4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 OHV & SOHC Go Fast Goodies!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

compression ratio

I'm not 100% about the actual type of rod in the ohv but one thing in your favor is the ohv has a 9.1:0 CR where the SOHC has a 9.7:0 CR. The lower CR will resist detonation a little better but it won't make the same power as the SOHC at the same level of boost. (the sohc will be a little more powerful) . . .
EDIT - something doesn't look right in this post. Who can find it?

OHV compression ratio is 9.0:1
SOHC compression ratio is 9.7:1

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok so what does that mean in terms of me deciding to choose which engine to go with? The OHV has less compression ratio, but people are saying the SOHC makes more power. How hard is it to swap the SOHC engine into my '91? Will I have to swap wiring or stuff like that? What years are available for the SOHC that would fit my engine compartment?

Ok so what does that mean in terms of me deciding to choose which engine to go with? The OHV has less compression ratio, but people are saying the SOHC makes more power. How hard is it to swap the SOHC engine into my '91? Will I have to swap wiring or stuff like that? What years are available for the SOHC that would fit my engine compartment?

Yes, you'll have to swap the wiring and the PCM and more.

I'm trying not to tell you what to and just guide you.

Just keep reading. Try finding others results (not words, but honest perfomance results)

I have the SOHC and a turbo. My best time in the 1/4 is 13.4 on street tires. There are videos somewhere in here and on youtube. This can be alot of power for some, and nothing for others.

Look at the Mounty in the first thread of this section and you can see he's a full second faster than me with a built V8 and turbo.

There are many many more powerful explorers and they got that way with alot of work, money, research like you're doing, and a bit of a crazy owner... ;)

I believe BBK use to make a charger kit for your motor.

Lookin stuff up, found out that Vortec no longer makes SC's for the 4.0. I found an M90 Eaton SC off a TBird for sale on ebay. Will this fit? If so, how much boost to go onto a stock engine?

My recommendation will be 8 LBS, a good tune that will pull timing based on the air temp, and around a 11.1 Air to fuel ratio.

If I were in your shoes, I would go turbo. I stated previously that the m90 roots style charger would be easier to install, but that's not true with your set-up because there's not a direct kit that I know of. So you'll be modifying anyhow so why not go turbo? This way you won't be restricted to the amount of boost (the m90 can only spin so fast with a smaller pulley)

Then you have to think about how you'll tune it?

I think I've made my mid up to do a 5.0 swap. The turbo setup takes too much custom fabrication that I won't b able to do on my own. At least with the swap, I can get help from hubby and neighbors to put in the engine and tranny.

My recommendation will be 8 LBS, a good tune that will pull timing based on the air temp, and around a 11.1 Air to fuel ratio.

If I were in your shoes, I would go turbo. I stated previously that the m90 roots style charger would be easier to install, but that's not true with your set-up because there's not a direct kit that I know of. So you'll be modifying anyhow so why not go turbo? This way you won't be restricted to the amount of boost (the m90 can only spin so fast with a smaller pulley)

Then you have to think about how you'll tune it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Now darn it! I am not so sure about the 5.0 swap. I'm still in limbo what I wanna do with my engine.

Goal of mine is throwing a turbo on my 4.0 ohv, it's a '00 with 128,000. What psi can I run stock until I get more parts and how would I go about this? My buddy builds turbos for the chevy v-8s so he'll build it but he knows nothing about the.motor to know it's limitations. Please inform me if you could help

Ah thx. Not much for our stock 4.0l's.....be better to swap in a 5.0l. .. Too bad im not that inclined.

I agree TJ.... I'm not that inclined myself, nor would my wife allow it. But an upgraded V6 I might be able to convince her on.

I'd prob do the 410 cam and upgraded heads/ intake, toss a set of headers on it and be done. Seeing as mine is a 2wd 5 speed I don't NEED a whole lot of power and I kinda NEED my A/C for the southern summers.

To put in a 302 deleting the A/C is easiest to make for more room in the already cramped engine bay. Then I'd have to put in a F150 5 speed trans to bolt up to the 302... Then there's the little crap that'd nickel and dime me to death.

Yeah, its just not worth it. I've thought about just buying the V8 explorer, but I'd still have the same issue I am having now with my 94, and that is an automatic tranny. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

I'd like to do some engine upgrades, I've been told tho that it doesn't make much difference with the 4.0 OHV engine.

Yeah, its just not worth it. I've thought about just buying the V8 explorer, but I'd still have the same issue I am having now with my 94, and that is an automatic tranny. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see what happens.

I'd like to do some engine upgrades, I've been told tho that it doesn't make much difference with the 4.0 OHV engine.

Yeah when I got mine there was a 93 sport auto and the 4 door 5 speed I got, I already have an issue with automatic trans.... doesn't matter what it's in.... it has ALWAYS given me an issue... I attempt to buy 5 speed if I can. Hence why I won't buy anymore NEW cars since the "GENERAL PUBLIC" groans at seeing a stick shift...hell I get excited!!:D

Yeah I know what you mean the OHV isn't a powerhouse, but you could always buy a mustang gt and have all the power you want and keep your X too!

How hard was it for u to change trannies? Did u do any kind of writeup on it?

Ya id love to get another mustang but funds r just not here to do so at least for now.

Ahh ok. I had a factory five speed.....but did the stupid thing and traded it in for a new car that i no longer have.
i might try to sell mine for a five speed if i end up not being able to swap.

Yes
There are many many more powerful explorers and they got that way with alot of work, money, research like you're doing, and a bit of a crazy owner... ;)

How fast you wanna go is followed by how much money ya got?
With enough money anything can be made fast,
There is no cheap way to get a 4000lb SUV with a 200hpV6 or 215hp V8
to go fast, considering most new cars are MUCH faster than a stock explorer you have to spend good money just to keep up with them..
My last two cars were an 11.7 second 1990 Lincoln LSC, a 12.00 sec 2004GTO,
they both weighed 3800lbs, took me over 10k and a couple years to get the Lincoln to run that fast took me under 1500 and one weekend to get the GTO to go that fast
DOnt even wanna know how much money and work Jakee has in his not to mention the fact he has the ability to do it..
:D

Back