MAJOR cat problem. possible impound? PLEASE HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAJOR cat problem. possible impound? PLEASE HELP!!

rv.shredder07

Reaction score
City, State
Garden Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2x4
Okay so i have a huge problem.

I have a 96' 4.0 that didn't pass smog because the cats are bad. (threw a P0420 code).

Apparently, all of the aftermarket cats that an hour long internet search seemed to find, are NOT Cali legal. I called Midas (longshot) asking if they could do it. After the man looked for a bit, his response was.."yeah it looks like you may have to go to one of these chinese guys up the street. they'll do it but it won't be legal" :WTF:

Can anyone help? :(:(

As of June 1st, cops can officially impound my baby if they notice my tags are expired. :feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you my have to go through Ford for that. Maybe a junkyard?

You might have to go to Ford. If you do bring a jar of Vasoline. You'll need it.

It's BS like this that I have no desire to ever set foot in California.

that's where i got screwed over. they don't sell them anymore for my ex. I just called a muffler shop and the guy said it'd be ballpark around 450-500 to custom fab one.

i don't understand why the hell everyone makes a 49 state legal one. :thumbdwn:

that's where i got screwed over. they don't sell them anymore for my ex. I just called a muffler shop and the guy said it'd be ballpark around 450-500 to custom fab one.

i don't understand why the hell everyone makes a 49 state legal one. :thumbdwn:

I don't understand why California has to mandate a state specific converter. Cat convertors are Federaly mandated but that's not good enough.

it's MAJOR MAJOR BS!

I'm moving to CO in a year. Can't wait for that. California sucks. :fire: :banghead:

Hell, they even make California spec lawnmowers now.

Can you believe that?

They have had to use a CAFE specific fuel hose on small engines for a while now and I would imagne it applies to vehicles as well.

Like I've always said: California is like a bowl of granola.

As of June 1st, cops can officially impound my baby if they notice my tags are expired. :feedback:

well DMV is issuing one time 30 day temporary permits while you are in the process of repairing the vehicle.

Looks like you my have to go through Ford for that. Maybe a junkyard?

NO JUNKYARDS that has been a No No here for many years.

well DMV is issuing one time 30 day temporary permits while you are in the process of repairing the vehicle.

sweet. that'll help. So i just go in to the DMV and ask for one? how to do i go about that?

I love all the "generalized" CA smack talk. People won't come here because of smog regulations... really? I guess that's good though, there are too many people that do come here anyway. My explorer passed when it was running on 5cyl. and some of the spark plugs were completely missing the porcelain.

Anyway, it's not really legal, but as a very very temp fix, just hollow out the bad cat for the smog check. Drive it around for about 15-20 min before the test and it should pass fine. Then you don't have to hurry to find a replacement before your tags are due.

haha man i wish i knew that before. but i've been overdue since january. Don't know how in the hell cops don't want to pull me over. I've even had squad cars pull up next to me, stop and look at my plates, then just pull forward and drive away.

sweet. that'll help. So i just go in to the DMV and ask for one? how to do i go about that?

yea just take your failed test results and registration card with you to the DMV and tell em you need more to repair the vehicle and you probably have to pay the registration fees at that time and then they will give the the temp tag.

good luck on finding a converter i was just looking around too on the net and found nothing yet for a 1996 Explorer.

But i did see that Magnaflow has one for 1991-1994 "california" Explorers in stock for 700.00 :eek: :fire:

49 state model for the same vehicle is 213.00 *******s:mad:

that's it i am ready to pack it up and move also, had enough of this crap

i spoke with a guy in long beach who is gonna fab up a set for me. No labor charged either which is nice.

thanks for your help guys :chug:

...This is what I found for the Cali 91 X 4.0...:dunno:

Year Description Product Type Part # MSRP
1991 4.0L; Direct-Fit DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER 33388 $651.73
1991 4.0L; Front UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER 33106 $203.17
1991 4.0L; Rear UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER 34006 $208.13

...I added the useful link to the "California Smog" thread...:biggthump
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219411

he is looking 1996 model converter i just post the info about 1st gens for reference i guess

NO JUNKYARDS that has been a No No here for many years.[/QUOTE]

.....That's.....I can't even speak. That's like no Outback or no Auto Zone...That's un-American.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love all the "generalized" CA smack talk. People won't come here because of smog regulations... really?

I'm sure its not just the smog... Cali is one of the least free states.

NO JUNKYARDS that has been a No No here for many years.

.....That's.....I can't even speak. That's like no Outback or no Auto Zone...That's un-American.

I think he means you can't get a cat at a junkyard. I think that goes in most if not all 50 states?

Back