4x4 does not work | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

aatomicdawg36 could you please post the exact procedure you used when installing the new module? I don't want to fry anything installing mine. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aatomicdawg36 could you please post the exact procedure you used when installing the new module? I don't want to fry anything installing mine. Thanks.

To be honest, here's all I did. I opened the glove box, pinched in the sides so it'll drop all the way down. Then, I unscrewed the first "gold" colored bolt closest to you, then the black one. After you do that, that silver colored bracket swings out and you can get to the 3rd bolt, another gold colored one, in the back. After that, you have to really kind of "pinch" or press the little "tab" and then jiggle the 2 electrical connector "boxes" until they come out. On mine, one box was grey and one was black. After those came out, I just connected the new one, and put the 3 bolts back in, but make sure you do it in the SAME REVERSE ORDER, because it's hard to get the BLACK bolt in, if you've already put in that gold colored bolt, the one that's closest to you, if you put that in first. I didn't unhook the battery terminals, because I figured that's what got me in trouble in the first place !! lol.

I put the key in the ignition, tried out all the 4x4 buttons, heard the clicking and clunking, and did several test drives 4x4hi, 4x4lo, frwd, rev, on a straight road, and all seemed to be well. Good luck !

Thanks! I will be ordering mine Monday and going for it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks. I looked and looked and couldn't find the reset procedure in the book. However mine is still working - knock on wood. I went back to the dealer and they refunded my money for the module. I don't know now if I should order one on line or wait awhile and see what happens. By the way. I notice that they say to disconnect the negative wire from the battery when replacing the module. Does it hurt if you disconnect the positive or both cables? Does something bad happen if you disconnect anything but the negative?

I would wait awhile, I mean, like I said, I really don't know how or why mine worked for 1 day, and then crapped out again. Like some others who have posted here, it's only a circuit board, and you'd think it would either work or not, ever, period. But then again, remember when your dad smacked the old B/W tv set a few times and the picture would come in PERFECT ??? Go figure. Some things never change I guess.

I don't know about whether disconnecting the negative terminals helps, hurts, or no change. I replaced mine (4x4CM) and I didn't disconnect anything. I figured that's what got me here in the first place. Maybe someone else knows. I kind of figure it's got to be like any other appliance. It's probably BEST to disconnect any appliance from the power source before messing around with it, but if you are just replacing one "light bulb" for another one, either way, when you reconnect the battery, the power is going to flow thru the appliance anyway as if you never disconnected in the first place, so..... good luck, either way!

Nothing works at all. Totally dead. It's getting power to the switch so I replaced it but still no change. My mechanic connected a scanner & it sensed each position the switch was in (Auto, High, Low) but no reaction at all when pressed. It gave a code P0735, but this relates to incorrect 5th gear ratio. It's a automatic transmission & has no 5th gear.

it has a 5r55e 5 speed auto trans

aatomicdawg36, mine doesn't work at all. Major snow today. 4x4 low lights up and everything but only rear wheels engage. I ordered the module. I hope it works but I have a feeling that i have the wrong factory number. Should have it by Friday. I will let you know.

aatomicdawg36, mine doesn't work at all. Major snow today. 4x4 low lights up and everything but only rear wheels engage. I ordered the module. I hope it works but I have a feeling that i have the wrong factory number. Should have it by Friday. I will let you know.

You said you may have the Wrong Factory number???

You need to remove the old module, or at least take it out far enough so you can copy the part number to give to the Parts Supplier. It should be something like 1L24-7H473-AG. Something like that. Give that to them and they will send you the right part number. You will also need to give them your VIN. Good luck. We've gotten about 2 feet already. Knock on wood, I'm doing ok with the 4x4 engaging. Good luck.

You said you may have the Wrong Factory number???

You need to remove the old module, or at least take it out far enough so you can copy the part number to give to the Parts Supplier. It should be something like 1L24-7H473-AG. Something like that. Give that to them and they will send you the right part number. You will also need to give them your VIN. Good luck. We've gotten about 2 feet already. Knock on wood, I'm doing ok with the 4x4 engaging. Good luck.

My part number is 1L24-7H473-AD. The modules are being sold on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...340102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_888wt_1165. According to the seller, his module is not a replacement for mine. I am posting to another thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270006. I got confused. I ordered and received the module from ebay. For $43 I figured it was worth a shot. The number on the module is: 2C54-7H417-CA. do you think I will do any harm by trying this in my ex?

My part number is 1L24-7H473-AD. The modules are being sold on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...340102&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_888wt_1165. According to the seller, his module is not a replacement for mine. I am posting to another thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270006. I got confused. I ordered and received the module from ebay. For $43 I figured it was worth a shot. The number on the module is: 2C54-7H417-CA. do you think I will do any harm by trying this in my ex?

I don't know that it will HURT, but apparently, I clicked on the link you sent for thay ebay seller, and if you scroll down, he said point blank, "FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR, IF YOUR MODULE HAS PART# 1L24-7H473 ON IT, MINE WONT WORK ON YOUR EXPLORER".

I think that is because some 2002 EXP were built with TRACTION CONTROL???
You may have just burned $43. I don't know.

I thought I would give it a shot. $43 vs $200.

OK, installed the module. Here are the results:
Radio has power all the time.
Dome lights stay on all the time.
4X4 Low LED on switch stays on.
Brake lights are out.
Can't shift from park even with foot on break.

Guess I have to Call Silver State Ford Parts or Rock Auto and get the correct one.

Gonna put the old one back in. Hopefully I haven't done any real damage. I will post results as soon as I get the old one back in.

Put old one back in. Everything seems to be back except brake lights are out and I can't shift from park. I suspect that is due to brake lights being out. Going searching for the fuse for the brake lights. The plot thickens................

So can i replace the module myself w/ out having to take it to the dealer or does it have to be reprogrammed?

Put old one back in. Everything seems to be back except brake lights are out and I can't shift from park. I suspect that is due to brake lights being out. Going searching for the fuse for the brake lights. The plot thickens................

It was the fuse for the brake switch. Got it replaced. Called Rock Auto they said they don't carry the part. I found the part listed on their site. Called them to make sure I was ordering the correct part. I think she didn't know what she was talking about. I will call Silver State Ford Parts Monday and order the part from them.

So can i replace the module myself w/ out having to take it to the dealer or does it have to be reprogrammed?

rebelfoxrider, as you can tell by my previous posts, I have had no luck so far with the modules. A lot of the others have replaced them themselves and they have worked fine. Just make sure you have the correct replacement part. I found out the hard way about that.

It was the fuse for the brake switch. Got it replaced. Called Rock Auto they said they don't carry the part. I found the part listed on their site. Called them to make sure I was ordering the correct part. I think she didn't know what she was talking about. I will call Silver State Ford Parts Monday and order the part from them.

Ordered the Module from Silver State via internet. I emailed them and they emailed me the correct part number. I hope this works!

Got the module today and installed it. Pretty much no change. Still no 4WD. Same symptoms as before. The only thing I noticed is now the 4X4 High on the dash flashes 10 times when I start the engine. I checked the Auto/High/Low switch and it is connected. I don't what to do next. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

I'm having the same trouble with a used module from a scrapyard Rondo, dont really wanna blow 200 bucks for a new one to have the same issue...hopefully someone can help us both.

A little more info on my situation. 02 XLT Explorer. 4.0 Auto 4wd. No lights on the selector for the 4x4. No burnt fuses, replace the 4x4CM with one from a scrap yard out of another 02 XLT. Snaps the brake fuse (#23) and cant shift out of park until that fuse is replaced, as soon as you touch the brake it snaps the fuse again. However, with the ScrapYard CM in it, I get my 4x4 Low light on, but the truck thinks the key is in the ignition all the time (chime goes with doors open key in or out.) And the fuse issue. Put the old CM back in and still no 4x4 but no snapped fuse and no lights on the switches again... Just ordered a new CM from local Ford dealer for a little more than the Vegas site, no biggie...but Im hoping that when I put it in I dont get the fuse issue again, or complete 4x4 failure with a new module. We've already put a new TC shift motor in it thinking that was the problem orginally because they've been known to go, especially locally with snow and road salt. Corrosion gets the best of them. But anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...untill then Im stuck with a 2x4 Xploder till I get the new CM to try... totally lost....

A little more info on my situation. 02 XLT Explorer. 4.0 Auto 4wd. No lights on the selector for the 4x4. No burnt fuses, replace the 4x4CM with one from a scrap yard out of another 02 XLT. Snaps the brake fuse (#23) and cant shift out of park until that fuse is replaced, as soon as you touch the brake it snaps the fuse again. However, with the ScrapYard CM in it, I get my 4x4 Low light on, but the truck thinks the key is in the ignition all the time (chime goes with doors open key in or out.) And the fuse issue. Put the old CM back in and still no 4x4 but no snapped fuse and no lights on the switches again... Just ordered a new CM from local Ford dealer for a little more than the Vegas site, no biggie...but Im hoping that when I put it in I dont get the fuse issue again, or complete 4x4 failure with a new module. We've already put a new TC shift motor in it thinking that was the problem orginally because they've been known to go, especially locally with snow and road salt. Corrosion gets the best of them. But anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...untill then Im stuck with a 2x4 Xploder till I get the new CM to try... totally lost....

Venom, if you look at my earlier posts you will see that I had the same problem with the brake switch, etc. I put in a module with the wrong part no. What is the number from your original module? Maybe I can help you match up the correct part no. I'm going to try the reset procedure to see if that does anything. I'll let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND BUY A NEW 4x4CM FOR A 2002 EXPL. 4.0L XLT. PLEASE TRY THIS FIRST !

I've had this problem too, thinking I had a BAD 4x4 CM, the one located in the glove box. I would DEFINITELY try the "BATTERY RESET" FIRST!! Clearly because I tried it and IT WORKED !! Here was my problem, obviously, no 4x4, on one of the worst snow days, tried engaging 4x4Hi to go up steep hill to my house. NO go. No nothing, no lights blinking, no clicking sounds, nothing. The next day, I tried troubleshooting the problem. I noticed when you first get turn the key, and all the dash lights come on, I had "4x4Lo" light up, but no "4x4Hi" dash light. Therefore, I thought I had a bad 4x4 CM. Was JUST ABOUT to order a new one from SilverState Ford in Nevada, when I decided to check here one more time for a CHEAPER solution. By the way, I also had problems with dead battery, which according to some, if you swap out battery incorrectly, it will "fry" your 4x4CM. That may or may not be true, but apparently if you do this battery reset procedure, it COULD bring your 4x4Hi back to life.

I did the battery reset. Just like others have posted. Remove the POS cable to your battery. Then, put key in ignition and turn. I did it BOTH ways, since I wasn't sure if you should just TURN and STOP just BEFORE you would "start" car, or if you should turn ALL THE WAY, as if you were going to start the car. Anyway, did it BOTH ways. Went back inside to warm up coffee and grab a piece of toast. Went back out after 5 mins, reconnected the POS cable to battery and then went to start car. BE ADVISED. At first, I didn't think it worked because the "4x4Hi" dash light didn't light up, just the "4x4Lo". However, when you actually go all the way and START the vehicle, I actually saw the "4x4Hi" dash light come one, and when I pushed the 4x4Hi button, I heard the clicking and voila, the "4x4Hi" dash light stayed on. So, I "guess" I have 4x4Hi now? LOL. We're supposed to get more snow in the next few days. Will let you know, but I'm pretty sure, from hearing the clicking both inside AND outside the vehicle, the 4x4 was engaging. Good Luck to all !

Did the POS cable removal procedure today with no luck. :(

Back