Want to relocate your gas tank? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to relocate your gas tank?

This seems like a pretty neat mod to make more room on the driver side frame rail for an air tank. Or just an AUX tank for more range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to let folks know. I tried this on my Ex which does NOT have a body lift. The tank hung too low so I cancelled the project.

Just to let folks know. I tried this on my Ex which does NOT have a body lift. The tank hung too low so I cancelled the project.

Which tank did you try Rick? Because the secondary f150 tank is only about 8" deep.

Posted via Mobile Device

I went ahead and ordered one, but I'll be cutting the floor and raising it instead of a body lift.

I want to see about making a custom tank, or having one made. I think there is plenty of room for a 20 gallon gas tank and one of those 2.5 gallon air tanks based on some rough measurements :)

Not to worry. Lots of cars, including Mustangs, have the exhaust running right beside the tank. There's an inch gap between the tank and the pipe. I doubt you'd be able to ignite the gas inside from heat alone anyway if fumes aren't involved. The heat would have to be pretty intense and the tank be pretty near empty for the gas to heat up from a tailpipe. Just my thoughts...
ford_mustang_lxrear_view.jpg

And, the part you see under the 'stang is a plastic (ABS?) rock guard for the tank. The tail pipes are quite close from factory. In an unrelated story I loaned my car to a buddy once and he backed into something and bent the passenger side tailpipe (my excuse for getting new 2 1/2 stainless ones) up against the plastic. This resulted in a melted guard and a melted plastic fuel line which proceeded to spray a fine mist of gasoline at the bottom of my prized possession. Fortunately I happened to notice the leak and disaster was averted...

Hmmm, kind of rambled on there, not sure what all this has to do with the thread now.

Excellent thread too, I had considered doing something like this eventually when the mod monkey really takes over my mind. Your thread is bookmarked in my list.

Update

Thought I'd let everyone know after a year and a half how this mod has been.

I've been offroad on the hottest of days, in traffic, back and forth to work and haven't blown up or rattled the tank loose.

I had my emissions test with no ill effects. I've gained massive room under the frame for clearance over obstacles I hit before.

I have noticed however that a few small rust spots were forming on the tank bottom. I tried to clean them up and painted the bottom of the tank for now.

Whole reason for doing this was to make room for possible 4 link rear someday but I like how things are currently and besides, rust is winning the battle on my rig. I need to put a stop to sinking money into this thing and enjoy it as it is for a while.

Great write up! I'll be doing this in my ST to gain clearance and to transference weight to the rear. Thx for the write up

I used a b2 tank. But mine has a solid steel skid.plate. i didnt cut.the xmemeber out my shocks r on the outside.of.my frame though... Like the shock mount looks good..

looking for an answer to the question about rick trying the tank and it not fitting.

Looks like a awesome option to run a second tank and I'm prepping my first tank to accept fuel from another.

I don't have a body lift but if the tank doesn't hang down as low as a 33" spare then I should be fine since I plan for more lift almost immediately and might run a skid plate

Which tank did you try Rick? Because the secondary f150 tank is only about 8" deep.

I never ended up installing the tank but now i want to put it in my sport trac to free up room for a 4 link. The fuel pump assembly will take some modification, mine bolts down instead of the locking ring.

I might be getting a tank this weekend then I can actually see where things will fit and not fit. Shocks might need to be pushed forward and tank modified to clear the rear leaf shackles but I’ll find that out soon

Interesting guys. I'm getting closer to trying to stick my old 93 tank into my 98(it's shorter and will make room for the BW4406).

Picked up a rear tank out of a 90s F350, definitely going to have to move my cross members higher, cut some things out and shocks forward

do you think this would fit in a ranger?
Nope I believe narrower frames at the rear, thus why the shackles are different as well

Back