Installing aftermarket GPS in 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket GPS in 2002 Explorer

tylertech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with an OEM Stereo installed right now. I ordered a standard aftermarket double din GPS navigation system, and while trying to install it, I noticed the harnesses didn't fit, so I figured I would have to solder the wires together. I went to Pep Boys, and they highly discouraged me doing this because they said it specific OEM units would only work, and if something went wrong, I wouldn't be able to change back to my old one or even start my car (which I don't see how it's possible).

Does anyone else think it's ok to go on installing this? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with an OEM Stereo installed right now. I ordered a standard aftermarket double din GPS navigation system, and while trying to install it, I noticed the harnesses didn't fit, so I figured I would have to solder the wires together. I went to Pep Boys, and they highly discouraged me doing this because they said it specific OEM units would only work, and if something went wrong, I wouldn't be able to change back to my old one or even start my car (which I don't see how it's possible).

Does anyone else think it's ok to go on installing this? Thanks!

whats the brand name of the unit you bought?

I had a Innovatek double din dvd touchscreen navi unit and I could use a metra harness adapter to hook it up. I would agree with the pep boys, dont solder it there should be a harness to make it work.

that way you can take it out later if you want.

whats the brand name of the unit you bought?

I had a Innovatek double din dvd touchscreen navi unit and I could use a metra harness adapter to hook it up. I would agree with the pep boys, dont solder it there should be a harness to make it work.

that way you can take it out later if you want.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not even sure of the brand name and the harness it came with didn't fit. Are there different types of harnesses that I could go out and by? If not I'm probably going to return this and get one with a custom harness.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not even sure of the brand name and the harness it came with didn't fit. Are there different types of harnesses that I could go out and by? If not I'm probably going to return this and get one with a custom harness.

does it fit the unit itself?

if so you will need one of these. this harness connects to your stock connector. The other wires get connected to the harness that came with the unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701771/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

you can get one of these harneses from crutchfield, ebay, best buy, etc

hope this helps you

Josh

Just an update, I was successfully able to get it working! I got a harness at Best Buy, and stripped the navigation's wires ends and used butt connecters and connected them. I had issues getting the panel on, but it all works great!

Just an update, I was successfully able to get it working! I got a harness at Best Buy, and stripped the navigation's wires ends and used butt connecters and connected them. I had issues getting the panel on, but it all works great!

Sounds good,

Great Job!!!!

Post some pics

Later

Josh

Back