My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My A4LD - M5OD Conversion Thread

Just a quick update... I've been reading a lot of stuff about different things related to all this and I'm confident it will be driving again this weekend. I also anticipated a couple future steps and in so doing I have the following on the way to my house:

Manual lockout hubs
Dynomax catback exhaust
Saginaw power steering pump from a 1979 F350
Smallish transmission cooler (to help the Saginaw)
CB Antenna bracket so I can FINALLY install my CB

I may get a little done on the Explorer today; if I do, I'll update tonight. If I don't get around to it, I'll certainly be busting my butt all day tomorrow and should have a substantial update available at that point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque converter and flywheel are out, as well as the shifter cable and the kickdown cable. Now it's time to start piecing this bad boy back together.

The only really pain in the ass part about this whole process is being on my back reaching up. Within ten minutes I can't move my arms because they're out of blood.

Torque converter and flywheel are out, as well as the shifter cable and the kickdown cable. Now it's time to start piecing this bad boy back together.

The only really pain in the ass part about this whole process is being on my back reaching up. Within ten minutes I can't move my arms because they're out of blood.

Woohoo.. :biggthump another milestone in the conversion...

btw.. you removed the flexplate and your going to install a flywheel.. :D just bustin your chops.. sounds like you need it.. things are starting to go well again. :)

~Mark

Geez- and I was just picking on someone about that yesterday!

Yet another speed bump, though. The new flywheel is garbage. They'll have another one here for noon. Hopefully that one will be right.

Okay- the transmission is mounted into place and bolted up! I have it resting on the floor jack for tonight because the mosquitoes are getting to me.

The bolts for the slave cylinder were too short for the aftermarket slave that came with my kit, so I had to run to Lowe's for new ones. The originals were RTVed so I did the same on the new ones.

I'm getting excited... it's finally coming together...

I'll get up early tomorrow and get after it again. Still need to get a neutral safety switch and need to replace the bronze colored plate on the shifter (the seal is torn), but those can be done without for a few days.

The fun part will be bleeding the slave cylinder...

Transmission and transfer case are bolted up with the crossmember. It's a major ***** lying on a creeper, lifting that heavy ass transfer case from the ground three inches below you, then balancing it in place with one hand until you can turn the output shaft on the case to match up the splines with the transmission. Either way, it's done. Help would have been a great thing today, but that's done. :D

I'm about to go bolt up the driveshafts, then I need to re-swap the brake pedal, since I accidentally put the automatic pedal into the reconfigured assembly. While I'm under there I'll very likely do the zip-tie "fix" on the accelerator cable.

It's getting close!!

Still lots to do, but the driveshafts and pedals are all straightened out. I broke a few more wire connections around the parking brake while swapping the pedals again. Too strong for delicate procedures I suppose.

Just some wiring to fix up, as well as the master cylinder install and the bleeding process, then it's exhaust and fill up the fluids. I'll be back on it first thing Saturday, hopefully to finish.

be shure you bench bleed the master. i forgot and it to a few days to figure it out lol

I'm going to try the master that came out of the Navajo. If it has trouble I won't hesitate to get a new one, but having to replace the exhaust and power steering pump at the same time killed the funds on this project. I'll certainly bench bleed it first, though.

Jealous am I, got the shop and no funds. Least you don't need a gym membership, benching a trans and transfer case will do the trick...
Good stuff!!

Made some minor progress today. Replaced the neutral safety switch on the transmission; repaired and installed the transmission wiring harness; repaired a switch on the pedals; installed and wired the starter; installed the upper intake; hung the tailpipe; I had started to cut the shifter hole in the carpet when the rain came. Just a few things left and I'm good to go!!

Nice man movin' right along!

Fought the 91 master cylinder for over an hour before I gave up and ordered the '92-specific master. It'll be here tomorrow. Hoping to have this 100% complete and driving before I leave for Mexico on the 19th.

You'll likely also need to get the metal part from a '92 that the master twists into that bolts to the firewall. I don't believe the new masters come with them.

The new master came with the metal "housing" that bolts it to the firewall. It's crazy how many different master cylinder designs exist for such a small range of vehicles.

In case you didn't see my thread, I accidentally ordered the slave cylinder for a '93 Explorer. I didn't realize this until I attempted to hook the clutch hose into the slave and it didn't work. This is, of course, with the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, etc installed. So I did some research and pulled the clutch hose from a Ranger with the newer design slave cylinder. The master cylinder end was identical. My hose came from a 1994 Ranger with a 3.0 and five speed. It actually ended up fitting quite perfectly.

So, the transmission stuff is 95% complete and I have good pedal pressure on the clutch.

Here's what I have left:

Replace switch on parking brake (I have one)
Fill transmission
Fill transfer case
Install exhaust system (tail pipe is hung already)
Cut hole in carpet for shifter and lay it back down
Install the kick panels and under dash covers
Install shifter
Install seats and center console
DRIVE THIS BISH!!

I drove it home!!

Still need to finish installing the rest of the interior but it drove great for the 1/4 mile.

I think I need to adjust my brake pedal switch. Additionally, it won't go into four low. I think there's a wire I need to ground or something- I'll research it a bit later.

One big thing- I found that the under side of the intake tube at the throttle body melted through at some point. I'll bet that's the source of the delayed throttle response. It's also why I'm not going to drive it again until I replace the intake tube. I'd rather not risk further damage even though there's no telling how long it's been like that.

Let me know if you figure out the 4 low thing. Mine is doing the same thing and I havent got a change of figuring it out yet. Been busy.

Im also just now swapping in a 5 speed.

The red wire with the white stripe that went to the neutral safety switch on the automatic needs to be grounded for the computer to think that you have put the rig into neutral or on a manual trans rig, pushed in the clutch. You'll need to splice the red/white wire into the cranking circuit so that it sees ground when you push in the clutch. I spliced it into the light blue/pink wire at the fender well plugs on the drivers side that the trans harness' plug into.

Or, you can simply hook that red/white wire up to a ground and just remember to be stopped and have the clutch pushed in when you switch to 4 low, cause it would then shift into 4 low at any time.
_________

The red wire with the white stripe that went to the neutral safety switch on the automatic needs to be grounded for the computer to think that you have put the rig into neutral or on a manual trans rig, pushed in the clutch. You'll need to splice the red/white wire into the cranking circuit so that it sees ground when you push in the clutch. I spliced it into the light blue/pink wire at the fender well plugs on the drivers side that the trans harness' plug into.

Or, you can simply hook that red/white wire up to a ground and just remember to be stopped and have the clutch pushed in when you switch to 4 low, cause it would then shift into 4 low at any time.
_________

I didnt have a LB/PK wires on my 1991 at the trans connector. You got me thinking though and I looked up the wiring diagram on everytihng and the 4x4 module gets signal from the R/LB on a manual trans. So I spliced the R/W into the R/LB and everything works great now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks guys!! I'll check it out tonight.

Back