• Register Today It's free!

Custom Explorer Chassis

slammedxonair

Reaction score
City, State
vermilion ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 2wd
Well I have been working on this project for some time now for a customer things have been changed around and whatnot but I'm finally able to get going on the build. Here are the beginning of the build pics. It is a mustang II front suspension and will have a Heidts IRS as well. The truck is getting a full air ride system, and is going to have a pretty big motor in it as well.

small%20rendering.JPG

j1.JPG

j2.JPG

j3.JPG

j4.JPG

j5.JPG

j6.JPG

j7.JPG

j8.JPG

j9.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking work. Can't wait to see the finished product:D

Good stuff - clean!

thanks everybody, there are a few other explorers out there with full custom frames but most of them are for stock floor body drops. As for a time frame I need to get this thing done fast I have other projects I need to get goin with. This has been in the works for a year now and I'm just now getting started. I also have to try and get my explorer road worthy within the next 3 weeks, gona be busy and will try to update both threads as much as I can.

Thats awesome man, i cant wait to see some updates and pics :D

I wish I could do work like that, great job!

Interesting, enjoy making it happen.

The Motor specs: 351W stroked out to a 432 with around 500+WHP.

Here are some pics of starting to put the Heidts rearend together, threadlocking the studs into the housing.

normal_j10.jpg

normal_j11.jpg

normal_j12.jpg

This is so exciting! This is exactly what I want to do to my X someday. I look forward to the results. Definitely let us know how it rides/handles after these extensive changes.

well with the full independent suspension and air ride its gona ride pretty much as smooth as it gets. I personally will probably never ride in the truck. Your going to have to ask the owner about that one. I don't even have the body here just the stock and new chassis.

I got a bit more if the IRS together today. I need to get a couple specialty sockets and whatnot so I can torque some of the bolts on the brakes and bubs before I can go any farther.

normal_j17.jpg

normal_j18.jpg

Inboard brakes....very cool!

I like it....anymore pics? How about pics of YOUR ride?

Ryan

wow when did I get stickied lol. Anyways progress has been slow on the build I fell on some metal in the dark in a friends backyard and took a chunk out of my leg and was layed up with stitches for about 2 weeks I should have more proress pics in the next couple days.

My forever changing build thread is here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133846 I think i finally have a setup that works on the rear the way I want it to.

I stickied this thread yesterday:D This is a build for the records!:chug:

wow when did I get stickied lol. Anyways progress has been slow on the build I fell on some metal in the dark in a friends backyard and took a chunk out of my leg and was layed up with stitches for about 2 weeks

i feel ya lol yesterday i jumped down this wall thing to get to a beach with my gf, and all my weight landed on my right foot, and the rock was crooked and my foot bent so bad like toes toward my knees i couldnt move for about 20 mins i stood there lol

I stickied this thread yesterday:D This is a build for the records!:chug:

Awsome! Update: I started torquing some bolts with the specialty head socket and broke the socket so now I need to track down a new one. It was only at 30ft/lbs also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres a small update finally after being layed up for a couple weeks with stitches in my leg. Got the rearend all together along with the new smaller tires mounted on the rims. I also have the height set, fully layed out so the u joints don't bind up and where the bags will be installed fully collapsed.

normal_j19.jpg

normal_j20.jpg

Back