• Register Today It's free!

104 pin PCM Pin layout

philorourke

Reaction score
City, State
St. austell, Cornwall, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0L V6
Got a problem on the gearbox in '97 4.0L V6. o/d light flashing, code read using scanner gave code P01746. PCM has been checked as okay as has the gearbox (which has been rebuilt then re-checked to disount as problem). Reckon I've got a wire broken between PCM and gearbox.

Can anybody provide me with a pin layout of this PCM? That way I can check for continuity etc. without stabbing in the dark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P1746 Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid - Open circuit

more than likely your right - a broken/cut wire. Just check down your whole harness. Also, I would get a pin out from someone over there with you, cause the computer layouts may be different than over here.

-Drew

Thank you Drew - I wqs afraid you might say that, course you know how thick the loom is that runs from the PCM and where it goes :-( nightmare of a job to check the whole thing from PCM to gearbox.
Is there anybody reading this that lives in the UK that could provide me with a pin layout? F77F .... BGB or TZP1

Welcome to this forum! Check the plugs on the wiring harness going to the transmission. It might be possible that there is a bad connection from a dirt build up, or from corrosion. WWW.AutoZone.Com has wiring diagrams on their website. You could also download a Ford CD from WWW.FordCDs.Com.

This is for SOHC engine. If you have OHV, let me know and I will post that one also.

Attachments

• pcm1.jpg
    pcm1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 94,839
  • pcm2.jpg
    pcm2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 32,007
  • pcm3.jpg
    pcm3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 33,031
  • pcm4.jpg
    pcm4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 27,638

You guys are amazing!! I've been trawling sites under every possible Ford and/or Explorer search for days - and there's the answer in no time at all. Glad I joined the forum - thanks very much indeed :)))

does anyone have a diadram like that for a 91 explorer shift module???

60-pin

dogfriend: would you happen to have a pin diagram for the 60-pin ECM/PCM? Having trouble finding one, would really appreciate it! 93 Ex EB.
Thanks

Here is the 4.0 OHV Pinout for a 2000 model year

Attachments

• ScreenShot084.JPG
    ScreenShot084.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 29,516
  • ScreenShot085.JPG
    ScreenShot085.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 23,651

Here is the pinout for a 1996 4.0 OHV

Between this and the 2000, you should be good, I dont think there was many changes besides the 96-97 and 98-01

Attachments

• ScreenShot022.JPG
    ScreenShot022.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 25,362
  • ScreenShot021.JPG
    ScreenShot021.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 24,265
  • ScreenShot020.JPG
    ScreenShot020.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 59,593

dogfriend: would you happen to have a pin diagram for the 60-pin ECM/PCM? Having trouble finding one, would really appreciate it! 93 Ex EB.
Thanks

Sorry I only have the manuals for 97 (Explorer) and 99 (GF's motorhome).

Holy crap. Ask and thou shall receive! The one that BrooklynBay posted was closet to mine. I was looking for the oxygen sensor wire's at the PCM. Turns out that mine are #29 and #39 pin. Same color wire as BrooklynBay diagram. Saved allot of time, thanks for the help guys.

1996 5.0 PCM pinout

Attachments

• ScreenShot023.JPG
    ScreenShot023.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 63,681
  • ScreenShot024.JPG
    ScreenShot024.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 23,307
  • ScreenShot025.JPG
    ScreenShot025.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 23,645
  • ScreenShot026.JPG
    ScreenShot026.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 24,216

Thank you!

Hey INH, Thanks for posting those pinouts.

I'm using the one for the 2000 model year, 4.0 L, OHV. My explorer is actually a 1999. What do you think.

I used to work at a ford dealer, god sometimes i wish i still did... I used to post stuff like this over at thedieselstop.com myself...

I'm a pretty good troubleshooter, Just cant afford alldata or ford online access right now, for the right info.

Again, Thanks much for posting those.

Does anyone have a copy of the 97 or 98 SOHC PCM pinout? I'm trying to find out what pin controlled the variable induction system (variable length intake runner).

The one I posted above (the first one in this thread) is 97 SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 PCM diagram

The one I posted above (the first one in this thread) is 97 SOHC.

Thanks dogfriend. That one doesn't show the pin for the connection to the vacuum solenoid that actuates the variable length intake runners. I found a 1997 SOHC engine wiring diagram on AutoZone that shows pin 46 going to an "Inlet Air Control Valve" in addition to pin 83 that goes to an "IAC Valve". Pin 46 on your diagram is listed as not used. I guess I'll connect a voltmeter to the brown wire going to Pin 46 (if I have one on my 2000) and see if the voltage changes when engine speed is less than 3,000 rpm vs greater than 3,600 rpm. That way I'll know if my PCM software still contains the variable induction capability.

Back