• Register Today It's free!

'02 XLT 4WD problems, need help!

plm454

Reaction score
City, State
Hagerstown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 V8>>>4x4 won't engage...dash light blinks 4x4alow and 4x4 high simultaneously ramdomly. No 4x4 in any mode when buttons are pushed. The front wheel bearing hubs have been making noise and I had them both replaced today (there was no change to the 4WD issue). The 4wd worked fine up 'til 3 mths ago when I had brake pads and rotors replaced on the front (probably just a coincidence). A couple of weeks later, I noticed that the 4wd lights would blink ramdomly while driving. In the snow the other day, the front wheels would not engage in any mode attempted.
HELP!!!
Thanks in advance for all replies.

BTW, where could I locate a 4x4 shift motor for the 02 Explorer? I have heard today that might be the issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may be referring to the shift module which is located behind the glove box or passenger kick panel. Have you checked to make sure your fuses are not blown? Check under the hood and look at the #17 and #18 fuses.

I was referring to the 4x4 shift motor located on the transfer case as I heard that these were problematic. I heard the same thing about the module.

1st thing in the morning, I will check #5 fuse interior panel and also the 17 and 18 in the panel under the hood. Will keep you posted.

correct me if I'm wrong, if i can hear clicking from the module when I press the
4x4 high or 4x4 auto buttons, that meand the module is OK?
Thanks,
Pete

Well it's been a few years since I had mine replaced, but when the module was bad, I think I did hear some clicking? Try putting it into neutral and going to 4-low? Guess I never heard of the motors being problematic, but more so the modules.

If anything, you may be able to swing by the dealship and see if you can try a module before you buy it? If it works, then there you go. If not, then no money wasted and we have some more work on our hands:D

Well, hubs are replaced, tires are relatively new (6 mths and not a daily driver), tire pressure checked and problem still persists. Looked at the fuses to 4x4 module under hood and under driver's side panel, all OK, still replaced them.
So, next to try will be probably the module behind the glovebox and then if needed the 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case.
FWIW, when I press any of the buttons, there is NO clicking sound coming from the module as far as I can tell.

Info on my module:
2C54-7H473BD
Motorola model 2mU152NC04
Date code: 02119
Serial 4X4Cm
PP-MD20

we have the same problem. did u find out the problem with urs

suehoney218,
Well, I finally fixed the issue. It was the control module behind the glove box. Plugged in a new one I found on Ebay for $42 for the 2002-2005 Explorer and it was all it took.
Also make sure that your front tires are at 30psi and rear at 35psi as per the sticker on the door frame. Good luck with yours, but I'm guessing it's the same.

plm454 -- who did you get your module from on ebay? Looking to have to put in ANOTHER one in my ex.

plm454, I think I need a new 4x4CM as well. I checked out the link you posted for the modules on ebay. It says that if you have number: 1L24-7H473 the the module won't work. My number is 1L24-7H473-AD. I'm thinking that for $43 I'm gonna go for it. Wish me luck!!!

That was exactly what I did and happened to luck out as it worked with my XLT. Definately worth a chamce at the price. Good luck!

Just ordered from ebay. As soon I get it installed I will let you know how I make out.

Our numbers are 2c54-7h473-bd
date code is 02140
pp md20

suehoney218, according to the seller on ebay this module might not work in my explorer. Looking at your number, I guess it will work in yours. If it doesn't work in mine, maybe you would like it at a discount over the ebay price. Just a thought. If it doesn't work in mine due to incompatibility issues then I have no use for it. Let me know what you think.

That was exactly what I did and happened to luck out as it worked with my XLT. Definately worth a chamce at the price. Good luck!

plm454, just wondering, what was the number on your factory 4x4CM? Mine is 1L24-7H473-AD. I have a number I think won't work with the ebay module (see earlier post). I got my ebay module today. Gonna install it tomorrow. I hope this mother works. 3" coming tonight!

plm454, just wondering, what was the number on your factory 4x4CM? Mine is 1L24-7H473-AD. I have a number I think won't work with the ebay module (see earlier post). I got my ebay module today. Gonna install it tomorrow. I hope this mother works. 3" coming tonight!

BigRondo,
Here's the info on my old module:
2C54-7H473BD
Motorola model 2mU152NC04
Date code: 02119
Serial 4X4Cm
PP-MD20

Here's the info on my module:
1L24-7H473-AD
Motorola Model: 01MU152B02
Date Code: 01032
Serial #: 21026878

Here's the info on the module I received from ebay.
2C54-7H417-CA
Motorola Model: 2MU231VC05
Date Code: 01355
Serial #: 21689323

Do you think I will do any harm by trying this in my ex?

Here's the info on my module:
1L24-7H473-AD
Motorola Model: 01MU152B02
Date Code: 01032
Serial #: 21026878

Here's the info on the module I received from ebay.
2C54-7H417-CA
Motorola Model: 2MU231VC05
Date Code: 01355
Serial #: 21689323

Do you think I will do any harm by trying this in my ex?

From what I have heard/read, it shouldn't have any adverse effect on your vehicle. Scenarios that I heard might happen:
1) works like mine did right off the bat
2)Will only get you 4x4 auto and 4x4 high...no 4x4 low
3) No work at all.

My .02 cents is that it is worth a try!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna go for it. I will post my results. Snowing right now. Can't go anywhere in 2wd. I need it fixed.

Back