2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins

Dana 44 out of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer.

My plan is to get as little llift as possible as I dont feel like removing my body lift. So I am using the stock Waggy knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and likely using new waggy steering parts as well and keeping it 6 lug.

I will leave it spring under as to keep the lift minimal, and use 4" lifted springs. Doing it this way will save me from buying high steer knuckles and a high steer setup. Is this best way, maybe not, but it saves me alot money and keeps my lift to around 5".

Now for those who are asking themselves why am I even bothering with this SAS. My reasons are that my Sport Trac goes through UCA and lower ball joints every other month, and I destroy tires in under 8 months. The truck just cannot handle 35's. PLus it will be way stronger than the IFS, and will flex much more than my IFS system.

If anyone has any thoughts/recomendations/concerns, I welcome all the help you can offer.

I hope money does not slow me down, but the cold weather might, either way my goal is to have this done well before Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

did you make those out riggers and shackle mounts and if not where did you get them and the shackles from?

Outriggers and shackle mounts were bought from Ruffstuff Specialties.com mention the Pirate website and he gives a 10% discount. The shackles are Performance Accessories for a Jeep, they were the shortest (4") the shop had in stock by my house.

Great progress Chad, and nice work.

Guys preperation is the key, and Chad seems to have a good lock down on it, I bet he hits the Moab date no problem :D:thumbsup:

Jeff - :navajo:

Spas also got a new aluminum rad to help clear the box, but I don't know of anyone else who did that, so you should be ok.

Maybe consider the Toyota IFS box like IZ had, it sits outside the frame rail and will make things much easier. Also has a lot of hydro assist info if you go that way at some point. That's what I planned to use before I went full hydro.

not to steal the thread or anything but i am getting parts together for a swap and i have a 78 f250 sprung over axle hp44 and i am have trouble try to figure out what size shackles and stock or lifted springs? I have the superlift ifs kit with coilovers now and i want it to be a little higher so what should i do? Once again sorry i am not trying to take over ur thread sorry..

tha704mafia: here is the info discussed on springs, shackles.
Also, rockranger give a pretty good description of every single thing needed back on about page 4 or 5

Outriggers and shackle mounts were bought from Ruffstuff Specialties.com mention the Pirate website and he gives a 10% discount. The shackles are Performance Accessories for a Jeep, they were the shortest (4") the shop had in stock by my house.

Also I am going to get the FSJ leaf springs and now I am thinking I might as well do SOA. So my question is can do the SOA with the stock knuckles? I really cant spend another 400 for knuckles now and I want to get going on this project, as Moab is not that far away and I want to do a couple shake down runs first.

And thank you all for your replies and help, it is truly appreciatted.

Ok so I started working on the steering tonight and basically got nowhere. 2 items that came up where.
1. My stock steering shaft will not fit on the Gen1 splines. So what shaft do I use? I thought I read that a Gen2 shaft worked? Mine is the same thing as a gen 2 I thought.
2. I need to get some DOM to make sleeves for the bolts, but there is not even enough to run the botls on top and bottom of the frame. So do you have to cut a recess in the frame for the sleeve?

Or should I look into a Toyota IFS box? If that will be easier then that will be the way to go. What will I need?

Thanks for the compliments and help I truly appreciatte it. I need to get some sleep now been burning the midnight oil for to many days straight and I am not thinking clearly, and need to get out of the garage for a little bit, and take a step back and regroup.

Or should I look into a Toyota IFS box? If that will be easier then that will be the way to go. What will I need?
Basically you drill the frame to weld in some sleeves which the Toyota IFS box's bolts will go through. The other difficult thing is going to be the Pitman arm's TRE cauz its pretty small, but there's moderate aftermarket support for this.

As I recall, I used 0.75" OD - 1/2" ID (1/8" wall) tubes for the sleeves. And I think the IFS box's holes may have to be drilled out slightly, but not 100% sure.

Take a look on this page to see what Trail Gear offers to install an IFS box. You could even use their fish plates, but I suspect the DOM may be too short. You may be able to get them to cut you longer pieces. You will def want to plate the frame to prevent stress cracks.

http://www.trail-gear.com/ifs-boxes.html

Also check out the page with their high steer. Their arms will work with the FJ-80 TRES on that page and they are supposed to be pretty strong.

http://www.trail-gear.com/highsteer.html

Whichever way you go, you will need a new high pressure hose from the pump to the box. First gen will use the first gen hose and IZ has notes on how you can get your current hose modified to work with the Toyota IFS at a hydraulic shop.

Keep up the good work!

I would like to keep the Gen 1 setup because I already have it. But I will look into what Iz did if I can find it.

But If I go Toyota IFS I need the IFS box anyone know which year I need? There is a 100.00 difference in them and I am sure I will need the more expensive unit. Toyota IFS Pitman arm and the FJ80 TRE?

I would use the newer ones, 89 - 95. You should be able to find one on ebay or at a JY pretty cheap.

You are fabbing up a mount anyway and this way you don't need to worry about the radiator at all. I went through that with Spas setup and it was a pain :mad:

I cannot find any info on the PS lines and the steering shaft for the Toy setup. I would rather not change now as it means more time waiting for parts to arrive.

So I assume I need a Gen1 steering linkage? I took a look at FatCat's SAS thread and found a good pic of his Gen1 steering setup. So tonight I am going to get my new wheels and tires installed on the truck and set my pinion angle. Tack the perches on and then take the axle back out and figure out the steering. I am going to get some DOM tubing today for sleeves and I will just tack it on the frame until I find the sweet spot to mount the box. Then get a flexible lower rad hose that will go around the gear box.

Also has anyone re-used their PS fluid cooler when doing the SAS?

Also has anyone re-used their PS fluid cooler when doing the SAS?
I used a transmission cooler from a first gen. But any transmission cooler will work - just flush it out to get rid of any dirt.

Well it seems that all I need is a different style clamp that will fit the input shaft of the gen 1 gearbox. My current steering linkage/shaft will work if I get the correct clamp and can mount it to my current steering shaft. See the area I boxed in to see what I need to change.

Coilandhoopin.jpg

Back