33's No Body Lift (Illegal In Maine) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33's No Body Lift (Illegal In Maine)

wantedexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Jay, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer V8
EDIT GO TO PAGE 3, FOR PICTURES AND UPDATES.

What I have:
Been awhile Since Ive been on the site I havent owned and Explorer in 2 years. I just picked up another one tho. And its my first 2nd Gen.A 96 XLT V8 AWD. fully loaded and In Exc. shape with 215k on it for $500.

What I know:
I know everyone says a 2" tt and War153's along with a 2-3" BL and 33's.

PROBLEM:
Well up here in this lovely state of Maine we have a problem. Every year we have a vehicle inspection we have to go threw to be able to drive them. (Rust issues,bj's,tie rods,brake lines, blah blah blah... )
The problem I have with a BL is in Maine there illegal to run on any vehicle with ABS. And we are not allowed to remove the ABS system if originaly equiped with so. And Im not paying $1500+ for a 4" suspension Lift.

So my question is:
Can I fit 33's with a 2" tt/shackle, and some minor trimming. ( Aftermarket rims 8" Wide 3.75 BS OR do you suggest different BS?) Ive searched and have seen 33's on a stock explorer with some trimming that wasnt to overly done.

If I cant Ill run 32's But Ide rather run a 33 since there like $5 more per tire then a 32.

REQUEST
Does anyone have pictures of 2"s and 33's? And Pictures of how much trimming they have done?

Thanks everyone
Al

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

IM GOING TO UPDATE THIS THREAD ON THE FIRST PAGE AS WELL FOR READERS/NEW COMERS

This is with a 2.5 TT, a 2" AAL thats sagged down to 1.5 ( and I was planing on that sag ) And a WAR153 shackle lift.
These are 33x12.5x15's on AR Rims. NO RUBBING AT ALL ANYWHERE and there was NO cutting or trimming.. Its all in your Rim Back kspacing kids! 3.75 will just not work if you want to run this set up contrary to the tire size thread 3.75BS Is NOT what you need or always have to use. On to pictures.

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0321.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

SO UPDATE 33's CAN AND WILL FIT with NO CUTTING with a tt. war153 and AAL.

I have had no problems wheeling it like this either And I go off road every other weekend. The only damage I did was break the transfer case. Thats not because of lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a friend of mine just put 33 inch swampers on his second gen with a 3 inch TT. they rub like crazy but it works

Technically even lift blocks or shackles are illegal in Maine

Technically even lift blocks or shackles are illegal in Maine

Body Lift blocks are much more noticable as well.

lift blocks for the leaf springs have to be under 5"s. Shackles are legal if they have the center cross bar.
BL's are illegal because there affraid of the extension of brake lines coming off from the ABS System. Gas filler neck and wireing systems not being OEM or extended at all in some cases.

Suspension is Legal and must be MADE for your vehicle by a company. Not home made in your garage. Because NORMALLY they have been tested and come with the needed hardware and accesories one would need.
Also the hight of or suspension lift matters because our frame hight allowance goes off from the vehciles weight. Ill post the *allowance's* in a momment Ill grab them off the maineDOT site.

_________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/Statutes/29-A/title29-Ach17sec0.html

and

§1920. Vehicle frame height
1. Minimum and maximum frame end heights. A motor vehicle may not be operated on a public way or receive a certificate of inspection with a frame end height of less than 10 inches or with the frame end height lower than the vehicle was originally manufactured if originally manufactured to be less than 10 inches. A motor vehicle may not be operated on a public way or receive a certificate of inspection with a maximum frame end height based on the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating that is greater than:
A. [2005, c. 276, §2 (RP).]
B. For a vehicle of 4,500 pounds and less, 24 inches in the front and 26 inches in the rear; [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]
C. For a vehicle of 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds, 27 inches in the front and 29 inches in the rear; and [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]
D. For a vehicle of 7,501 pounds to 10,000 pounds, 28 inches in the front and 30 inches in the rear. [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]
Measurements must be taken from a level surface to the bottom of the frame end. For the purposes of this subsection, "frame end" means the point at which the frame rail terminates at the bumper assembly.
[ 2005, c. 276, §2 (AMD) .]
2. Modifications. A vehicle may not be modified to cause, under normal operation, the vehicle body or chassis to come into contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body. The suspension and tire sizes of a vehicle may be modified pursuant to this chapter and rules established by the Chief of the State Police.
3. Suspension. Except as provided in this subsection or in subsection 2, an original suspension system may not be disconnected. This section does not prohibit the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs, or prohibit a person from operating on a public way a motor vehicle with normal wear of the suspension system if normal wear does not affect control of the vehicle.
SECTION HISTORY
1993, c. 683, §A2 (NEW). 1993, c. 683, §B5 (AFF). 2003, c. 144, §1 (AMD). 2005, c. 276, §2 (AMD).

And
Chapter 1 Section 170 page 7

B. Fenders and Bumper protection systems
(1) Reject vehicle if, on a vehicle originally equipped with
bumpers, any bumpers are missing or are not securely
attached. (2) Reject vehicle if any modification to, or
replacement of the vehicle’s originally equipped bumper
protection system is not of the same apparent strength or
results in less protection. A bumper protection system may
consist of structural and/or cosmetic components (sheet metal
or other material) designed to limit damage in a frontal or
rear impact.
(3) Reject vehicle if the front or rear fenders have been removed.
(4) Reject vehicle if the fender does not cover the tire tread.
(5) Reject vehicle if any required lighting device has been
removed due to the replacement of a fender. Reinstallation
or replacement of such device(s) must occur.

50 Views. What Do other people think? Opinons? Could I fit them with out hacking to much? 31's do fit on this one stock with out a problem.

Very curious as well... You'd have to do some CRAZY trimming if its even possible.

i am running 33 aal shakes and t keys with little trim on the front bumper with know rubbing

Attachments

• downsized_1202091236.jpg
    downsized_1202091236.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6,662
  • downsized_0705091756a.jpg
    downsized_0705091756a.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 4,372

JD thats a sweet EX, but sports already have larger wheels

I can't imagine it working, but it's different for every truck. I had to do sheet metal trimming with TT, shackles, and a 3 inch BL.

Best advice: Move to a state that isn't stupid about stuff like that. Come to the midwest where no one gives a ##### what you do to your vehicle. Also gun laws aren't retarded either. :)
Seriously though, if shackles are illegal then get some lift leaf packs made, and do a TT. You can fit anything with enough trimming. :D

You should be fine if you use 33x10.5 with light trimming. I have a 1st gen, but I'm running 34x10.5 with a 2 inch lift and a little trimming up front; and I only rub on the RA's at full lock (not enough to hear or notice, but it rubbed the paint off of one small patch after a few months). And I wouldn't be rubbing there if I weren't using stock wheels.

According to Rough Country.. You can't even go up more than 2 tire sizes.

http://www.roughcountry.com/lift_laws.html#ME

Your rite. However. We dont get pulled over for larger tires. But at the inspection place we would fail. Also we have to have a factory certificate saying we reset/recalibrated are computers to the new tire size for ABS to function properly and Speedo correction.

But thats why You keep the stock rims and tires sitting in the shed.. For inspection time.

I was also thinking 33x10.5 but May be a 33x12.5 if I cant find a decent used set. Some trimming (1-2"s) Doesnt bother me. I just dont want the thing to be hacked up.

What exactly does "two tire sizes" mean? That's a pretty vague statement. There are so many sizes that moving two up could get you a tire thats a 1/2" taller but way wider... that seems like a really stupid restriction. Yay for the goverment...and their ignorance... and the stick they have rammed squarely up their backside.

What exactly does "two tire sizes" mean? That's a pretty vague statement. There are so many sizes that moving two up could get you a tire thats a 1/2" taller but way wider... that seems like a really stupid restriction. Yay for the goverment...and their ignorance... and the stick they have rammed squarely up their backside.

Its 2 sizes from the stock size tire that came on your vehicle. For me a 235-75-15

I belive its 2 sizes either way. up and side.

So going by there statement Im really only suppose to be rideing on a 30x9.5 AFTER calibration..

Im going to do the TT AAl And Shackle ( my rear springs sag about 3/4" in the rear and the aal from summit will bring me back up there) Plus the shackle and Ill be about 2.5 in the rear.2" in the front. atleast 32x11.5's will go on And I know a freind I could test fit them. If they fit, I think a 33x10.5 would go on with trimming.

Im just seeing if anyone has done it on a 2nd Gen. AND if they have pictures of there trimming. And just the over all rig.

33/12.5 on 15/8/4 rim it can be done

Attachments

• downsized_0102001339a.jpg
    downsized_0102001339a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 4,655
  • downsized_0102001339.jpg
    downsized_0102001339.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,020

33/12.5 on 15/8/4 rim it can be done

Looks really good :thumbsup:

Can I ask you a big favor? Could you messure to the BOTTOM of your rocker panel? from the ground. And let me know how high up it is?:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17.5 front 18 rear i hope that helps

Back