Help me please! I have knocking after a tune up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me please! I have knocking after a tune up.

TabithaKaye

Reaction score
City, State
Federal way, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I know someone on here has had my problem... well, hopefully. I did a tune up on my 94 explorer, i did the plugs, wires, and fuel filter. then when i started it and tried to drive, it was making a horible knocking. so needless to say now i have replaced the throttle pulley, serp. belt, coil, power stearing pump, cleaned the egr, and idle sensor, checked ohm levels on the wires, checked the gap on the plugs twice. oh and new alternator. thats all i can remembe right now. but the problem happens when i puch on the gas peddle like going up a hill. then it has no power, and there is a loud like metal knocking almost like an empty can being hit with a rock... lol thats the best i can do sorry. any suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 91-94 section. Check the ignition wire routing. You might have mixed up some of the wires.

wires in order

all the wires are in order. it only makes the noise when i am acelerating. and i ran the obd tester, and everything i checked and fixed, and there isnt a check engine light on now. i havent really driven it far enough to turn on though anything else?.

I don't know if this will be applicable, but what plugs did you use? My first tuneup on my '92 I used splitfire platinums, and the engine started pinging like a pig. Put the regular stock plugs back in and it went back to normal.

i was always told to use motorcraft or autolites.

plugs

i put autolites in it. but they werent platinums, so i dont know if that would cause ot or not. and its only when i give it gas. then it sounds like a loud marble in a can.....very loud. and no, i mean NO power.
and all the fluid levels are good

Sounds like a crossed wire. Double check on the coil pack and engine. They aren't in teh same order, like where it is on the coil pack isn't where it's at on the engine. At least in my case. Might also want to clean MAF sensor and resetting computer (disconnect battery for about 20 minutes)...

Run it low on gas and use a higher octane, see if knocking goes away.

i have just the regulat autolite plugs

Your truck is most likely pinging, if the wires were crossed you would know it at idle. There are quite a few things that can cause this and unfortunately, these motors are notorious for it.

Does your truck have alot of miles? Do you run it on the freeway or just in town, stop and go?

Put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner though it following the mixing instructions on the bottle, then try running premium fuel or an octane booster though it. If you run premium fuel, most likely the noise will go away. If it does then its a pinging problem.

Be careful, severe pre-ignition (pinging) can lead to an engine overhaul in the future. Basically the sound you are hearing is the piston being forced down by ignition before it reaches TDC on its compression stroke.

Keep us posted

Your truck is most likely pinging, if the wires were crossed you would know it at idle. There are quite a few things that can cause this and unfortunately, these motors are notorious for it.

Does your truck have alot of miles? Do you run it on the freeway or just in town, stop and go?

Put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner though it following the mixing instructions on the bottle, then try running premium fuel or an octane booster though it. If you run premium fuel, most likely the noise will go away. If it does then its a pinging problem.

Be careful, severe pre-ignition (pinging) can lead to an engine overhaul in the future. Basically the sound you are hearing is the piston being forced down by ignition before it reaches TDC on its compression stroke.
my explorer does this when i try to catch up to speefd goin up hill. my compression in the cyl was 120psi before i had the intake manifold lower gasket replaced but still does it goin up hill i was tod the enging has tons of miles maybe but of course the eng and trans is not original
Keep us posted

My knocking under load was caused by bad main bearings or so I was told. It has not made any noise in over a month so it was either warm weather which it was warm the last few days so that can't be it or they were not getting enough oil some how and now are. It's confusing.

I would take it to a local shop and have them look it over, they should do it for free. At least around here they would.

So now i got it down to back firing and no power... with some more backfireing. I cleaneg the egr and ta few other things, then i started it and it backfires, andnow it has even less power..... this is getting depressing...

it has a little over 200k, so i would have to say yes. lol but it doesnt do it when i take the belt off. and if you are looking at the pullys when it makes the noise, the tensioner pully moves with the sound. and i just replaced that along with the belt, power steering pump, oh and last night i did the o rings on mt fuel pressure regulator, and blew it out with my air hose.

My vote is Firing Order, don't see what else it could be.
Tell us what engine you have and what firing order you used and we will tell you if its correct.

1994 Ford Explorer 4WD
4.0 liter SOHC V-6 VIN "X"
92722991.gif

Bob

An audio or video clip of the noise would be helpful

uh-ohh..... doesn't look good....

so i went to check my plugs, and guess what.... oil on my #1 plug, and the 2nd one covered in soot. so lets try and find something besides my piston rings that could cause that, i'm crossing my fingers for anything that doesnt require my engine to be torn apart.

Check the lower intake bolts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had oil on my number 4cyl. but my motor almost shot. runs good but could be better i got 120 psi comnpression in my cyls. basicly ill run it till it dies hopefully it will take me to wa when i move from ca. infact this will be its 4th trip from ca to wa. good luck.

Back