How to: - How To: Replacing Rear Axle Wheel Bearings | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Replacing Rear Axle Wheel Bearings

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
wait

Does this aftermarket axle saver sit farther outboard or farther INBOARD?

The picture looks like they put two seals on it, and it would sit farther inboard.

Now how the heck do I put a picture on here. Sheesh, I'm falling apart. Can't even figure out how to put a picture on here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

way too much thinking there buddy! don't give yourself a headache or hernia! :D

the axle saver bearing places the bearing portion outward. It's hard to see in my pictures, but the axles are tapered, so it wouldn't be able to move too far inboard.

is it worth it? Well, that depends. It really depends on the condition of the axle shafts and bearings. If the axle bearings are still fine, chances are the axles won't be worn, and you won't notice a difference.
Now, if the bearings are worn, and there are noticeable grooves in the shafts, it will improve the ride. Although all the axle-saver bearing does, is put a band-aid on the inevitable. Kinda like taping up a half-severed arm; you know it's gonna fall off, the tape just prevents it from happening sooner, rather than later.

as for synthetic... most definitely! Synthetic is the only way to go anymore. Extended replacement intervals, better lubrication, more protection! But I wouldn't say it will "leak less." Generally, synthetics will leak more than conventional if there is already a leak.

regular bearing vs axle-saver:
p113378_image_large.jpg

Ok, what is on the inside of the axle saver bearing? It looks like the seals I am holding in my hand.

Now granted, I put everything back together already as the cold rain has started, but I could have sworn the seal should be on the outside of the bearing.

Maybe I should shut up until I get it all apart again and something goes wrong, I guess. At least I ordered the diff bolt extractor, so I'll have that ready when the pumpkin opens up.

the axle-saver bearings have the seals integrated.

So the axle saver pictured is being held backwards, with the seals facing inwards, rather than how it should be installed--facing outwards.

Which then means the bearing then rides farther inboard.

Soon as I get all this stuff in front of me, all the questions will be answered. From what I can tell, the Timken bearing has a better seal, but does not ride farther outboard on the axle. But since I'm just guessing based on the pictures I see, I could be totally wrong. Maybe someone will let me know before everything arrives.

I haven't a clue. I've never used or installed one.

Great post :thumbsup:
I'm planning to do mine this weekend and since i read this tread i got new bolt, bearing & seal and just in case i need it the axle saver kit from Timken.

The only problem with the axle saver kit is no one in the part store knows what direction to install it and if i need to install new seal with it. Any advise/pics will greatly help.

Great post :thumbsup:
I'm planning to do mine this weekend and since i read this tread i got new bolt, bearing & seal and just in case i need it the axle saver kit from Timken.

The only problem with the axle saver kit is no one in the part store knows what direction to install it and if i need to install new seal with it. Any advise/pics will greatly help.

the seal and bearing are integrated together into one piece. As for which way to install it? It should come with a piece of paper that should explain that; or it may be noticeable once you get it.

the seal and bearing are integrated together into one piece. As for which way to install it? It should come with a piece of paper that should explain that; or it may be noticeable once you get it.
Sounds good, thanks

I notice Auto Zone selling gasket for the rear axle but I know we don’t need it. Did anyone try using the gasket instead of using the gasket maker?

nope, I've always used RTV. I don't trust those cardboard/paper "gaskets"

Do i need to pack the new bearing with grease or just soak them in the gear oil?

no grease.

I did "soak" mine in some gear lube before installation though.

is it necessary? No clue... but I know it certainly won't hurt.

No need to pack just soaks the bearing in the gear oil.

Did mine today not hard just takes time. The bolt has the yellow loctite so you need to tap the bolt several times to break the loctite.

Great thread! New here, I just removed the rear axles on my 93 XLT 4x4 and the drivers side has an additional seal on the inside of the bearing. Has anyone ever seen this?

The passenger side only has one seal on the outside and that's the side that is leaking real bad, worst I've ever seen actually. I doubt I'm the first person to have this apart at 225,000 miles and wonder if someone used the wrong parts.

Thanks,
John

Great thread! New here, I just removed the rear axles on my 93 XLT 4x4 and the drivers side has an additional seal on the inside of the bearing. Has anyone ever seen this?

The passenger side only has one seal on the outside and that's the side that is leaking real bad, worst I've ever seen actually. I doubt I'm the first person to have this apart at 225,000 miles and wonder if someone used the wrong parts.

Thanks,
John

I don't see how you could even get a bearing sandwiched between 2 seals, since the axle tube is slightly tapered so the bearing can only go in so far. Unless the wrong parts were used, of course.

Autozone also stocks this part. Just picked up a set myself.

Timken does... can't think of the part number off my head, but I know I have it in a post somewhere around here.

found it!
Bearing Kit (Repair Bearing/Axle Saver; Replaces OE bearing and seal) - Timken TRP1559TV
Autozone also stocks this part. Just picked a set myself.

The o-ring goes to the inside of the axle tube. This actually moves the bearing to the outward side of the axle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know if anyones mentioned this yet but a great tip for everyone!!!

Go to sears and spend the $5 of a 6point closed end craftsman wrench in the size you need!
Mine started to round out, the 6point saved my 8mm bolt

Back