Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Does this apply for the 2002 model? I have an XLT four door model and I was told by a shop that my fuel filter is under the hood. Is that true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you look for it?

Does this apply for the 2002 model? I have an XLT four door model and I was told by a shop that my fuel filter is under the hood. Is that true?

No 2002 Explorer (non-sport) fuel filters is located under the front passenger's seat on the bottom of the truck in front of the gas tank. You have to remove a heat shield and a rock shield before it is reviled.

A haynes manual has pictures pointing to its specific location.

great help all

thanks for all the input

i love you explorerforum.com

Thanks for this post gents. This filter was a Royal P.I.T.A.! I could not have done it without your help.

Great Thread!! Worked like a charm!!

I love that it's helped so many people.

Awesome post! I'm hoping this will clear up my rough idle too. It's just a fuel filter, why must they make it so complicated? lol

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!! I jsut changed my filter and without this info I most probably would've broke the clips.
Couple of things I did learn:
- you all said to relief the pressure on the system BUT what I have done before AND this time AND it worked...I let the truck sit overnight and just before I started the removal process I opened the gas tank lid...NO over spray just a small leakage form the lines and the filter but nothing a rag couldn't handle
- I reisntall the nuts after removing the filter plastic shield for leverage
- I used a small screw driver to undo the red clips. I inserted the screw driver head on the first available hole...it's hard to explain but, if you are looking at the clip and you see all the small ridges, start at the other end and in between the first lip and the second one, insert the screw driver; push up (not to hard) and the twist counterclockwise and the clip will come open; then bend the tap down; with the screwdriver on one hand use your finger to pull the first tab in (towards the line) and use the screw driver to push it up; then push the other side up till you hear it pop open.
-BEFORE you remove the filter use a sharpie to mark the one of the line (I marked the top one) so you can remember which one goes up.
- DO NOT EVEN WAIST YOUR TIME USING THE PLASTIC TOOL ( I might work great on Mustang fuel rails and lines but not on our X's). I did only cause when I started it was already late and the auto parts was closed but after and hour I gave up and waited till the next day to buy the metal tool (I think it was a 3/8) and 5 minutes after I used it the filter was out!
- bang the old filter out on the vise and use the caps from the new one before you despose of it
- after installation (reverse of all the stuff we know so far) turn the key on and off without starting the engine to pressurize the system and then go for it
- check for leaks
- turn it off and reisntall plastic and metal shields (don't forget to remove the nuts if you used them for leverage like I did)

Thanks all for the good info! it HELPED!! :)
Another thing off the tune up list (good visual inspection to include tires and brakes, wiper blades, ALL fluids/filters, plugs & boots...now to find/replace the PCV valve while I flush the radiator) then I'm done...I'm not doing the O2 sensors unless a few of you HIGHLY recommends it ($110 I don't really have after having to fix the A/C and the rear power window motors) :)
v/r
Manny
good luck w/ your removal (I had over 96k on mine and I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be) :)

This is awesome! Thank you so much for posting it. The guys at work were going to replace my fuel filter for me, but told me they couldn't find it. Ha! Now I know why.
I had to take it to the dealership.

I got this knocked out this morning. What a miserable PITA! Couldn't even find it without your help. The red clip threw me for awhile, but I got it done. The 2006 Explorer had some mild differences, but not enough to matter too much.

This has got to be some kind of FOMOCO plot to make money off us do-it-yerselfers. Thanks again for the detailed instructions. I always demo the filter to see what was in there, and it was fairly dirty even after only 43,000 miles. Do it every 3 years.

i have a 2004 explorer that stalls when i start it sometimes, and if it doesnt stall it almost does, and the rpms fluctuates from extremely low to over 1000 at idle, and when i press the gas pedal, it doesn't engage until i slam it down. quite annoying...i've been told i need a new IAC valve...so i went and bought one from advanced auto parts, well now some guy on here is telling me that 04 explorers don't even have IAC valves... so if they do have IAC valve, where is it located on an 04, if they don't have one, then would a fuel filter fix my problems? i have no idea when the last time the fuel filter was replaced as i bought the car at 68k miles and it started this crap shortley after. i'm not at 89k miles

I just have to say two things. First, this thread has been a ton of help. Second, whoever designed these "quick" disconnect fittings should be kicked in the crotch about 30 times.

Having the shakes on my 04 sport. Changed plugs, wires. Tried taking the fuel filter off two times now, tools will not get it off. One end comes off but the front line will not come off. Any ideas besides replacing the whole line:(

push deeper

and, prepare for the golden shower that you wont like...

(be sure there's no crap in the void space preventing the tool from getting to where it needs to go. It will go, I promise. )

Help!!!

I found there was no How-To on fuel filter replacement on this site so I thought I'd add one. I just got done with it so here it goes:

First off, this was done on my 04 Explorer 4.0l with 29k on it. I've been suffering from the shakes at idle. It seemed to happen after getting gas at Delta Sonic.

Your experience may be different depending on model and year.

Tools:

ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
Ford fuel tool
rags
new filter
safety glasses

Step 1:
Pull fuel pump relay #48 and start truck. Truck may run and stall or not run at all.

Block rear wheels and raise front end. Only the passenger side is really necessary. USE JACK STANDS

Locate filter. It's on the passenger side at the front/top of the fuel tank. It has a plastic cover then an aluminum heat shield over it so you won't see it.

#4 remove heat shield. Held on by 3 13mm bolts
heat shield
th_37096_100_2006_122_834lo.jpg

#5 Remove plastic cover. Held by 2 10mm bolts
Plastic cover
th_37101_100_2007_122_845lo.jpg

Now you can see the filter.
th_37107_100_2008_122_98lo.jpg

Remove the hose connections. The output side has a funky metal clip that needs to be slide towards the filter a bit then pushed up to disengage. Use the Ford tool to remove the output side hose. This goes over the filter tube and slide under the hose connection. You'll have to play with it a bit but the basic idea is to slide the tool under the fuel line connection releasing the internal spring and it'll pop apart. This is not fun since there is little room and you are on your back. The input side of the filter uses a different connector. It has a red plastic clip that needs to be undone. It's similar to the plug wire guides. I used nothing more than my hands. Once open gently push the 2 ends up to release the filter. It's kinda like a upside down U.

You know those black caps that are on the end of your new filter? They're great for capping the old filter while your working on it.

Ford Tool
th_37132_100_2010_122_932lo.jpg

#7 remove filter from bracket
Don't try pulling it out - that sucker is really in there. I used a rubber mallet to tap the filter out.

REMEMBER THIS IS A GAS FILTER - DON'T USE A REGULAR HAMMER!!! Use a block of wood if you have to.

#8 install new filter.
I put a light coating of grease on the new filter to help slide it back in. Should help with removal next time too. Make sure you have the filter in the right direction.

Filter in bracket
th_37137_100_2011_122_133lo.jpg

Reattach fuel lines. No biggie here - just reverse of removal.

Now is a good time for anti-seize on the bolts for next time.

Put the cover and heat shield back on.

Replace relay

Start truck and check for leaks.

Now here's the kicker. The truck ran beautifully! I only let it run long enough to check for leaks but there were no shakes!
Then I did what I always do to feel better about the busted knuckles and hard work I just put in - I poured the contents into a water bottle...

th_37138_100_2012_122_1176lo.jpg

Damn! That's nasty! Remember I've only got 29k on my girl. How many do you have and when was the last filter change?? Go out and do it now!

What do you do if the output line won't come off?

What do you do if the output line won't come off?

Try reading all the above posts. Many others have had trouble with the fuel lines,and they all have removed them .Mostly take your time,and report back when you have it done.

Awsome!!! Great instructions! However it just made me want to have my mechanic do because I live in Iowa and it's freakin cold and snowy here and I'm too lazy to pull out my kerosene heater etc.....perhaps I will use your instructions this fall to do myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I just replaced my filter on a 02 V8. I was pretty smug after studying these posts. Boy, was I wrong. This is a bear! The hardest fitting was the output end that needs the tool. I used the sissor type, so can't judge the smaller plastic ones that others have dismissed. It is 3/8" diameter. Because of a recommendation on this site, I finally angled the front edge of the tool so it would slip under the locking teeth of the connector. I fussed with this for a long time. I was about to give up, but took a dental mirror and contorted to look inside the fitting and realized how the connector was designed. You need to get under the locking teeth to push them up to release. A slight angle on the front face of the tool will help it get under and release the locking mechanism. Hope this helps.
Bob

Back