08 Sport Trac XLT, New owner, new to site | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

08 Sport Trac XLT, New owner, new to site

SgtDuckyboy

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac XLT
Just purchased my Sport Track and am really pleased with it. The rebates right now are insane. i wish I would have picked up the Limited as all the mods I am doing will make it more like a Limited. But I like DIY things and I take care of it better when I have a little sweat in it.
Mods I am planning on:
CAI - any advice? is it noticeable? will be towing motorcycles couple times a year long distances.
head unit replace with Pioneer avic f700
remote start - hard to figure out what i need, any advice is appreciated
programmer/tuner? - also is this a worth while venture like CAI
nice seat covers - stock cloth is light tan and I know it will get stained. any ideas on where to get some good quality ones?
vent covers for windows - cant find one for rear window, any thoughts?
i have goodyear fortera tires on it, 16's i think, seem to ride nice, any info on these would be appreciated.
ideas on what to do with compartments in bed, other than for tools or beer cooler!
make light bar out of cargo rack- saw one here, nice mod!

will add pics soon. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the forum

Welcome to the site !!!!!

Welcome!
I am not aware of any available CAI for the V6, only the V8. You didn't say which engine you have. IMHO the stock intake isn't restrictive. I dropped a K&N in mine and called it good.
I am very happy with the performance and mpg improvement from the Gibson exhaust I put on.:thumbsup:
Mine came with 17" Goodyear Forteras, a decent road tire but utterly awful in snow :thumbdwn: which is like, mostly why I have a 4x4 Sport Trac. They'll be due for replacement by summer and I'll get something better and more all-terrain-ey.
I keep my towing stuff, jumper cables, bungees, tie downs, quick-start ether for starting cars and launching the potato cannon, and a few tools in the storage compartments. Pretty soon I'm going to get a bed mat, compared to the bed in my old '05 the bed in the '08 scuffs a lot easier and grass clippings get stuck around the storage doors.

Thanks a lot everyone!

You guys are great. Thanks for all the responses. I do have the 4.0, thought that was the only V6 there was. or did i forget to mention if i had v of v8? no biggie!

Thanks for info on the tires. I will purchase a decent set of rims and through some better tires on them for snow or put the rims i got on some better snow tires, then get some nicer rims for the current tires.

I always go K&N. Guess a drop in will have to do. what about plugs? does anyone have info on what plugs are in the '08s and if there is a better MPG plug out there? my 04 ranger with same v6 was pretty picky about plugs if i recall and several people in another forum said it made things worse. I know i am getting a vehicle without great mileage but I love tinkering and will spend some money and make adjustments to get the extra 2-5 mpg that I can.
also, i do have a diablo sport chip from my 04 V6 4.0.. dont think it would work in this engine do ya? believe me, i am not willing to try without some sort of proof it does work.

also, i know the Limited had sunroofs but they had a different headliner and the overhead console for remote and glasses was gone. i suppose you would need a new headliner and overhead light fixture for that to work correctly.

any other thoughts?

I don't think the chip will work I know that a tuner will not work from an 04 on an 08 not sure about the chip. The reason is the pre 05 computers were 256k the 05 and up computers are 512k or something like that I do know for sure but the computers are different so the tuners will not work. I have sniper tuning I used on my 01 F-150 and I can not use it on my 08 adrenalin because of the different computers.

any word on if there will be one? some guy on ebay said his 'will' work but the label only said through '06. i got the weeby jeeebies on that. not spending 370 bucks on that!

370 for a CAI is expensive I think my K&N was 250.00. It may work just because he does not list your year you would have to find out if the 06 4.0 and the 08 4.0 are the same design.

what about plugs? does anyone have info on what plugs are in the '08s and if there is a better MPG plug out there? my 04 ranger with same v6 was pretty picky about plugs if i recall and several people in another forum said it made things worse.
There is no plug that will make any difference in anything. In an '08 just check the gaps on the OE plugs if you want to be picky and don't worry about it for the next 50k. Stick with Motorcraft or Autolite double platinums. Bosch +2 and +4 plugs do not get along with the Ford ignition system. Don't believe the hype.
If you want mpg just get a cat-back exhaust. If I keep it under 70 I get 22 mpg on the highway (it's rated at 19).

any word on if there will be one? some guy on ebay said his 'will' work but the label only said through '06. i got the weeby jeeebies on that. not spending 370 bucks on that!
There was no '06 Sport Trac. Went from '05 to the new body style in '07. A '01-'05 CAI will not fit an '07-'08. A regular Explorer 4.0 CAI, if there is one, may fit, I don't know. Last I looked K&N did not make a FIPK for late-model 4.0 Explorers.

There are some parts at www.zabteck.com.

Thanks Johnny and BigV.
i was referring to the chip for the last comment i made.
no prob.
so what setup do you have for the exhaust? i'd like it to come out the rear not the side. i would like to consider duplicating your setup so i can get the same effects. do you have k&n af too?

They don't make an after market exhaust for the adrenalin so mine is custom. Which means my buddy cut the resonator and muffler out and welded in a magnaflow muffler. So you have two choices I would say go with whats cheaper buy a cat back and have a friend or shop alter the tailpipe to come out the rear. Or cut your stock unit up and weld in a performance muffler and have them run the tailpipe out the rear.

Back