shock absorbers for towing 5th wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

shock absorbers for towing 5th wheel?

I recently bought a 99 explorer from my father for a good price. It has the hitch and brake controller for a trailer. My only concern is that the Explorer sits very low in the rear once the 5th wheel is added. Can you recommend shocks brand or upgrade I should add? Thanks.

Currently the truck has stock shock absorbers and I *think* the trailer (colman) 2600lb, but pretty balanced.

Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think 5th wheel is the proper term - a 5th wheel is the type where the coupling is in the bed of the pickup truck.

As for the shocks, thats not your problem as shocks dont determine ride height. What you probably need are some axtra leaves in the rear spring - like an "Add A Leaf" or "AAL" as some call it. Search for it if you need more info.

EDIT - you can also try some helper springs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HEL-1535/?image=large

I dont think 5th wheel is the proper term - a 5th wheel is the type where the coupling is in the bed of the pickup truck.

If it is, I want to see a photo of the setup. :p: :D

thanks

I'll look into putting an extra leaf spring in. :hammer:

I'll look into putting an extra leaf spring in. :hammer:
Sounds to me like too much tongue weight, is there added equipment on the tongue? At 2600 pounds the tounge should be no more than 260 pounds, not enough to drop your rear end normally. You might want to move any thing loose more to the rear of the camper.

If the tounge weight is in normal ranges, you might have some broken leaf springs.
The coleman will normally not have shocks as there are no passengers.

Sounds to me like too much tongue weight, is there added equipment on the tongue? At 2600 pounds the tounge should be no more than 260 pounds, not enough to drop your rear end normally.
I think the problem is compounded by sagging leaf springs - which is common especially in the 2nd generation Explorers.

I will try new springs

When we go camp the back of the explorer is loaded pretty good, but no more then 200lbs of stuff I would think. I was looking online and for the 1999 explorer most auto parts websites recommend HELLWIG LP-15 LEVEL HELPER SPRING KIT, POWDERCOATED BLACK -- model #815. It is an older car so I was going to put on new shocks also.

For my previous 1991 Explorer I put on KYB monomax shocks and they were somewhat stiff, kind of a rough ride. Can anyone recommend a good shock absorber that give a smooth ride? I take it off road to go shooting, but usually nothing too heavy duty.

Thanks.

Oh, BTW, there is nothing on the tongue, just the trailer.

Back