Tranny problem on my 1994 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny problem on my 1994 Explorer

MaconMan

Reaction score
City, State
Macon, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT ?
Howdy, I'm new here, so please bear with me. I have a 1994 Ford Explorer. I'm having a problem with it shifting. I can get the engine up to about 3000 RPM, let it drop to about 1500 RPM and it will shift. It won't shift when I try to manually shift it either. It only does it the first time it shifts. (everytime) If I don't do that it doesn't shift. It also only does this when the check engine light is on. I have taken it to a few places to see if they can read the code but they don't find anything. Has anyone else had this problem? If so can you tell me what it was? I'm thinking it has to be electrical, because it ony does it when the CHECK ENGINE light is on. Is there anyone that can help me? Thanks for taking time to read this!:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome macon

Welcome! If you haven't taken it to a Ford Service center, that's what you need to do. :) Good luck!

Welcome. Hows the fluid level?

Welcome! If you haven't taken it to a Ford Service center, that's what you need to do. :) Good luck!

Ummmmm...No. Don't do that.

Does it only do this when it is cold if so, try servicing it with new fluid and a new filter. Also add a bottle of Lucas transmission. If it does this hot or cold, the you may need to re-build the valve body. We have an awesome thread in the transmission section on how to do this yourself.

I have taken it to the local Ford dealer, They want $300 just to look at it. The fluid level is fine, but it is a little brown instead of red. I'll change it this weekend. Thanks for all your replies, John

Back