• Register Today It's free!

Looking for New Shocks

sledgehammer1990

Reaction score
City, State
Doylestown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I bought my explorer back in April of 2008. It was and still is in great condition. I have replaced a number of parts, but when I first got it, I had the guy put on some new shocks. He replaced them with what looked like stock ones anyway.

I just drove up to the Poconos in PA for a vacation with 9 of my friends just to hang out, but on the way back, The PA Turnpike had so many bumps. I was cruising at 70, and every little bump would basically throw my truck around. I want to get some new shocks, but I don't know what to get.

I thought I saw some Edelbrock IAS shocks on sale for $30 ea. It was on their site, but I cannot find it anymore. Are these shocks good? I wanna get them and install them before my trip to my mountain house in late July. I will be doing some trail riding while up there. I am getting a front end alignment, should I wait till after I install the shocks?

Edit: Just found them... What do you think? The Rear ones are out of stock atm.

(front)
http://store.edelbrock.com/33081991-94eplorer2and4wdfront.aspx

(rear)
http://store.edelbrock.com/34081991-94eplorer2and4wdrear.aspx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would get the shocks before the alignment. The Edelbrocks are fantastic for stock height vehicles in my opinion. Ran them for years. If you can find them for $30 get them. I think I paid $55 and that was a steal. Zero complaints on the Edelbrock IAS Performers for stock height. They are very pricey now though.

I found the links, and this looks like an amazing sale. Should I order the front now before they sell out? Or wait for the rear to restock? It is free shipping...

Personally I would buy them now. Its free shipping so why wait. Unbelievable Price. I am no expert here at all, just offering my personal opinion and experience from running those shocks. Not that it is a big deal but they were not rusted when I removed them either. I have had Explorer Pro Comp shocks on for less than a year and the eyelets already have the paint gone & they are rusted....

It's kinda crazy for shocks to be worn out in 1 year. What are the chances the incorrect shocks were used? Another thing that could add to the bouncing around would be tires over-inflated.

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I just thought they were that crappy. I already ordered the front shocks. I just need to keep an eye on the rear ones so I can order them when they are in stock. All 4 tires are at 26 PSI like the door says.

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I just thought they were that crappy. I already ordered the front shocks. I just need to keep an eye on the rear ones so I can order them when they are in stock. All 4 tires are at 26 PSI like the door says.

It's also possible the previous owner just wiped the existing shocks down and called them new. For the most balanced ride make sure you get the same type of shock for the rear.

The $30 each edelbrocks are a great deal.

I will be ordering the rear one I have listed as soon as they are in stock. I won't install them until I get all 4.

Did you get your shocks yet? I have a set available.

I did get the front shocks, but they haven't restocked the rear yet. If you have the rear and they are in good condition, I would be more than willing to buy them off of you.

Hey everyone,

I'm also looking at putting in some new shocks. I figured I would just post in a thread about the same thing rather than starting a new one.

Just a stock 98 XLT 4x4, stock height and I don't plan on changing it. I plan on doing very minor off roading, like logging roads etc. for camping. And I also spend alot of time on the street. I just want a smoother ride. I'm riding on the original stockers and not too happy with the feel of them. Want a better all around ride.

Just wondering what some suggestions are for shocks?

Hey everyone,

I'm also looking at putting in some new shocks. I figured I would just post in a thread about the same thing rather than starting a new one.

Just a stock 98 XLT 4x4, stock height and I don't plan on changing it. I plan on doing very minor off roading, like logging roads etc. for camping. And I also spend alot of time on the street. I just want a smoother ride. I'm riding on the original stockers and not too happy with the feel of them. Want a better all around ride.

Back