Something shatterred my valve cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something shatterred my valve cover

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Something shattered my valve cover

Hello all, and thank you for reading...replies and advice would be greatly appreciated. So, it's like this: 1997 XLT, 4.0 SOHC...I start the engine and hear a loud knocking in the engine compartment. Upon external inspection, something has come loose under the valve cover, right bank. The valve cover is shattered but "intact". Has anyone here ever experienced this? I haven't pulled the valve cover yet, but will update when I do. Thanks, Mike.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yikes... First I've heard of this happening.

Definitely post pics when you pull it apart.

Well, no photos yet, but I have started removing hoses and harnesses to access the valve cover. I think I still need to remove the blower/AC condenser to get the valve cover off. I'll post photos as soon as I get the cover off.

Im subscribing to this....

Interesting...

Hello all. Finally getting back to work on my Explorer. I just pulled the blower/AC unit, and was able to get the cracked valve cover off. What I found was a rocker arm had come loose, and was laying under the OHC. I am guessing that a valve stuck open, which allowed the rocker arm to just pop off. Will post some pics when the rain stops. I guess I will get my paws on a valve spring compressor, and put the rocker arm back in, and then see what happens. This vehicle has been sitting for a while, so I am hoping the valve will free up. Hope every one here is doing well.

I'm thinking you have some timing chain issues here...

Check the rear timing chain & guide

Since you already have the cover off I suggest that you examine the rear timing chain and guide for damage. See if it looks like the in the photo below by CDW6212R:
SOHCreartensioner.jpg

Check for the upper part of the guide on either side of the positioning bolt.

I'd bet either a weak valve spring, or the timing chains/guides etc. Hopefully it'll be the spring, that's an easier fix. Over revving an engine is hard on springs, I have a 95 police CV that broke a spring, after having a light rattle first. Good luck,

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies. I'll get some photos posted, but the timing chain looks just like that. I hope it's not the timing chain...

OK, got a couple of photos.
Here is the valve cover, you can see the impact mark where the cam smacked the loose rocker into the valve cover.
0724msp.jpg

And here is the where I found the rocker arm.
0721msp.jpg

I still think the valve is sticking, maybe because the vehicle was unused for a while. Valve spring "looks" OK, same with timing chain. I have yet to find a valve spring compressor, except for the head-off type at Advance.

I bet THAT made for a dead miss...

OK, got a couple of photos.
Here is the valve cover, you can see the impact mark where the cam smacked the loose rocker into the valve cover.
0724msp.jpg

And here is the where I found the rocker arm.
0721msp.jpg

I still think the valve is sticking, maybe because the vehicle was unused for a while. Valve spring "looks" OK, same with timing chain. I have yet to find a valve spring compressor, except for the head-off type at Advance.

Is that rocker arm broken or am I just looking at the wrong end of it? It looks like the cup for the lifter is missing from the end in the picture I can see...

And this is one of the cleanest engines I have seen lately...I pulled the heads off of my OHV and I knew it was full of sludge 16 months ago but what I found yesterday was unreal...I will post the whole ordeal in a few days...

I hope the engine is getting enough oil there, it looks a little hot and dry around the cam. Yes how does the rocker look, is it intact?

I hope the engine is getting enough oil there, it looks a little hot and dry around the cam. Yes how does the rocker look, is it intact?
Good eye Don those lobes look scorched, and the camshaft gets darker further back.

Rear guide assembly

From what I can see in the photo your rear timing chain guide assembly is intact. If it has been more than 75,000 miles since the rear hydraulic tensioner has been replaced then I suggest that you replace it. At the least, I would unscrew the tensioner and make sure it's oil port is clear.

Is that rocker arm broken or am I just looking at the wrong end of it? It looks like the cup for the lifter is missing from the end in the picture I can see...

And this is one of the cleanest engines I have seen lately...I pulled the heads off of my OHV and I knew it was full of sludge 16 months ago but what I found yesterday was unreal...I will post the whole ordeal in a few days...

I thought the same thing, but it is just sitting there backwards...the rocker arm appears to be OK. Does anyone know where to get a valve spring compressor?

PS: Ranger7, it sure did have a miss in it! It had been missing initially upon engine start-up, and then it would smooth out...that's why I think the valve is sticking...Thanks for the replies.

A lot of oil was coming out of the cracks in the valve cover, before I shut the engine down. As for the rocker arm, it looks normal, no unusual wear that I can tell.

This is the correct tool from the service manual. This tool is used to remove and replace the followers, like the one that popped out on you.

valvetool-vi.jpg

You many want to search around for a good price on it. I found this place.
http://fordspecialtools.com/Detail.aspx?id=1044

Bob

Thanks, Bob. That's a good price on the tool. I just hate to buy it to reinstall one follower. If I can't rent one, I'll just have to improvise.

How many do they make like that? I paid $50 for one for my 4.6 SOHC long ago, from Ford. I thought that was a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil starvation in heads

I just read a comment by an SOHC engine remanufacturer that the engine is prone to valve train oil starvation. They replace the stock oil pump with a high volume unit for their rebuilds. I will probably do the same.

Back