4.0-L, Mileage improvements

Dirtypaws

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello all. Still new at this.

I see where the mileage numbers for the 2009 version of this German engine are much better than those for my 1994 version based on the same block.

Can any of the improvements be retrofitted?

Thanks.

Dirtypaws

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Yeah. That sounds like more than a tweak. Thanks Al.

Hello all. Still new at this.

I see where the mileage numbers for the 2009 version of this German engine are much better than those for my 1994 version based on the same block.

Can any of the improvements be retrofitted?

Thanks.

Dirtypaws

IIRC they aren't the same block, not even close to the same design..

For the 4.0 ohv, better intake, cooler intake air temp seem to help BUT there isn't much you can do to tweak more mpg from the motor..

Its more a combination of tires size/gear ratio and most importantly speed.

We see a 2mpg difference between 70 and 65. We get 17ish at 65.. and thats with a 33" spare tire on the roof with 33" tires. Our X is no longer aerodynamic (if it ever was :)).

Thats highway mpg.. Around town I don't bother measuring, plus we don't drive in town that often..

If you can figure a way to do it on a 1st gen, replacing the engine fan with an electric fan can help quite a bit, especially on the freeway.. But I don't think I've seen anyone sucessfully get an E-fan to work the way they wanted on a 1st gen (at least not in hot climates).. 2nd gen is a different story.

~Mark

Back