Starting problems...please help! Don't wanna have to junk her!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting problems...please help! Don't wanna have to junk her!!!

Own'95EEB

Reaction score
City, State
York County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Eddie Bauer
I've got a problem with my Explorer starting. I've had her for about a year now, and the problem started almost as soon as I got her. I have had to turn the key quite a few times to hear the fuel pump "whirr" so that I can start it. Got pissed off with this mode of driving, so I first replaced the fuel pump relay in the distribution box under the hood. That didn't solve the problem, and last week when it got worse (30 tries and still no start!) I took it to a friend's garage and we dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump. That's got to do it, right? Nope! STILL won't start until I've twisted the key 5-6 times; and now the new pump is so quiet that I can't hear it "whirring" back there to know that I CAN start it! I know this problem has to have been extensively discussed here, so has anyone reached any firm conclusions of what the problem is? What else can I do, other than spend $300 getting her diagnosed at a Ford dealership, where even THEN they might not be able to tell me what's wrong? I love my '95 Eddie Bauer, and don't want to have to junk her!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ignition switch?

Hook up a remote starter switch,turn the key on and see if it will start.:D

if it won't turn over it might be the starter salinoid, its on the driver side fender wall in front of the distrubution box.

I have wondered if it could be the ignition switch. It seems kind of loose, and sometimes I can't twist it back to the "accessories" position (it just wont budge!); but my mechanic friend told me that's because the link rod in the steering column might be bad, and wouldn't have anything to do with her not starting. After all the times I've tried to crank her, I don't think the starter is the problem, and I can hear the solenoid clicking when I turn the key. Apart from dropping the tank again (NOT a fun job, I assure you!), is there a way to check for possible bad connection to the fuel pump? Any thoughts on whether the injectors could be causing it? I appreciate any ideas. Thanks for your replies!

Hook up a remote starter switch,turn the key on and see if it will start.:D

How do I do that, and where would I get one? Relative noob here, sorry...:D

do yourself (and the forum) a favor. Do the normal no start checks and report the results as opposed to "guessing" all over the place as to what's happening (ie. might be fuel pump, might be ignition, etc).

does the starter engage and turn the motor over?
does the fuel pump run / is there fuel pressure?
do you have spark? These are the "simple" check for no start... the results (to the questions in order as stated) will help everyone including you out and you will likely get back a working vehicle. AND read a few more of the existing threads on no start that give alot more information.... including how to test for voltage going to the fuel pump ( at the cut off switch and when).

when you turn the ignition switch the fuel pump kicks in ,so obviously the switch controls power to the pump .try replacing the ignition switch .

another threat to junk an ex over what seems to be a minor problem? well dont sell it to a scrapyard, im shure someone on here will give you twice what a jy would....

when you turn the ignition switch the fuel pump kicks in ,so obviously the switch controls power to the pump .try replacing the ignition switch .

IF you turn your key to on and the check engine light comes on (and stays on), it ain't an ignition switch issue.

Back