• Register Today It's free!

Exterior Lights on w/unlock

mikeytotka23

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Would it be possible to have the tail lights and parking lights (or head lights) come on when I unlock my Explorer with the remote? I was thinking there might be a way to do it by hooking them into the interior lights (since they come on when you unlock the doors), does anyone know if this is possible or what it would entail?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it be possible to have the tail lights and parking lights (or head lights) come on when I unlock my Explorer with the remote? I was thinking there might be a way to do it by hooking them into the interior lights (since they come on when you unlock the doors), does anyone know if this is possible or what it would entail?

Best way to do this is to put a relay in - the relay turns on when the door lights come on, and then power the parker light circuit. Only problem I see is this will happen every time you turn the interior lights on, not just when you unlock the truck.

Best way to do this is to put a relay in - the relay turns on when the door lights come on, and then power the parker light circuit. Only problem I see is this will happen every time you turn the interior lights on, not just when you unlock the truck.

So if I do that would it cause the interior lights to come on when I turn on the exterior lights or just the other way around? Also would it cause any problems (blown fuses, etc.) since the exterior lights pull so much power?

So if I do that would it cause the interior lights to come on when I turn on the exterior lights or just the other way around? Also would it cause any problems (blown fuses, etc.) since the exterior lights pull so much power?

If you wire the reay properly, it won't turn the interior lights on when you turn the parkers/head lights/fogs on. The relay only closes contacts when the interior lights are on, and the lights you want lit up are then run direct from the battery.

If you can hook into the puddle lights circuit this is even better as they don't come on when the interior lights are on (I think).

This is a standard relay diagram - substitute puddle light circuit for ignition and there's your circuit done.

relaywire.jpg

If you wire the reay properly, it won't turn the interior lights on when you turn the parkers/head lights/fogs on. The relay only closes contacts when the interior lights are on, and the lights you want lit up are then run direct from the battery.

If you can hook into the puddle lights circuit this is even better as they don't come on when the interior lights are on (I think).

This is a standard relay diagram - substitute puddle light circuit for ignition and there's your circuit done.

relaywire.jpg

so, if I understand correctly, I could run a wire from the headlight switch to the puddle light circuit (I assume I could wire this directly into the mirror) and there would be no issues? And how would I do it "properly". Sorry for all the questions, I'm not exactly familiar with the electrical system and will have someone else do this, so I want to know exactly what to tell them.

so, if I understand correctly, I could run a wire from the headlight switch to the puddle light circuit (I assume I could wire this directly into the mirror) and there would be no issues? And how would I do it "properly". Sorry for all the questions, I'm not exactly familiar with the electrical system and will have someone else do this, so I want to know exactly what to tell them.

"Properly" is following that diagram. The Pin numbers would be:
86 - connect to power from puddle light circuit (this activates the relay)
85 - ground/earth
30 - connect to battery with 30A fuse holder between battery and relay
87 - connect to fog lights, or headlights, or reverse lights.

The circuit between pin 30 and pin 87 is only connected when the puddle light circuit activates the relay. So if you turn the headlights on, there is no connection to the interior light circuit, unless you happen to turn the lights on with the door open and no key in the ignition.

Back