BFG AT KO vs Toyo Open Country AT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BFG AT KO vs Toyo Open Country AT?

I look at getting new tires for the F-150. It spends 95% of it life on the street but the other 5% is towing the EX and sometimes onto dirt roads. So I'm looking at a 285x70x17 (32.7") I'm running a 245x70x17 (31.4") currently.

Looking and leaning tords the BFG AT KO, because you just can't go rong with the looks and performance.

However I have been looking at the Toyo Open Country A/T's. Little more streetish and $ 160 bucks cheaper for 4

thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out the new Nitto Trail Grapplers. Supposed to be badass tow rig tires. I'm planning on the Toyos unless those Nittos come out
soon and have good reviews.

I love my Toyo ATs on my super duty. I've got between 50-60k on them. The rears need replacing due to heavy towing and not rotating them, but the fronts probably have about another 10k left.

When my current MT's die I'll be looking at these as was mentioned above...

TRAILGRAPPLERMT.jpg

I think I'm leaning tord the BFG's. It turns out the $40 cheaper Toyo's were a "C" rated tire:rolleyes: The "D" rated tires are pretty much the same price. as the BFG "D"'. I have "E" rated tires now but I think I'll get a better ride from a "D" without compromising capcity. The Toyo's have a 40k waranty, but I know the BFG's will go to 50 or 60k. Besides the Toyo's look like car tires, and the BFG....Well you know;)

I think I'm leaning tord the BFG's. It turns out the $40 cheaper Toyo's were a "C" rated tire:rolleyes: The "D" rated tires are pretty much the same price. as the BFG "D"'. I have "E" rated tires now but I think I'll get a better ride from a "D" without compromising capcity. The Toyo's have a 40k waranty, but I know the BFG's will go to 50 or 60k. Besides the Toyo's look like car tires, and the BFG....Well you know;)

...You are making me grin...:D

Those Nittos look like they'll be loud for an A/T. They've got pretty big spaces between the lugs.

I'm liking my Hankook A/Ts (which looks similar to the Toyos) so far, but may switch to the BFGs when these wear out.

I'm liking my BFG's a lot better than my old goodyear silent armors its kind of funny how the BFG's are quieter than the tires with kevlar that are suppose to be quiet.

BFG now makes both a D and E rated AT tire in that size.

You could also go with either the Bridgestone Dueler Revo or Michelin LTX AT/2, they are pretty close in price to the BFGs and (reportedly) offer better pavement performance.

Bridgestone also came out with a Dueler Revo 2 (P-rated) tire in that size, it's quite a bit less per tire than the LT's, $164 on tire rack, vs. $220+ for any of the LT's.

I'm usually a fan of BFG but I have 3 friends who run BFG ATs on full size trucks and they have worn out really fast on all 3 trucks, 2 were superduty diesels and 1 was a Dodge with a gas engine, I don't know if it's coincedence or what.

My dad had them before on his SD, and they lasted awhile, however he went to the BFG Commercial AT, and they did't last as long as he thought they would. I think he will go back to the BFG AT as well. Also my F-150 weights about 2000 pounds lighter the his F-250 :eek: I actually have a higher tow rating them him! I'm also use to the way the BFG's ride and handle, as I had them on both Explorers at one time, and my old ranger.

I'm usually a fan of BFG but I have 3 friends who run BFG ATs on full size trucks and they have worn out really fast on all 3 trucks, 2 were superduty diesels and 1 was a Dodge with a gas engine, I don't know if it's coincedence or what.

No it's not coincedence I have a buddy that had them on his dodge cummings and they were gone in 30K miles. After that he lifted it 6" and put 37" cooper dicoverers on it lol

Just to conclude this...I went with the BFG's:D

Pic of them mounted on the truck is in F-150 thread, in the signature;)

...Where did you buy them at???...I've been looking at the KM2's and they are going up in price...

...Where did you buy them at???...I've been looking at the KM2's and they are going up in price...

Ordered them yesterday afternoon from onlinetires.com and picked them up from there place in Ceritios around noon today. Out the door for all 4 tires $856 ($195 x4 +tax) Awsome deal! Everybody else was at leat $25 more a piece. Highly recomended!!!:thumbsup:

...I've been thinking of using tirecrawler.com, they are in Downey...I am not sure if they allow pick up but, I will research both of them for my next set of tires...

...Thanks...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I've been thinking of using tirecrawler.com, they are in Downey...I am not sure if they allow pick up but, I will research both of them for my next set of tires...

...Thanks...:biggthump

Just looked at there website, looks like they may evn be cheaper then onlinetires, but it dosn't look like you can't pick them up:thumbdwn: Being able to pick them up next day and not pay shipping is what sold me onlinetires. But if your not close like us...then that don't count:(

Edit: or maybe not...it depends on what your looking for, check this out. *cheapest not including shipping

35x12.5x15 BFG Mud KM2
Onlinetires = $149.13*
tirecrawler = $155.83
tirerack = $189.00
4WP =N/A

Same tire but in a 37x12.5x17
Onlinetires = $300.00*
tirecrawler = $332.08
tirerack = $325.00
4WP =$332.99

and what I bought

285/70/17 BFG AT