How to: - Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not making a plug here but I have been ordering my LED automotive bulbs from www.ledtronics.com for years. they seem to have a replacement for everything. There a little pricey but quality for sure.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry for the bump but i got a question...

How come in your pictures the negative wires are wrapped around the positive wires? Wont that set off sparks?

Where do you see that? The positive and Negative leads are on opposite sides of the board, then never come in contact with each other, because yes that would cause a short.

Where do you see that? The positive and Negative leads are on opposite sides of the board, then never come in contact with each other, because yes that would cause a short.

It appeared that the negative and positive wires were touching, but it was just an illusion. Ugh im blind lol

ok so i have a question hopefully someone can help me out. i just finished putting blue leds in all the switches and they worked out great took almost no time at all. so i started the front dome light and well it dont work. my wiring seems to be alittle different if i remember correctly there is no colored wires only black. and also how do the lights work with the lamp button?
hope this makes sense
Thanks
Danny

ok so i have a question hopefully someone can help me out. i just finished putting blue leds in all the switches and they worked out great took almost no time at all. so i started the front dome light and well it dont work. my wiring seems to be alittle different if i remember correctly there is no colored wires only black. and also how do the lights work with the lamp button?
hope this makes sense
Thanks
Danny

I'm not quite sure what youre talking about with the lamp button thing, but for your dome lights you might need to test your wires with a meter to see which one is positive and which is negative.

thanks for the reply i guess that i didnt word that to good. but i just pulled out the lights and looks like one of the leds is blown so i think that may be the problem. i had the + and - correct i think, so im gonna just start over. and the lamp button i am refering to is the two buttons that say lamp on either side of the mode button.
Thanks
Danny

If the resistor came undone from the LED the light would be blown. Putting a new LED in it would most definately be a start to fix it. If you want, you can just pull the LED and test it with a 9 volt battery, but make sure you have a resistor on there or it will blow.

ok so i just tested the leds and they work so maybe i did get the + and - wrong gonna try it after work
thanks
Danny
ok so i couldnt wait i just tested it with the + and - on both leads and i get nothing. ahhhh wtf does the key have to be on or something and the fuse looks good what could i be missing

Key might have to be on because of some safety feature. My lights turn off on the inside if I accidently leave them on so it doesnt drain the battery.

thanks again for the reply
so i tried with the key on and still nothing im getting power to the compass and temp display but not lights. does the front dome light come on when you open the doors or is it just the middle dome that comes on with the door open?
thanks
Danny

What year is your explorer? all of mine on my 96 turn on when i open the doors.

Check the fuses

its a 95. all of the fuses look good at least the ones in the dash are there any more somewhere else like some kinda relay? also i had a problem with the door ajar light staying on it was the liftgate sensor so i just unplugged it could that be the problem? the door ajar light dose still work when i open the other doors. thanks again for the help
Danny

I must say does look awesome if i would i deff try seeing if i could get u to make me some bc i have no clue how to do that lol

I must say does look awesome if i would i deff try seeing if i could get u to make me some bc i have no clue how to do that lol

Why not give it a try yourself? It it alot easier than you would think. This is a very good starter project, and all the parts are cheap so if you do mess up its not a big deal.

its a 95. all of the fuses look good at least the ones in the dash are there any more somewhere else like some kinda relay? also i had a problem with the door ajar light staying on it was the liftgate sensor so i just unplugged it could that be the problem? the door ajar light dose still work when i open the other doors. thanks again for the help
Danny

Sorry for my super late reply, but there should be some more fuses under the hood. Those blew for me once and my inside lights wouldnt work but they did after i put a new fuse in

Why not give it a try yourself? It it alot easier than you would think. This is a very good starter project, and all the parts are cheap so if you do mess up its not a big deal.

Agreed. This is a very starter project. I started with this project and the turnout is amazing! You will be very happy with your final work. Trust me, its worth the time and effort.

(Before this, i had no idea what a resistor was lol and now i got myself into a whole variety of LED lighting. Its really amazing what lights to do.)

Sorry for my super late reply, but there should be some more fuses under the hood. Those blew for me once and my inside lights wouldnt work but they did after i put a new fuse in

hey so thanks for the reply as im also abit late in reading this, work has been crazy...i cant seem to find any blown fuses in the dash or under the hood would they be in the same fuse box as the relays?
Thanks again
Danny

hey so thanks for the reply as im also abit late in reading this, work has been crazy...i cant seem to find any blown fuses in the dash or under the hood would they be in the same fuse box as the relays?
Thanks again
Danny

Yeah thats where some of the the fuses are (The ones that I was talking about). But if not, i guess you could just test the regular dome light again to make sure theres not a short in the wiring. Uhm, if not... There must be a problem with your wiring.

If you have a camera, take pictures and I'll try to help some more

hey ok so first thanks for the help..
second i can take pictures what would you need to see?
i've tried everything i think i have a bad wire somewhere? i did all the other led upgrades i.e. windows, locks and heat a/c no problems but im getting pissed at this one... :mad:
thanks again
Danny

hey ok so first thanks for the help..
second i can take pictures what would you need to see?
i've tried everything i think i have a bad wire somewhere? i did all the other led upgrades i.e. windows, locks and heat a/c no problems but im getting pissed at this one... :mad:
thanks again
Danny

oyie... Okay. Test your regular lights again by just touching the wires to make sure that the actual wires arent bad. If your light doesnt light up then you must know its a wiring problem.

Thats all I can think of to do with it... This one is a toughie.... Sorry bro

Back