a spray paint, but actually tiny drops of primer. Some are slightly smeared, others are not. Alternatively, would it be a bad idea to use a clay bar on this section?

Would a clay bar treatment remove flecks of primer that were left on my Ex from the previous owner? It's not fine particles like a spray paint, but actually tiny drops of primer. Some are slightly smeared, others are not. Alternatively, would it be a bad idea to use a clay bar on this section?

I'm a professional detailer in the Tidewater area of Virginia. The clay bar will remove the primer from your car. Use a car wash concentrate to wash the car and apply the clay bar while the soap is on the car. Clay barring is excellent for overspray removal, road tar, pine sap, polluntants, railroad dust and industrial fallouts.

Hmmm, alright. I really just wanted someone who knew what they were talking about to verify that this might work before I went out and spent the money. So let me make sure this is the order i should do things, because it's sort of a mixture of info I've heard from different sources.

- Someone said wash with something like dawn first to strip some of the old wax.
- Then, I may rinse. This first wash will be to get rid of all the sirface dirt (which there's a lot of because of the snow we had).
- Then, use the concentrated car wash I have (the non stripping kind) and clay bar while the soap is still on the car. I guess while I'm at it, I could slay bar everything. Also, should I be using the lube spray if it comes with it?
- Then when I'm done, rinse everything off? (I dont know if rinsing with the city water will introduce more junk to my car, but theres not much other source for water)
- Then when I'm done, people have suggested buffing it before I wax it again, but I'm not sure how important this is. I don't have a buffer or anything. Is there a pre-wax spray and wipe product I should use?
- Then, Wax the newly cleaned car to recover the shine. People have said the clay also tends to strip the wax, but I may be misinformed on that.

This is my procedure as I understand it, but there are still a lot of holes. If any of you fine people could help me fill on those holes, I would be much appreciated. Since this is such a time-consuming process, obviously I only want to have to do it once.

When I did mine, this is the steps that I did...

Wash with lots of soapy water, I used Dawn to strip the wax and dirt away.

Let it dry.

Begin the clay bar process, I used water and dawn instead of the lube that came with the kit. (Make sure to have lots of clean and soapy water for this)

Rinse away the soapy water, I also rubbed the panel with my other free hand to get rid of any little bits the water didn't wash away easily.

Let the panel dry.

Then wax.

That's how I did it...

Tips... When I did the actual clay barring, I did 1 panel at a time and took my time. Do not try and rush it, it will take some time. Also I think I did at least 2 coats of wax, it may have been 3. I think it turned out well, just look at the pictures in this thread and you will see the results... :)

Back