• Register Today It's free!

Take a look at my tint

Big Jay

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V6
I got my windows tinted on Monday. I told the guy to get it close as possible to the factory mirror tint. From afar it looks mismatched, but from angles and up close it looks like it matches. It'll take a while for me to get used to it, but I'd thought I show it to you guys here and get your opinion. Let me know what you think, is it ugly, is it good? Let me know!

1565xqh.jpg

260qxpt.jpg

2r389rd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock tint is solar, so at certain times of the day it will mirror from the sun or overcast. Mine did it more in the overcast condition than that of sun.

Looks good! I have the same issue with my tint, the rear of the vehicle has the factory dipped/mirror tint, i went with 20% in the front.

pics here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271456

I'm glad to see the picture of your Explorer because, I've been looking at tints on other vehicles, like damn why does mine look all mismatched! lol

But, I'll get used to it eventually and I'll be able to tell people IT IS matched when they try to tell me otherwise.

I'm glad to see the picture of your Explorer because, I've been looking at tints on other vehicles, like damn why does mine look all mismatched! lol

But, I'll get used to it eventually and I'll be able to tell people IT IS matched when they try to tell me otherwise.

it's also because the stock privacy windows are tinted glass; not a film applied to the glass. So it will look different.

it's also because the stock privacy windows are tinted glass; not a film applied to the glass. So it will look different.

Ok. That's exactly what I figured.

Next up: Get the motor on the driver side window fixed so I won't have to use the "suction cup" to roll it up and down.

it looks good but i never had that problem with my tint... idk if i have a newer year but yea its good

Should have had them put in mirrored tint I did.
0619071630.jpg

Mine doesn't match perfectly either.

IMG_4210.jpg

Should have had them put in mirrored tint I did.
0619071630.jpg

That's what I wanted to do with mine, but the guy at the shop assured me it would match, which it does (percentage wise). It's over and done and I have other things to handle so I'll have to roll with the tint as it is now.

Looks good, in my opinion. Your drivers window has factory privacy glass?

What is the darkest you can go down in GA? I can only go to 50% which really isn't worth it.

I found 35% mirror tint to be the best match for me.

6672010016_large.jpg

If the guy matched percentage and not the outward appearance and considered that matched, that's not too honest on his part, imho... AMMO's and rhyno's Ex's have the closest match, as it has to be mirrored to be the same. There was one Ex in the boneyard up here that had a mirrored goldish-hue tint that that was the closest I've ever seen.

That not being able to match up the reflection is what has kept me from tinting my Ex's, as the difference would drive me crazy, but I'm odd like that. :D

That not being able to match up the reflection is what has kept me from tinting my Ex's, as the difference would drive me crazy, but I'm odd like that. :D

You're not alone :D

Ford aslo changed the color of tint at some point. I think it was '98 when it changed. 95-97 has the bronze color. Then Ford went to a smoke color tint.

You're not alone :D

Ford aslo changed the color of tint at some point. I think it was '98 when it changed. 95-97 has the bronze color. Then Ford went to a smoke color tint.

not too sure on that('98 change). not one window on my 97 had the bronze color, all mine was factory smoke tint. IDK.

not too sure on that('98 change). not one window on my 97 had the bronze color, all mine was factory smoke tint. IDK.

I'm pretty sure he's right. My '97 has the ugly bronze tint. I've never seen a '95-'97 without the bronze tint. They changed the liftgate and bumpers in '98 and the window tint along with it.
Unless maybe you have a really rare one, or one that was made just at the end of '97? When was your X made?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The late '97's had the dark smoke tint, it was a mid-year change...

that was gonna be my guess.
Mine also has the smoke tint, and is a 97.5
same time they changed the intake and heads on the V8's, and presumably changed the front driveshaft from a double-cardan to CV joint.

Back