Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

Lets see 'em

12287Calico_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is mine.....no lift yet but still goes anywhere :D....

:p: This is the 'Show off your LIFTED 2nd Gen' thread. :p:

Mine is a little more lifted since last time I posted:

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 8,409

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

thanks....

:p: This is the 'Show off your LIFTED 2nd Gen' thread. :p:

Mine is a little more lifted since last time I posted:

Thank you.....ill post lifted pics in a few days.....bl is on the way and iv already started to take the seats out so i was just postin be4's i guess, just me bein anxious and i cant wait!!!:p: and btw......NICE EXPLORER!!!

nobodyspecial, nice looking mounty. Can't really tell in the pic, but what did you run over the front bumper mounting brackets? Is it just a narrow plastic bumper?

here are some older pics of my explorer - basically stock - TT, custom shackles, 31x10.5 BFG TA/KO.

this year it will get a bit more serious... either D44 TTB from 80-96 Bronco and some big coilovers, OR dixon bros kit with some kinda big coilovers... have to do some pro/con lists on the two
P1010017.jpg

P1010019.jpg

l_567df05a2cda2ee7740d0545c3edb1be.jpg

l_2641447a6ead2a70406f6966531d3709.jpg

l_88255fc033779dbfaf714c7b035d1301.jpg

ahhhh, yes! the mounty bumpers are more like the 99+ expo bumpers... :banghead:

didn't think about that... not bad for $1000! I paid almost $7000 for mine back in '04 (probably way too much) and I'm ready to get it out in the desert! hopefully this summer I'll have the Dixon Bros kit and 33's on it

16x8 Black Rock 942s, wrapped in 255/85/16 KM2s (33x10)

Very high quality, great wheels and made in the USA.

thanks glen, its getting there, need more money lol, but don't we all :D

My Exploder

So, I just wanted to say thanks to this forum for all the info. After owning me Ex for a few years, I got bored with it the other day and did a 4" suspension lift, 3 inch Body lift, SOA rear axle and a BW4406 transfer case swapand. So far I'm loving all the changes and the info here, especially the BW4406 swap thread made this all a breeze. I just ordered up gears and and coil overs for the front. Hopefully I can get those torsion bars off in the next few weeks. Oh, and pardon my 15 year old 35x12.50 BFG's (I had them laying around).... I have a set of new KM2 mud terrains on back order, since January.....

explorerpics008.jpg

explorerpics010.jpg

Oh, and low Range and 2WD is REALLY nice. Cant' believe ford didnt do this from the factory!!
explorerpics011.jpg

explorerpics015.jpg

explorerpics005.jpg

Nice looking truck. I like the bl with the suspension lift.

what are the specs on your lift TB?

also, to those that just disconnect one end of the front swaybar for off roading, watch your tie rod ends!!!! Notice my passenger side has a slight angle to it. Nothing bad, but i noticed it when putting the endlink back on. :(

ouch...

TB you should really put some limit straps on if you're disco'ing the control arms, that way you prevent too much stress on your cv's and steering.

I agree, but I think I just over-did it on the last trail we ran. They even warned that I should probably park and ride up with one of the other guys. I figured i'd made it this far, why not go ahead.

The last trail we ran was giant "V" notch that had some crossovers making it twist the body up pretty good. I know I watched the Wrangler on 36's in front of me put the right front in the air about 2-some odd feet then set it back down with the back/left rear wheel following suit.

I know mine came up in the air, maybe less due to a longer wheelbase, but it really gave an uneasy feelin' in the stomach.

I usually know my limits, but I think I just got a tad over confident on some this time because it was nice and dry out so the grip was good.

Looks like the OE bumper(and part of the winch elec. box)took that tree I hit pretty good. One of those situations where you get it over the rocks and don't wanna let up to lose your momentum. ;)

The winch setup does look nice on the truck with the stock bumper.

Ehh, it's a tad more over hang than i'd like, but for my uses it's just fine. I just didn't wanna have NO bumper and I couldn't afford to have some pimpy tube bumper made.

The explorers suspension limits itself pretty well. i never had issues about blowing apart cv's with the stock suspension and cranked torsion bars. and i trailered it to the trails a few times, so i really had no mercy on it. mini spooled rear and open front got me through some nitty gritty. i really think you would be wasting time and effort on limit straps for the stock suspension. i know people have had problems with the 4" suspension lifts, but i dont think i've ever heard of anyone having issues with cranked torsion bars on the stock suspension.

My Frankenstein

Lots of parts from lots of trucks...started w/ 96 explorer sport, put a custom 3" lift and 33" BFG ATs, then came a 5.0L, straight exhaust, spare tire carrier from a bronco II, custom hitch taken (mostly) from an f250, a BW4406 electric shift from a 98 expedition (man was that a *****!), custom drive shafts from a ranger and an expedition, a chrome grill from a 4dr explorer, and le pièce de résistance...the Indy Colts plate from my brother's wrecked taurus.

She truly is the bride of frankenstein, viewable here

subscribing :)

Back